2019-20 East Texas 5A Sports Thread

Mavchamp

The current playoff projections for week 6. 

W5. LONE STAR VS F6. SAMUELL

R8. COLLEGE STATION VS T7. WEST MESQUITE

W6. HIGHLAND PARK VS F5. WAKELAND  

R7. JOHN TYLER VS T8. MAGNOLIA

W7. MCKINNEY NORTH VS F8. MAGNOLIA WEST

R6. LANCASTER VS T5. INDEPENDENCE 

W8. LUFKIN VS F7. SHERMAN

R5. THE COLONY VS T6. MANS.TIMBERVIEW

I'm expecting a few changes with district 7-5A after some big games this week. District 6 has a bye this week. Honestly, after the first week of district for everyone, the winner of LS vs HP should still be the early favorite to win this region......and possibly state. 

23 minutes ago, Pack007 said:

The current playoff projections for week 6. 

W5. LONE STAR VS F6. SAMUELL

R8. COLLEGE STATION VS T7. WEST MESQUITE

W6. HIGHLAND PARK VS F5. WAKELAND  

R7. JOHN TYLER VS T8. MAGNOLIA

W7. MCKINNEY NORTH VS F8. MAGNOLIA WEST

R6. LANCASTER VS T5. INDEPENDENCE 

W8. LUFKIN VS F7. SHERMAN

R5. THE COLONY VS T6. MANS.TIMBERVIEW

I'm expecting a few changes with district 7-5A after some big games this week. District 6 has a bye this week. Honestly, after the first week of district for everyone, the winner of LS vs HP should still be the early favorite to win this region......and possibly state. 

Yea I hope lone star doesn’t flop and lose to the colony again so that way hp and lone star. Can go against each other early lol. God bless whoever is second place in our district. 

4 minutes ago, NODAYSOFFTX said:

Yea I hope lone star doesn’t flop and lose to the colony again so that way hp and lone star. Can go against each other early lol. God bless whoever is second place in our district. 

Yea, I don’t see them losing that game. As of right now, they are better than last season. The colony struggled on Friday too with one of the worst teams in that district. And I thought a few JT fans said they wanted HP again?? 😂 One even said y’all would win a second round game against them lol. 

2 hours ago, Pack007 said:

Yea, I don’t see them losing that game. As of right now, they are better than last season. The colony struggled on Friday too with one of the worst teams in that district. And I thought a few JT fans said they wanted HP again?? 😂 One even said y’all would win a second round game against them lol. 

Yes that was before we knew that Our offense can’t even score 21 points.  😂😂

• LOL! 1

Any expectations for this District. I would love to see 1-4 go deep into the playoffs with teams cancelling out each other.  I think it will be 

1. Marshall

2. Lindale

3. Pine Tree

4. Nac vs Whitehouse winner

The other District is John Tyler to lose and Texas High is in for a rough year.

Winning playoff games this season will be a tall order.

10-5A appears to be stacked.

Obviously A&M Consolidated and Huntsville still have to be the favorites for the top two spots.  But Katy Paetow and Lamar Consolidated are both 4-0 too I believe.

Won't be any gimmies in the first this year.... for sure.  Then you get to the 2nd round and get to look at the Golden Triangle area with PNG, Baytown Lee, and can't overlook Nederland even though they are (1-3).

Third round you have possibly Manvel, again...AMC (depends on their finish in district) or Huntsville.

No easy roads.

Another thing to think about......

Snapshot day is coming.  And we will know the cutoffs.

I don't see anyone from 4A Div I moving UP.  But how about some moving down to 4A Div I?  Lindale? Jax?  Sulphur Springs?

Also don't see anyone in 5A Div I moving up to 6A.  but how about some 6A moving down?  Lee?  Longview?

3 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

I don't see anyone from 4A Div I moving UP.  But how about some moving down to 4A Div I?  Lindale? Jax?  Sulphur Springs?

Also don't see anyone in 5A Div I moving up to 6A.  but how about some 6A moving down?  Lee?  Longview?

Don’t see many changes. Lufkin should stay 5A unless the number goes down for some crazy reason. The only team i see on the bubble is maybe LV, but Most seem to think they’ll be 6A again...🤷🏽‍♂️

As for the playoffs...I just hope we play well against Magnolia. No expectations of a run from me. Just hope for the best like everyone else i guess. I know that’s sad to say as a Pack fan while being down in 5A after the last few teams that we’ve had, but it’s true. Not confident in this group. However....i do believe if they make improvements in certain areas and can stay healthy, then they will or should at least be a tough out for anyone in the playoffs. Very talented group and full of seniors. 

31 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

Y’all are the only team to give Longview a close game. 

I’d be ecstatic . 

It means nothing if we lose early again.

The lobo game is a difficult game to judge for us. I honestly rather play them in week 3. You would know more about both teams. 

1 hour ago, Mavchamp said:

I think there is a good chance that Mesquite Poteet will move down to 5a-D2.  They were 50 kids under the cutoff these last two years.  They are the smallest in the state in 5a-D1.

2 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Lee, Longview, Lufkin, JT and Texas High, Kilgore, Gladewater, Tatum and Atlanta were all in the 30 range of the cut off number for their divisions. 

North Lamar was only about 20 over. They could drop to 4AD2. Van was just a few more than them.

Lindale was 4 over and is the smallest 5A school in the past realignment. 

And Carthage was only 4 over the 4AD2 number. 

I don't think SS or Jacksonville will drop, unless they have had a major drop recently. Pine Tree turned in a few less than Jacksonville last time. 

