5* OU RB Joe Mixon Involved in Altercation

sawemoff

I guess OU was tired of Texas and A&M hogging the headlines...

Joe Mixon, University of Oklahoma running back and former Rivals.com five-star recruit, was involved in a serious altercation early this morning that led to the summoning of the Norman Police department, a source from within the Norman Police Department told SoonerScoop.com.

Norman police responded to an incident at Pickleman's Gourmet Café in Norman at 2:39 a.m. on Friday. A spokesman for Pickleman's gave no comment on the situation.

A synopsis of the report suggests aggravated assault and battery.

​ ​

Sources indicated Mixon was not arrested at the scene as officers wanted to study security footage of the incident before filing any charges. Police did receive footage of the incident today.

The incident report obtained by SoonerScoop contains limited information, as one or more juveniles is involved. A spokesman for OU is aware of the incident and issued the following statement:

"We are aware of the matter and it is under internal review."

Norman Police told SoonerScoop.com a public information officer was not available to comment on the details of the incident.

Mixon was capping off a night of celebration as Thursday was his 18th birthday.

What I'm reading is a girl and her homosexual friend were bothered by Mixon and his friends and started talking. Finally she called him a racial slur and slapped him and he just hit back. He immediately freaked out, started crying (foreseeing his career end before it began) and left.

Here is what we have from a source on the Joe Mixon situation:

1. Joe Mixon was at Pickleman’s last night. Our source was there as well.

2. Source tells us that a woman who appeared to be drunk came into Pickleman’s and starting “taking sh*t” to Joe for no apparent reason.

3. Source said Joe actually responded quite calmly to her.

4. Source said that while he (the source) was there, he never saw anyone hit anyone. Source also said that Joe never even raised his voice.

5. Source also told us that the woman involved left before he (the source) and Mixon left.

6. Another source tells us that Joe deleted his twitter account for reasons completely unrelated to this.

If something else happened, we are not able to confirm it at this time. The above notes are all we have been able to confirm.

- UPDATE (5:24 pm): Here’s what we’ve got from a second source completely independent of the first. However, this source was not present but is close to people who were:

1. Source said that a girl was “mouthing off” to Joe and then “kind of pushed him”.

2. Source said Joe “just laughed and tried to walk off”.

3. Source said that the girl continued to verbally attack Joe.

4. Source said that it’s his understanding that Joe “never touched her but there was a small argument…mostly her yelling”.

Again, we are just passing along what we are hearing. We can’t get any confirmation so far from anyone that Joe physically attacked anyone. That isn’t to say that he did or didn’t. But we have yet to receive a credible report of Joe striking the girl. We’ll keep working on this.

I don't know if this is any newer than the info we're getting from Oklahoma outlets.

San Jose Mercury News
Joe Mixon, top Bay Area football recruit, subject of investigation for alleged assault
By Jeff Faraudo and Stephanie Hammon
Staff writers
POSTED: 07/25/2014 05:20:24 PM PDT UPDATED: ABOUT 3 HOURS AGO

Former Bay Area high school football star Joe Mixon is the subject of a police investigation for alleged aggravated assault in Norman, Oklahoma, where he is a freshman on the Oklahoma football team, according to KWTV-News 9 of Oklahoma City.

A witness told the TV station that Mixon assaulted a woman early Friday morning. The victim said she was attacked and suffered several broken bones in her face.

Kevin Finlay, an attorney in Norman, confirmed to this newspaper that he was contacted by Mixon shortly after the incident.

"We've been fully cooperating with the authorities, and Joe is looking forward to the truth coming out," Finlay said.

Contrary to previous reports, Finlay said the police are not actively looking for Mixon, a former Freedom High-Oakley star.

"I had heard it had escalated to a manhunt, and that's absolutely not true," Finlay said. "I've been in constant contact with the authorities, and when requested, Joe will be made available to them."

A spokesman for the Norman police department told this newspaper that officers responded to a reported aggravated assault at Pickleman's Gourmet Deli near campus at 2:40 a.m. Friday. No one was arrested.

"Because it is an active investigation, I'm not at liberty to discuss information about the victim or the suspect," Major J.D. Younger said in a phone interview.

A spokesman for the Oklahoma athletic department said the university is aware of the incident.

"We are aware of this matter and it is under review. We take these reports very seriously," according to a department statement.

The Oklahoma State Courts Network website said an assault or battery is classified as aggravated when "great bodily injury is inflicted upon the person assaulted; or when committed by a person of robust health or strength upon one who is aged, decrepit, or incapacitated, as defined in Section 641 of this title."

