4a Division 1 Contenders

Champ1000

Who wins?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/06/2019 at 08:44 PM

I agree.......Argyle has the best offense in 4A-D1 right now IMO.  But their D is not up to standards when it comes to playing another very good offensive team that also  has a great defense.  I don't see Argyle having the whole package to take them all the way to another title.  They might be able to make it to Jerryworld, but then again they might not. Can a really good offensive team with a young defense win it all???  It's possible, but not very likely against a top team with both.

Argyle will go thru a gamut of good quality playoff-bound teams of Paris, Melissa, and then Celina in their own district just to get to the playoffs.  We will know more about them and their defense after they play these teams in district play.  There are still other high quality playoff teams in Region II like La Vega, Brownwood, and some others they will have to play also to win the Region.

This junior class, along with the seniors that are left, are a special group. I have watched these boys play since Junior High, since my son is also a Junior, and they have plenty of talent. We all know that defense wins Championships, and this defense is showing signs of getting better each week and being a wrecking ball in the playoffs. Surratt will have the offensive issues worked out and they will be firing on all cylinders. I know Carthage is not bulletproof by no means, but they have a pretty good suit of armour that they are trying to build. Go Dawgs!!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, H3llR4z0r said:

I just feel like Carthage is the ultimate contender, especially when their staff believes this is the best team Carthage has ever fielded. 

I think Surratt & Co feel this could be the best team they’ve fielded when it’s all said and done.

I don’t think they have proclaimed this team as their best, yet.

10 hours ago, H3llR4z0r said:

How do you start the year with the defending state champion not at #1? I mean, it's obvious now, but I've always been the type of person that can't take the #1 spot from a team that earns it, until someone beats them. 

Why do they have to start the season at No. 1? Just because they won a title last year? Does that guarantee anything for this season? Does that entitle them to anything, or make the road back to Jerry World any easier? That ranking is completely arbitrary anyway, so if that's how you want to slot your rankings, by all means, have at it! But I looked at what La Vega had coming back from that team that won the title and saw that almost the entire defense was going to have to be replaced. That defense is what got them to that championship game. Certainly they have the athletes and the coaching to do that again, but to start the year, I felt like what Argyle had coming back was better than what La Vega had coming back.

It's not a slight to La Vega at all. And rankings, like I said, are completely arbitrary anyway. So that's how I started the year, personally, with La Vega not being my top No. 1 team in 4A Div. I. 

7 hours ago, regaleagle said:

Argyle will go thru a gamut of good quality playoff-bound teams of Paris, Melissa, and then Celina in their own district just to get to the playoffs.  We will know more about them and their defense after they play these teams in district play.  There are still other high quality playoff teams in Region II like La Vega, Brownwood, and some others they will have to play also to win the Region.

These next few weeks are going to tell us a lot about the District 7 contenders. If Celina's young defense has grown and matured enough to slow down Paris and pull off the upset, then I'd say watch out for the Bobcats, because they've got all the right pieces to get into contention. Just lacking that experience. We've competed with some really good, really athletic teams. Now we need to put it together and finish. Once they figure that piece out, it's going to get really fun.

Either way, regardless of how the teams from District 5 and 7 finish, I think they'll all be beating each other up in the playoffs. Region II winner comes from that pool of eight teams, no doubt about it.

22 minutes ago, d0tc0m said:

Why do they have to start the season at No. 1? Just because they won a title last year? Does that guarantee anything for this season? Does that entitle them to anything, or make the road back to Jerry World any easier? That ranking is completely arbitrary anyway, so if that's how you want to slot your rankings, by all means, have at it! But I looked at what La Vega had coming back from that team that won the title and saw that almost the entire defense was going to have to be replaced. That defense is what got them to that championship game. Certainly they have the athletes and the coaching to do that again, but to start the year, I felt like what Argyle had coming back was better than what La Vega had coming back.

It's not a slight to La Vega at all. And rankings, like I said, are completely arbitrary anyway. So that's how I started the year, personally, with La Vega not being my top No. 1 team in 4A Div. I. 

I feel you. It was a serious question. They're just one of those teams that seem to find themselves in the mix regardless of what they lose each season. Kind of like Carthage... only... not haha. 

