๐Ÿบ Longview Lobos 2024 ๐Ÿˆ

Mr. P

3 hours ago, AledoAlumni said:

I've watched a fair number of Longview games these past two seasons. I've enjoyed the broadcast and the play by play guy is one of the best I've heard. Honestly wished he did our games. I know both seasons did not end like the players and fans were hoping but these two seasons have been successful. Yall have been extremely dominate and have played some of the best defense I've seen in 5A in a long time. Yall have had extremely talented kids make some awesome plays that I think yall will look back on in a positive light. I'd love for yall to throw a preseason game invite our way. I felt before I started following yall that yall are one of the iconic programs in Txhsfb and to me yall are the face of bEAST Tx football. Good luck moving forward!ย 

Defense has never been an issue at Longview. ย Theyโ€™re always stout on that side of the ball.ย 

3 hours ago, AledoAlumni said:

I've watched a fair number of Longview games these past two seasons. I've enjoyed the broadcast and the play by play guy is one of the best I've heard. Honestly wished he did our games. I know both seasons did not end like the players and fans were hoping but these two seasons have been successful. Yall have been extremely dominate and have played some of the best defense I've seen in 5A in a long time. Yall have had extremely talented kids make some awesome plays that I think yall will look back on in a positive light. I'd love for yall to throw a preseason game invite our way. I felt before I started following yall that yall are one of the iconic programs in Txhsfb and to me yall are the face of bEAST Tx football. Good luck moving forward!ย 

Would love to face Aledo in predistrict play. As others have said, we havenโ€™t faced tough teams like we used to. You saw Lancaster start 0-5 or something but the competition they played made them stronger as the year go on. Playing Aledo would only make Longview better and prepare them for later competition.ย 

• Thanks 1

On 11/27/2023 at 12:13 PM, nacdragon07 said:

im sorry winning your district championship isn't success ? going multiple rounds deep isn't success ? i get it you want more state championships it's easy to look at schools like carthage and aledo etc but i'm telling you longview is a successful program and King's tenure will back that up. i don't know if another coach for longview will do better.

Well, be satisfied then! ๐Ÿคฃ

8 hours ago, Michael Davidson said:

Well, be satisfied then! ๐Ÿคฃ

Thatโ€™s the problem, some folks are too scared to strive for greatness and thatโ€™s the Godโ€™s honest truth in this situation and in life.

This situation is the perfect example.

Good coach, wins district and more wins than any coach in Longview history, but turtles in big games 95% of the time. ย Could easily upgrade at least the OC/QB coach or make big changes and actually try to win state on a routine basis with all these athletes you have every single year.

ย 

Got a good job, pays pretty well with decent benefits, itโ€™s familiar and comfortable. This job, it doesnโ€™t require much effort anymore, kind of on autopilot. ย Could spiff up the resume and look for a job or company (coach) with a much higher ceiling for me (Longview) and actually apply my skill set (your Lobo athletes); learn the ropes and see if I canโ€™t just go out and double, triple or quadruple my income (state championships), with way less hours sitting behind a desk stuck in the same old rut (losing).

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Mr. P said:

Pump-your-brakes.gif

Dude, respectfully...ย  you have no idea what you're talking about. No. Idea.

I don't mean that in a derisive sense, but a very literal one.ย 

Longview is an extraordinarily difficult place to be the AD, and it has nothing to do with X's and O's. There are particular challenges at a big 5A/6A district that smaller ones cannot imagine. There are challenges unique to Longview that smaller towns will never know. There are a multitude of things that King is a master of, that literally no one on this forum is aware of, but that I see on a daily basis.ย 

Take him to task about his playcalling, sure, fine. That comes with the job. Every coach is gonna get called out for stuff like that. <shrug> I don't care.ย 

But his leadership within the department, the campus, the district, and entire LISD community is without peer. I'll die on that hill.ย 

I understand where youโ€™re coming from.

Yโ€™all enjoy.ย 

On 11/27/2023 at 9:49 PM, LoboFan07 said:

Just wanted to restate, I'm never (well I won't say never, cause you know a time will come) going to be one to push King to leave.

Everything that's been said on this thread about him and how other programs would love for our success, and how he is the best coach that Longview has ever had...are true.

I've talked about it on the 6A board, I've talked about it in person. This year, to me, just felt completely off from the get go. The band Friday night, you could barely hear at all. The cheerleaders, literally did not move and cheer once. I don't even know why they're out there to be brutally honest. The penalties. My god. The penalties. It's been like this since the 2018 season. I don't know how you fix it but King's ability to coach an O line, sure is there...but you just continue to allow these kids to jump off with no punishment. I don't get it. The play calling...every year. Conservative when it matters most. Not trusting in the guy that led you there to take you home. Whether it was his own son in his sophomore year. Whether it was even Bivins back in the day. Whether it was Allen his senior year. Tutt in second halves. It's just, just mind boggling some of the decision making that goes on. Overall though, just the lulls in play through out the year showed us our true side. It looked like they turned a corner come playoff time, but end of day, Tatum showed just how much he meant to this team.

King, again, greatest coach we've had had. More than doubled every other coach in Lobo history in playoff wins.

His achievements though will always be marred by his defeats. Longview has 5 games in the playoffs where they've blown 10+ point leads, all of them under King's watch. The only one that we got lucky in to pull out was Lufkin 2017.

This was the largest playoff comeback against Longview since 2010. It's going to hurt people. The Guyer game is still talked about, especially being on kick away from going to State. This one isn't going away anytime soon. Especially with how resounding of a win that we had at their own stadium, with or without Tatum.