It is punishable in Oklahoma by up to five years in prison or $500 in fines, or both.

Mixon was celebrating his 18th birthday on Thursday night, according to SoonerScoop.com, an Oklahoma football website.

Mixon, who rushed for 1,704 yards and 23 touchdowns last fall at Freedom, was Oklahoma's top recruit in 2014. OU quarterback Trevor Knight tweeted birthday wishes to Mixon on Thursday, calling him "The Next Big Thing in Norman!"

When will kids learn that bad things happen when partying, especially after 2 AM. Dumb, dumb dumb.
Just have to wait and see how it shakes out. If Mixon did indeed punch her out, regardless if she provoked him, Bob should show him the door.
We don't need the reputation of Thug U.
I wonder if Stoops is second-guessing himself over taking DGB now?

If the allegations are true, ship him off. We don't need that kinda ####, I don't care how many "stars" he is.

Yep.

Alcohol and bad decisions, who would have believed that.

He played QB at OU, backup. Was at Syracuse last year.

I'm not sure why he would know anything specifically though.

As a fan of college football, it is tiring hearing of all the trouble surrounding the players, no matter the school. Seems like a free ride to college would hamper some of their actions off the field and not put themselves in this type of environment. Hopefully, it turns out well for this kid!

As a fan of college football, it is tiring hearing of all the trouble surrounding the players, no matter the school. Seems like a free ride to college would hamper some of their actions off the field and not put themselves in this type of environment. Hopefully, it turns out well for this kid!

A lot of these players could care less about the free ride. They just want to get paid. How dare the university make money off my talent...

Berry Tramel, who writes for the Daily Oklahoman, hits a home run with this article:

Destroying the 'wrong place at the wrong time' myth
JOE MIXON — Wrong place at the wrong time doesn’t always mean unlucky. Sometimes it means you placed yourself in the wrong place at the wrong time. What can coaches and teammates do to get through to young players that being out late and around alcohol is a sure way to find trouble?
by Berry Tramel Modified: July 26, 2014 at 7:52 pm • Published: July 26, 2014

Joe Mixon’s OU football career is in jeopardy before it’s even begun. Perhaps the most ballyhooed OU recruit since Adrian Peterson and Rhett Bomar didn’t even make it to August before drawing the interest of Norman peace officers.

An OU student says Mixon hit her early Friday morning, breaking four bones in her face. Norman police are investigating.

Who knows what happened and what will happen? Maybe Mixon is a thug, and if so, might as well discover it now, although that’s no consolation for the coed. If Mixon slugged a woman, he should be gone, regardless of the district attorney’s ultimate decision.

The patience for assaults on women is growing thin in the athletic arena, hither and yon. The ridiculously lenient NFL suspension of Ray Rice (two games for dragging his then-fiancee out of an elevator by the hair on her head) flamed the topic just a couple of days ago. And Bob Stoops has had to wrestle with the issue repeatedly this calendar year, first with the Frank Shannon sexual assault allegation, followed by OU’s decision to bring in transfer Dorial Green-Beckham, who at Missouri had been accused of pushing a female student down a flight of stairs.

Or maybe Mixon was just in the wrong place at the wrong time, which is not to be confused with bad luck. No matter what happened, Mixon put himself in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Campus Corner, just after the bars closed, 2:40 a.m.

It’s easy for all of us over 20 to say get your butt home at a reasonable hour. Nothing good comes from seeking adventure between midnight and dawn. But that’s a lesson many have to learn from experience.

“When you’re 19 or 20 years old, I don’t know what you would say to ’em,” said Trent Smith, an all-Big 12 tight end at OU in 2002. “If you’re that age, and you’re away from home for the first time … I remember what I was like. It was very liberating.”

How do coaches preach against that?

“I don’t know what you do on that,” Smith said. “I’m sure that’s a question every major college football coach has asked himself a million times. I don’t know what you can say to ’em. You can scare ’em. But guys are going to be guys. They’re responsible for their actions. You can’t fix stupid.”

Paul Thompson, who quarterbacked OU to the 2006 Big 12 championship, remembers those times well.

“You get that freedom, you’re on your own for the first time in your life,” Thompson said. “A lot of players will take advantage of that. A lot of people. Students as well. You can now do things you wouldn’t do when you were living with your parents. Whether it’s good or bad, the party doesn’t have to stop when the street lights come on, like it did when you were at home.”

