tigerdad

Also has sample districts.

Link:

http://www.uil.utexas.edu/ATHLETICS/footba...lign_study.html

---------------------------------------------------

SPLIT CONFERENCE FOOTBALL ALIGNMENT STUDY - DRAFT

This is a draft of a plan that could split football conferences into two

divisions. This is not a proposal by UIL staff, nor has it been

approved by the UIL Legislative Council.

The study of a split conference alignment plan for football is complete. This plan

divides each conference into two divisions in football. The largest half of each

conference is grouped into a division and the smaller half of the conference is divided

into a separate division. The large school division has 16 districts and the smallest

half of each conference has 16 districts. Approximately six to eight schools are

placed into each district. The same number of schools from each district advance to

the playoffs. Twelve champions would be crowned as is done currently.

Possible Advantages:

• Provides more clarity and less confusion regarding who is Division I and who is

Division II.

• Clearly defines divisions prior to the season rather than at the end of district play.

• Creates more equity in relation to the largest and smallest school within a

division.

• Eliminates two schools with the largest enrollments in the state advancing to the

playoffs in the smaller enrollment division.

• Eliminates the smallest schools in a conference grouped with the largest schools

in a conference.

Possible Disadvantges:

• Additional travel.

• Other team sport activities could want the same division alignment.

• Creates an additional group of schools that will be the smallest within a division.

• Creates administrative inconvenience.

• Scheduling issues could occur in multi-school districts that share stadiums.

The UIL staff presented the concept to the Legislative Council in June and October.

The Council authorized this study to provide information regarding the actual

placement of schools into districts. This draft is for study purposes only and

applies only to football.

I like it. At least it's On the right track. It's better than the current system.

Suggestions:

Have 32 small districts. Would cut travel time and you can play more, local, non-district rivalry games.

Have 8 Classifications instead of 10. Every district could probably have 6 teams.

It could work in other sports too. Have an 8 team bi-district tournament at a local neutral sight, then the winner goes to the regional tournament. $$$$ maker. And UIL loves those.

I know this has to do with money but it is dumb. The 2 state champions in each class is dumb also. If they want to make it where each classification has a smaller gap then make more classifications not split them. The travel would be the same as this proposal. Or what was wrong with taking 3 teams with one class LIKE EVERY OTHER SPORT. Today's society is too much about letting people fill like winners instead of making them learn how to deal with a little failure.

The real problem would be the additional travel.

If I'm a a little 2A school with a strapped budget already, and suddenly the districts are re-aligned in this way, the additional travel is going to be a mess. This wouldn't be as big a mess in football, but what about a Tuesday night basketball game when LE travels to Carthage? (I can't imagine the travel distances in West Texas).

I'd rather see a 6A than this.

Some of you need to quite living the idea that a school is a money making business. I would rather have a kid on a 3 hour bus ride than turn him loose at 3pm to run around town in his or her car doin lord knows what until 5. the schools will find the money-- when have they not?