Minimum wage for East Texans?

Guest Sideliner

Guest Sideliner

Your U.S. representative was among the minority of House members who refused to give low-wage workers a raise Wednesday. Your representative voted against raising the minimum wage from $5.15 an hour—where it has been stuck for nearly 10 years—to $7.25.

That had to be one of the most callous votes ever cast. How can a member of Congress paid more than $165,000 a year from the public till deny low-wage workers a $2.10 pay raise? All House Democrats and 82 Republicans voted for the minimum wage increase. Representatives like yours who voted “no” went out of their way—and out of the mainstream—to stand against working people. Have they no shame?

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bleedsbluengold24
Originally posted by Sideliner

Your U.S. representative was among the minority of House members who refused to give low-wage workers a raise Wednesday. Your representative voted against raising the minimum wage from $5.15 an hour—where it has been stuck for nearly 10 years—to $7.25.

That had to be one of the most callous votes ever cast. How can a member of Congress paid more than $165,000 a year from the public till deny low-wage workers a $2.10 pay raise? All House Democrats and 82 Republicans voted for the minimum wage increase. Representatives like yours who voted “no” went out of their way—and out of the mainstream—to stand against working people. Have they no shame?

Maybe the reason this representative voted no was because this Republican sees how damaging to an economy an artificially inflated mandatory minimum wage can be.

If I am forced to raise the minimum wage that some of my employees make, I will have no choice but to either terminate some employees, or pass that increase on to my customers, or both. If prices go up to compensate for the increase in minimum wage, then the increase has not benefitted anyone and has probably cost some their jobs. Employees who show they are worthy, generally do not make minimum wage for long. The minimum wage is an entry level wage, not a long term wage.

The minimum wage should be what the market will bear. If I pay my help $5.15/hr, and several other employers in town are paying $5.50, then I'm going to have to give my employees a pay increase, or I'm going to lose them to other, higher-paying employers. If I need employees, I'm going to have to at least pay them what other employers are paying. If I don't, I can't get employees to come to work for me.

This artificial inflation of the minimum wage is a political move designed to buy votes. The Republicans who are voting for it are trying to regain some political clout lost in the last mid-term election. This could prove to slow an otherwise healthy economy.

Those who voted no can not be accused of standing against working people. That's preposterous.

Compared to most East Texans, I'm relatively liberal, but this is something I applaud the East Texas rep. for voting against. All this means is that the cost of everything from water, to gas, to food, to clothes, will rise in price. The min. wage worker will not bring any more money home. The real loser is the middle class worker who will not get any raise out of this, but be forced to pay the increased prices.

Guest bleedsbluengold24

Bingo, D!

Let's say I have 9 employees.

3 make $5.15

3 make $7.50

3 make $9.75

If this minimum wage is artificially inflated, now I have

3 @ $7.25

3 @ $7.50

3 @ $9.75

6 employees have gotten a relative pay cut, because everyone is still doing the same jobs but the lowest pay group got a pay increase. Production has not changed, only the amount I pay my lowest paid workers and the price I charge for my product.

Guest bleedsbluengold24

Hey Sideliner, you need to get back on here and defend your stance. So far, you're 0-6. If you're going to post this, and attack these reprentatives who voted against it, you need to have a valid arguement other than "Representatives like yours who voted “no” went out of their way—and out of the mainstream—to stand against working people. Have they no shame?"

That's not much of an arguement.

Why is what they did so wrong?

Originally posted by bleedsbluengold24

Bingo, D!

Let's say I have 9 employees.

3 make $5.15

3 make $7.50

3 make $9.75

If this minimum wage is artificially inflated, now I have

3 @ $7.25

3 @ $7.50

3 @ $9.75

6 employees have gotten a relative pay cut, because everyone is still doing the same jobs but the lowest pay group got a pay increase. Production has not changed, only the amount I pay my lowest paid workers and the price I charge for my product.

You nailed it Bleeds, as a small business owner the only thing I would change on your comment is that there are only going to be two @ 7.25.

Guest bleedsbluengold24

No. It's one of those "First 100 Hours" things the dems said they would push pass out of the house. However, the President has given it some attention. He said he might consider signing it if tax breaks could be attached to it.

I don't know what to think about the President these days. Raising the MW is something you would expect out of the dems and he is considering it, but the tax cut caveat is Republican. Looks to me like he's just trying to get along instead of standing on conservative principles.

Guest bleedsbluengold24
Originally posted by imyahuckleberry

You nailed it Bleeds, as a small business owner the only thing I would change on your comment is that there are only going to be two @ 7.25.

Great point.

Originally posted by bleedsbluengold24
Originally posted by imyahuckleberry

Great point.