This is not necessarily a football problem or an athletic problem. It’s a student life problem. The only differences are, football players at schools like OU tend to draw attention, especially if alcohol is involved, and if things get wayward, the story makes the newspaper.

But athlete or not, let’s hear no more nonsense that every student walks on the edge, that every student tempts the fates. That’s not true and it’s a cop-out to say so.

There is one difference between the athlete and non-athlete: athletes are repeatedly warned about their fish bowl existence and the possible consequences.

Thompson said OU’s staff had student trainers who hung out with the players socially and would report to coaches if someone flirted with trouble. Stoops annually brings in speakers to talk to his team, including Norman police officials, who talk about driving under the influence, public intoxication, assault circumstances. “He educates players very, very well,” Thompson said. “It’s just a degree of responsibility each player has to have. Sometimes they slip up.”

Thompson, about as straight an arrow as you’ll find, slipped up himself. In 2004, Thompson left a party around midnight, drove home, was pulled over and eventually charged with DUI.

Thompson said his exemplary record to that point kept him from too much hot water. His team punishment was internal (extra conditioning drills), and Thompson eventually worked his way back into Stoops’ good graces.

“He’s pretty fair when it comes to treating players equally, when it comes to dishing out punishment,” Thompson said. “He let everybody know, we have something we have to live up to and hold as far as representing the university.”

Thompson got wiser. Maybe the Mixon case can at least serve as warning to other athletes. The risk far outweighs the rewards.

Smith said he saw plenty of 3 a.m.’s his first year or two on campus. But eventually, the allure was gone.

“For most (older) guys, they’re getting their degree, thinking about their future, ‘where I’m going to work, how I’m going to make a living,’” Smith said. “Becoming a man. You get interested in other things. Not wanting to go to the frat houses, not wanting to stay out to closing time on Campus Corner.”

But the younger guys are excited at the lack of restraints.

“You get a little bit of freedom, you want to fit in, you want to hang with the crowd, whatever,” Thompson said. “You can get yourself in trouble. Especially if alcohol is involved, incidents are going to take place.”

Smith said one problem is that older players, who have learned a thing or two, and younger players, who haven’t, don’t much mix socially. “I wasn’t real close to any of the young guys in my meeting room,” Smith said. “A lot of the older guys aren’t going the same places the younger guys are.”

It’s a combustible recipe. And coaches have to weigh a variety of factors in trying to mentor, and discipline, the players in their charge.

“I feel bad for coaches, because they are responsible for 105 student-athletes,” Thompson said. “They get a lot of the blame when they get in trouble. But what are your kids doing right now? Most people don’t know what their own two, three kids are doing.”

And so Joe Mixon’s football career, and maybe the course of his life, hangs in the balance after a too-late night on Campus Corner.

“You gotta be smarter than that,” Smith said. “I don’t know what he was doing, I wasn’t there. But Mom always said, ‘Nothing good happens after midnight.’

“The common sense reaction is get your (butt home). What are you doing? I think a normal response of guys like you and like me and any normal person is, what are you doing? You’re being an idiot. You’re blowing it. You’ve got the world on a silver platter and you’re trying to give it away.”

And that comes from a guy who admits he didn’t always get his butt home when he was 19. At best, and there is a lot of room for worse, Joe Mixon was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Berry Tramel, who writes for the Daily Oklahoman, hits a home run with this article:

I agree with this so hard… and I'll say what I've said in past situations. I believe in second chances—and, as a Christian, I believe every sinner can be redeemed—but let him have his second chance elsewhere.

By losing the privilege of playing big time college football, may he become a better man by understanding that every action has a consequence, and terrible actions have terrible consequences.

As I said on tech thread never a reason to hit a woman. Anyone who tries to justify it showes their own character.

A woman is threatening your wife and daughter with a gun. Or beating on them. What do you do? Ask nicely for them to stop? Lmao

A white knight too? Boy, you're a trifecta of idiocy.

No one said defending family but you trying to turn it into something you can defend. How many crimes, as you have said, are committed by women? Yea that's right very very few. Since your the research guy why don't you throw out some evidence to make us all fear the great number of women who threaten people with a gun. Complete lack of character and with the evidence coming out it seems your point gets even worse.

And yes I spill hold open doors for ladies, give up my seat, and treat them with respect even when they don't deserve it but maybe your equal rights and lefts works for you but to me it's called lack of character

So what you're saying is that there is a time to hit a woman, then?