10 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Here are the Volleyball standings for anyone interested:

16-5A
Whitehouse 6-0
Hallsville 5-1
John Tyler 4-2
Marshall 3-3
Lufkin 3-3
Pine Tree 2-4
Jacksonville 1-5
Nacogdoches 0-6

Whitehouse is the most talented team in the district by far!!! Going to be a good battle for 4th!! I think WH, Hallsville and JT go 1-2-3 based on what I have seen so far. Injuries and grades could of course change it!!

Nacs only chance for a district win comes this Friday vs Jacksonville. 

I'm not really expecting East Texas 5A Div I to change much in 2020.  Lufkin will likely stay put in their south district.  Texas High and JT are probably joined at the hip into a DFW district. 

It will be interesting to see if REL drops.  Haven't heard much about that being a possibility this time around.... but I know in 2018... there was a lot of talk with Lee going 5A.  IMHO they would flourish in that district. 

Longview probably isn't dropping.  So that leaves things pretty intact for 5A Div I for another 2 seasons.

BUTTTTT

5A Div II in East Texas could get interesting if the above post about Poteet dropping holds true.

Poteet dropping to Div II is interesting...because there isn't anywhere for them to go in the present alignment.  The Frisco/Denison/Denton district has 9 schools already.  The Corsi/Ennis/Greenville/RC/SS district has 9 schools.  The DISD/Red Oak district only has 8, so that's a possibility.  But DISD could have another school lined up for that district.    

So what to do with Poteet?

They could move Sulphur Springs over to 9-5A Div II to make room for Poteet in that Royse City/Greenville/Corsicana/Ennis district.

SS could be joining MP, Marshall, Hallsville, PT, Nac, WH, Lindale, Jax.... for a 9 team district in East Texas.  Provided none of the bubble teams (Lindale, SS, Jax) drop to 4A Div I.   There aren't any candidates moving up it seems.

A 9 team 9-5A Div II makes scheduling really easy (or hard depending on your perspective) for non-district play.  Only 2 games to schedule.  Which could make for some hard decisions for some.

I know there's some debates about pros and cons of a 9 team district.  The current state of East Texas 5A makes it seem a little BLAH.  But if things were to improve and we saw a rebirth of SS, Marshall continued to trend up, PT and Nac continue upwards, WH same.... could be a great race.  But improvement is needed across the board.

Fun stuff to think/talk about.

We will know alignment numbers and cutoffs in a few weeks..... that'll definitely spark some conversation. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Champ1000 said:

Those North or I30 teams belong together. Same goes for PT,Marshall, Hallsville . I wish it would work out that way. 

Sounds great in theory. But nearly impossible in practicality. 

I’m sure MP would love to be in the I-30 corridor district with Greenville and SS and Royse City.  But with nine teams... there’s no room.  Who do they kick out and where would they go? 

The 1-20 corridor has 6 schools in 5A Div II on it.  Nac has nowhere to go but with those schools.   That makes 7.  MP is the closest of the I-30 schools  to the I-20 schools... so here they come. Now we have 8. Moving SS down here makes sense.  Although Nac to SS is 140 miles. 

Texas High dropping to D2 would be a huuuge help.  But not likely to happen unless THS has a sizable drop in enrollment.   But it would likely form an 1-30 5A Div II bracket of THS, MP, SS, Greenville, then it gets tricky if they go north or south to fill out that district.

Always some surprises from UIL  

4 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Sounds great in theory. But nearly impossible in practicality. 

I’m sure MP would love to be in the I-30 corridor district with Greenville and SS and Royse City.  But with nine teams... there’s no room.  Who do they kick out and where would they go? 

The 1-20 corridor has 6 schools in 5A Div II on it.  Nac has nowhere to go but with those schools.   That makes 7.  MP is the closest of the I-30 schools  to the I-20 schools... so here they come. Now we have 8. Moving SS down here makes sense.  Although Nac to SS is 140 miles. 

Texas High dropping to D2 would be a huuuge help.  But not likely to happen unless THS has a sizable drop in enrollment.   But it would likely form an 1-30 5A Div II bracket of THS, MP, SS, Greenville, then it gets tricky if they go north or south to fill out that district.

Always some surprises from UIL  

Agree Texas High would help . Two separate Districts was the beat overall but unfortunately the enrollments do not cooperate. Ss, Texas, RC, MP

Then go South with Whitehouse, Marshall, jax, Nac, Lindale, PT, Hallsville. 

Of course the Uil doesn't care about geography. I mean Van and Palestine are in a District together in 4A. I also seen Arp and Troup in separate Divisions. I seen odd numbers districts go before. I hope y'all get something that actually benefits. Ennis/ Corsicana was ridiculous and always should be up North. It really hurts you in Sub varsity and other sports. 

Luckily the other sports aren’t affected by the divisions.  Yet.

The I-30 schools are all  grouped together in a single 5A district for everything but football.

Same with the south district. JT and Lufkin are joined with Marshall and the rest of the I-20 corridor in everything but football. 

24 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

Luckily the other sports aren’t affected by the divisions.  Yet.

The I-30 schools are all  grouped together in a single 5A district for everything but football.

Same with the south district. JT and Lufkin are joined with Marshall and the rest of the I-20 corridor in everything but football. 

Lee dropping would help Tyler. All schools in east Texas be back together again, because of all the people that are moving to the big city for better jobs.

• Mr. P changed the title to 2019-20 East Texas 5A Sports Thread