7 minutes ago, H3llR4z0r said:

I feel you. It was a serious question. They're just one of those teams that seem to find themselves in the mix regardless of what they lose each season. Kind of like Carthage... only... not haha. 

Yeah, I’m with you. La Vega will never have a shortage of athletes, just like Carthage. And just like Carthage, they’ve got great coaching. That’s why it seems like they’re always in the mix. 

41 minutes ago, coachkells said:

This is going to be a great tread as the season progresses.  

Especially if one teams comes back to reality. I expect the top three to be undefeated when they meet other than the Arygle victory lol. I assume Arygle would meet Carthage in the state championship.

16 minutes ago, Champ1000 said:

Especially if one teams comes back to reality. I expect the top three to be undefeated when they meet other than the Arygle victory lol. I assume Arygle would meet Carthage in the state championship.

Argyle will most likely have to beat La Vega again for that to happen.  

22 hours ago, coachkells said:

Argyle will most likely have to beat La Vega again for that to happen.  

Not to mention, La Vega will have to beat some good teams to get back to a rematch. So will Argyle. The Eagles and the Pirates are without question the region favorites, but Region II is going to be a gauntlet.

24 minutes ago, cotton84 said:

Brownwood has given up 32 points in 6 games. Pretty impressive. 

Very impressive. That district is going to be fun to watch play out too. Especially if Stephenville jumps all over La Vega in the first half next week. The Pirates still starting the first half with no varsity players?

And La Vega's opponents are a combined 14-17, and only two of those opponents have a winning record (Argyle, LBJ). Brownwood has done exactly what they should do against the teams on their schedule: win ... convincingly. Holding opponents to 32 points is impressive. La Vega's schedule, apart from Argyle, isn't much to write home about either. But just like Brownwood, the Pirates have done what they should do, and that's win.

And, of course, opponent won-loss records won't matter when these two teams meet up, obviously.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, d0tc0m said:

And La Vega's opponents are a combined 14-17, and only two of those opponents have a winning record (Argyle, LBJ). Brownwood has done exactly what they should do against the teams on their schedule: win ... convincingly. Holding opponents to 32 points is impressive. La Vega's schedule, apart from Argyle, isn't much to write home about either. But just like Brownwood, the Pirates have done what they should do, and that's win.

And, of course, opponent won-loss records won't matter when these two teams meet up, obviously.

Shame on Brownwood for playing good defense thru 6 games. They should know LaVega is the only one in 4A Div 1 who is supposed to play good defense 

4 minutes ago, cotton84 said:

Shame on Brownwood for playing good defense thru 6 games. They should know LaVega is the only one in 4A Div 1 who is supposed to play good defense 

Never said they didn't play great defense.  Only giving up 32 points is great over 6 games is pretty darn good.   

1 hour ago, coachkells said:

Brownwood 6-0 against teams with a 12-20 Record combined.  The only team that has a winning record is Brock and Brownwood won that game 10-0.  

True, but you still play whomever is on the schedule......and they've done an excellent job not giving up points to those teams.  I can understand the schedule and the undefeated part......it remains to be seen how they will fare in district play against LV, CS, and Stephenville.  Now if they win 2/3 of those......then I'd  say they are most certainly a definite contender in the playoffs.

By the same reasoning......If Argyle or Melissa, or Celina, or Paris comes out of district play into the playoffs with only one loss in district......then that does not mean any  of these teams cannot win the region. It's possible for one of these teams to have even 2 losses in District 7 and still win the region......just depends.

7 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

By the same reasoning......If Argyle or Melissa, or Celina, or Paris comes out of district play into the playoffs with only one loss in district......then that does not mean any  of these teams cannot win the region. It's possible for one of these teams to have even 2 losses in District 7 and still win the region......just depends.

Agreed. Any team that wins the region and moves on is going to have to have talent, obviously. But matchups will come into play here, as will health, depth and the always needed, rarely-found, little bit of luck at the right time.

Lots of variables come playoff time, and lots of key matchups and good football left before the postseason.

4 minutes ago, d0tc0m said:

Agreed. Any team that wins the region and moves on is going to have to have talent, obviously. But matchups will come into play here, as will health, depth and the always needed, rarely-found, little bit of luck at the right time.

Lots of variables come playoff time, and lots of key matchups and good football left before the postseason.

The winner of Region 2 will definitely be the most battle tested team in the Semi Finials.