Looking at Bleeds' avatar, he may be UNION! If so he surely wouldn't do that, would he? :unsure::tongue:

Originally posted by bleedsbluengold24[/i

I don't know what to think about the President these days. Raising the MW is something you would expect out of the dems and he is considering it, but the tax cut caveat is Republican. Looks to me like he's just trying to get along instead of standing on conservative principles.

Same here Bleeds, I was a huge Bush supporter at the beginning of this current term, unfortuantely some of the things he's been saying and doing are making me scratch my head more and more...

The minimum wage should not be raised. Each time you raise the minimum wage you cut into the everyone's pocketbook. The cost of living goes up for everyone. The minimum wage earners are affected as well... so how does that help them? I just don't know.

I think Bush is fence straddling, trying to appease the Democrats. Not sure what to think of his administration.

Guest bleedsbluengold24
Originally posted by Voted4Dubya

I haven't made minimum wage in years, and I don't know anyone that makes it. So who cares?

You should. It is those who earn the minimum wage that do jobs we take for granted. How would you like your meal at Chili's to cost more because the dishwashers/busboys, etc., got a $2.10 raise for doing the same exact job they were doing before the raise? If this wage is artificially inflated, that's what will happen. The cost of goods and services go up to compensate for the cost of raising wages. It ends up affecting everyone.

Guest Sideliner

Inflation has eroded the minimum wage's buying power to the lowest level in about 50 years in the time since the last increase took effect. According to Labor Department statistics, 479,000 workers paid by the hour earned exactly $5.15 in 2005, the most recent estimate available.

More than two dozen states and the District of Columbia have minimum wages higher than the federal level. The political potency of the issue was evident last November, when proposals to raise statewide minimums passed in all six states where they came to a vote.

Are all you guys willing to give back ALL the raises you have gotten over the last ten years? Thats how long it has been since these wage earners got a raise.

Did not think so!!!!!!!!!!!!

The last two times the min wage was raised, it was offset by tax breaks for employers, the government effectively subsidizing the wage increase. Of course, all this was pre-Bush (so it ain't his fault!). It is really S.O.P., but this time the Dems don't want to play ball, therefore socking it to the small businessman and, ultimately, to his former employees.

Remember what I said about right things vs. right ways? Prime example!

Are all you guys willing to give back ALL the raises you have gotten over the last ten years? Thats how long it has been since these wage earners got a raise.

If someone has been making only min wage for 10 years, then they either are terrible workers, or have no aspiration.

My point in this is that you act like people making min wage ten years ago are the same people making min wage now.

You cant compare what one person has gotten in raises in one job for ten years to a national min wage of the same length.

Guest bleedsbluengold24

Inflation has eroded the minimum wage's buying power to the lowest level in about 50 years in the time since the last increase took effect. According to Labor Department statistics, 479,000 workers paid by the hour earned exactly $5.15 in 2005, the most recent estimate available.

More than two dozen states and the District of Columbia have minimum wages higher than the federal level. The political potency of the issue was evident last November, when proposals to raise statewide minimums passed in all six states where they came to a vote.

One of the points you miss is one that I have made already is that the minimum wage is an entry level wage. It is not meant to be a long-term wage. Employees are expected to earn a higher wage as they stay with a job to move up, if you will and let other, newer, less experienced employees take their jobs. I dare say those wage earners you so passioinately represent haven't been earning minimum wage for ten years. If they have been, they may not deserve a raise.

The only thing I agree with in the original post is it is pretty hard on the ears to hear our representative gets over $165,000 a year. The ultimate oxymoron is seeing how much money politicians spend for elections compared to how much they get on their check.

LOL, the mindset, yeah costs are going to be higher. Inflation isn't a new thing. I see it as the Good Ole Boy syndrome. "We got to keep them boys (people) in their place". It applies to "Bread and Circuses".

You have your way out, hire an illegal immigrant for less, and pay them under the table. I'm more conservative, than you can imagine. There's nothing wrong with paying an honest days wage, for an honest day's work.

Rethink your logic, and you'll know what I'm saying. It's when you cheat your fellow man, and what he has done for you, and you cheat God and what He has done for you, that you'll understand we're not stepping stones, we're clay. Finding ways to circumvent, what your desires are, and treat your fellow man, how you'd like to be treated.

Are you better by cheating your brother ? Or by helping your brother ? Will chastising a child, man, or woman for their selfish behavior make them better, or lead them to more self loathing ? In the immortal words of E.Y. "Yip" Harburg and Jay Gorney "Brother, Can You Spare A Dime". If people would be more charitable, this world would be a better place.

The way I see it, we're a better people helping each other, than putting stumbling blocks before each other.

I don't mind wage increases, for people that are "Blue Collar", I think they deserve it far more than sometimes the inventor. I'd rather see someone doing a job, than resting on their laurels and saying I did this, and I created that. In my opinion, give credit and pay where credit is due.