Finally the top rated RB in the country is mentioned. Longview runs a run dominated offense. They always have.

They played their round 3 playoff game VS a team that was every bit as athletic as the Lobos are.

Now for whatever reason Lancaster underperformed this year until mid season. They have been real good since then.ย 

Now letโ€™s add in the Tatum factor. His backups are exceptional HS RBโ€™s but they are not him. As a matter of football expert fact you can say no one in the country is him.ย 

That huge factor is the reason Longview wonโ€™t be playing Forney tonight.ย 

7 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

So last year Longview had the top rated WR. ย Why not be pass happy? ย Still run happy and ABSOLUTELY NO CREATIVITY IN HOW TO USE HIM WHEN THE GAME IS ON THE LINE AND A ONE HOUR DELAY TO COME UP WITH โ€œslang it down the fieldโ€ TWICE!!!!! ย No plan to get yards and shorten the 4th down opportunity. ย Why? ย Because KING is a run first coach. ย Itโ€™s not Longview, itโ€™s King. ย He has no clue how to do something else. ย He does what he does and loses when it matters. ย 
ย 

im out, die on the hill

Totally different.
ย 

Like the 90% of NFL teams now are built around QBโ€™s, Longview is built around the RB. If Mahomes goes down, Rodgers goes downโ€ฆ. those teams lose. Tatum went down. Longview had great 2โ€™s & 3โ€™s but those 2โ€™s and 3โ€™s arenโ€™t Mahomes, Rodgers or on the Longview HS level built around the run Tatum.ย 

1 hour ago, DB2point0 said:

So he couldnโ€™t adapt to his next best strength? ย Just did what he does? ย 

Offensively thatโ€™s exactly what Longview did. They ran the ball. They just couldnโ€™t with Tatum cause he wasnโ€™t there. Helย 3/4 of the people posting all week acted like Tatum wasnโ€™t even gonna be missed. Personally that made me wonder what are they smoking. # 1 back in America wasnโ€™t gonna be missed. Yโ€™all should ripping each other for that obvious miss read.ย 

Also, Longview had the lead til midway thru the 4th. Running the ball also eats the clock.ย 
ย 

Believe what you want. But think about KC now playing without Mahomes & Green Bay or the Jets now playing without Rogers. Results would be? Anyhow thatโ€™s my take on why Longview lost.ย 

On 11/29/2023 at 1:32 PM, JohnnyFootball said:

I'd still love to hear what people think of Samples at Duncanville. Really wish I coud've seen what they thought before he finally won a title.ย 

Id say heโ€™s underachieved with the talent heโ€™s had. ย Lots of folks couldโ€™ve had the same results heโ€™s had.

On 11/30/2023 at 5:27 PM, AledoAlumni said:

Classy Guy, you are Brother. But, John King (for whatever reason) is NOT trying to schedule you guys for a preseason. It would unequivocally make us better as a team, though. Iโ€™m definitely all for it. As the younger generation would say, โ€œHe AINโ€™T trying to catch that fade!โ€ In his latter years, heโ€™s ducking and dodging ALL smoke that he can. Heโ€™d put the Marshall Mavericks on the schedule 2-3 times straight rather than to put yโ€™all on ONCE!ย 

1 hour ago, Quick said:

Classy Guy, you are Brother. But, John King (for whatever reason) is NOT trying to schedule you guys for a preseason. It would unequivocally make us better as a team, though. Iโ€™m definitely all for it. As the younger generation would say, โ€œHe AINโ€™T trying to catch that fade!โ€ In his latter years, heโ€™s ducking and dodging ALL smoke that he can. Heโ€™d put the Marshall Mavericks on the schedule 2-3 times straight rather than to put yโ€™all on ONCE!ย 

Didnโ€™t ย Longview play Ryan in the preseason? I say theyโ€™re on the same level Minus the championships .

9 minutes ago, Lion7000 said:

Didnโ€™t ย Longview play Ryan in the preseason? I say theyโ€™re on the same level Minus the championships .

Our schedule isnโ€™t hard to find, Brother. Hell, MaxPreps even has a complete list of this yearโ€™s schedule.

1 hour ago, Quick said:

Our schedule isnโ€™t hard to find, Brother. Hell, MaxPreps even has a complete list of this yearโ€™s schedule.

That wasnโ€™t what I asked. ย Ryan is a hard hitter and Longview just put them on the schedule. You make it sound like Longview only plays Pine tree and Marshall of the worlds .ย 

9 minutes ago, WolverBean said:

With us official back in 6a next year we probably 9 team district so only two nondistrict games ,we know bleh marshall be oneย  those ,it toss up between Tyler high or lufkin for the secondย 

Which one do yโ€™all prefer? Both are good rivals.ย 

5 hours ago, Lion7000 said:

Which one do yโ€™all prefer? Both are good rivals.ย 

You can't beat a Longview-Lufkin rivalry game atmosphere, even if it has been lopsided lately.

But Tyler High is headed in a different direction than Lufkin. I know Lufkin's '25 class is strong but Tyler High may actually be a more formidable opponent for us moving forward.

ย 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ANTI said:

You can't beat a Longview-Lufkin rivalry game atmosphere, even if it has been lopsided lately.

But Tyler High is headed in a different direction than Lufkin. I know Lufkin's '25 class is strong but Tyler High may actually be a more formidable opponent for us moving forward.

ย 

Thanks for your input. I know we donโ€™t get along but I completely understand and respect your take on Longview and sports in general. I got to tip my hat to you, Johnny , and 07. I would definitely listen to as podcast lol.

• Thanks 1