East Texas "Top 10's"

Smoaky

Class 5-A:

1. The Woodlands (9-0)(Beat Lufkin 31-21)

2. DeSoto (8-1)(Beat Mesquite Horn 50-37)

3. John Tyler (8-1)(Lost to Tyler Lee 28-17)

4. Lufkin (7-2)(Lost to The Woodlands)

5. Tyler Lee (3-5)(Beat John Tyler 28-17)

6. Conroe (4-4)(Beat New Caney 29-10)

7. Conroe Oak Ridge (5-4)(Beat College Park 24-0)

8. College Park (5-4)(Lost to Conroe Oak Ridge 24-0)

9. Mesquite (1-8)(Beat North Mesquite 31-6)

10. North Mesquite (3-5)(Lost to Mesquite 31-6)

Class 4-A:

1. Longview (9-1)(Beat Pine Tree 56-7)

2. Marshall (6-3)(Beat Sulphur Springs 48-13)

3. Texas High (5-3)(Beat Hallsville 12-10)

4. Jacksonville (7-2)(Beat Kilgore 28-10)

5. Lindale (5-4)(Beat Henderson 42-28)

6. Sulphur Springs (6-3)(Lost to Marshall 48-13)

7. Terrell (7-2)(Beat Forney 21-15)

8. Henderson (5-4)(Lost to Lindale 42-28)

9. Kilgore (4-5)(Lost to Jacksonville 28-10)

10. Hallsville (3-6)(Lost to Texas High 12-10)

Class 3-A:

1. Gilmer (9-0)(Beat Gladewater 67-12)

2. Carthage (9-0)(Beat Diboll 54-25)

3. Pittsburg (8-1)(Beat Mount Vernon 45-17)

4. Jasper (7-2)(Beat Rusk 45-21)

5. Mexia (7-2)(Beat Waco Connally 50-21)

6. Wills Point (8-1)(Beat Eustace 54-21)

7. Liberty-Eylau (5-4)(Beat Atlanta 21-0)

8. Pleasant Grove (7-2)(Beat New Boston 55-24)

9. Tatum (6-3)(Beat Spring Hill 56-23)

10. Center (7-2)(Beat Huntington 54-0)

Class 2-A:

1. Arp (9-0)(Beat Elkhart 47-0)

2. Daingerfield (8-1)(Beat Ore City 58-0)

3. Newton (9-0)(Beat Shelbyville 59-6)

4. Kirbyville (7-2)(Beat San Augustine 46-0)

5. New Waverly (7-2)(Beat Groveton 37-16)

6. Corrigan-Camden (7-2)(Beat Centerville 40-7)

7. Prairiland (9-0)(Beat Hooks 32-13)

8. Paul Pewitt (7-2)(Bear Clarksville 55-21)

9. Garrison (7-2)(Beat Frankston 38-19)

10. Harmony (7-2)(Beat Winona 40-20)

Class 1-A:

1. Lovelady (9-0)(Beat Iola 46-0)

2. Tenaha (9-0)(Beat Mount Enterprise 39-0)

3. Cayuga (7-1)(Beat Alto 43-36/OT)

4. Alto (8-2)(Lost to Cayuga 43-36/OT)

5. Quinlan Boles (8-0)(Beat Fruitvale 75-0)

6. Joaquin (7-2)(Beat Waskom 58-12)

7. Evadale (9-0)(Beat Chester 1-0/Forfeit)

8. Maud (6-3)(Beat Detroit 40-14)

9. Mount Enterprise (7-2)(Lost to Tenaha 39-0)

10. Hawkins (5-4)(Beat Big Sandy 33-6)

Brownsboro wins and then drops completely out of the poll?

Well, yes they do because Brownsboro lost to Palestine who lost to Athens.

Meanwhile, it would be tough for me to drop Palestine below Brownsboro just a week after Palestine dominated the Bears.

It would also be tough for Athens to be in the top ten with their overall record with Center being 7-2 with their only losses to unbeaten Carthage and 4-A Nacogdoches.

In this scenario, Palestine had to fall out after losing to Athens, which drops Brownsboro who survived Crockett and I considered Athens, but Center's resume is better.

Agree?

Like I've told everyone---I don't just throw out programs and see what sticks, there's a method with my madness.

David Smoak

3. Texas High (5-3)(Beat Hallsville 12-10)

4. Jacksonville (7-2)(Beat Kilgore 28-10)

5. Lindale (5-4)(Beat Henderson 42-28)

Just curious if those three spots in 4a were hard to rank?

TH is gonna be 3rd in 13-4a and Jax and Lindale will battle this week for the top spot in 14-4a...hope I got that right...

Just curious if those three spots in 4a were hard to rank?

TH is gonna be 3rd in 13-4a and Jax and Lindale will battle this week for the top spot in 14-4a...hope I got that right...

Not really, because there's no doubt the strength at the top in 13-4A is much stronger than 14-4A----but the playoffs will eventually tell us that story.

Jacksonville probably plays a style closer to 13-4A than anyone in 14-4A, and beat both Marshall and Hallsville, although the win against Marshall was back in late-August.

I think both Jacksonville and Marshall are better than when they first met, and perhaps Marshall has improved the most from their tough start.

Lindale is playing at a pretty good level, but their non-district schedule had four 3-A teams and (1-8) Pine Tree.

I hope that answers some of your question.

David Smoak

Well, yes they do because Brownsboro lost to Palestine who lost to Athens.

Meanwhile, it would be tough for me to drop Palestine below Brownsboro just a week after Palestine dominated the Bears.

It would also be tough for Athens to be in the top ten with their overall record with Center being 7-2 with their only losses to unbeaten Carthage and 4-A Nacogdoches.

In this scenario, Palestine had to fall out after losing to Athens, which drops Brownsboro who survived Crockett and I considered Athens, but Center's resume is better.

Agree?

Like I've told everyone---I don't just throw out programs and see what sticks, there's a method with my madness.

David Smoak

Using the logic that you did, Wills Point should not be ranked either since Brownsboro dominated them. I realize that you have a method to your madness, and I don't totally disagree with the process but I think that the season record, the previous rankings, and the only loss being to a very talented team should have kept them in there.

Not really, because there's no doubt the strength at the top in 13-4A is much stronger than 14-4A----but the playoffs will eventually tell us that story.

Jacksonville probably plays a style closer to 13-4A than anyone in 14-4A, and beat both Marshall and Hallsville, although the win against Marshall was back in late-August.

I think both Jacksonville and Marshall are better than when they first met, and perhaps Marshall has improved the most from their tough start.

Lindale is playing at a pretty good level, but their non-district schedule had four 3-A teams and (1-8) Pine Tree.

I hope that answers some of your question.

David Smoak

I understand. Thank you sir.

I think Marshall still looked to be about 10-14 points better than Jax in the game they lost. Since Marshall switched to the spread, it has been taking a few games to get the timing down. I think Marshall underestimated Jax in that game a bunch. Jax played fired up the whole game, While Marshall seemed lazy much of the night. It was just sloppy ball all around, with stupid penalties and turnovers inside the redzone. Nobody knew how good Jax would turn out to be at that point in the season. Our players and coaches were not prepared. Especially not expecting to have to defend the pass that much at the time. There was no game film to go by that showed how much Jax would pass. It was a game plan designed to stop Hatton. It still funny to me how low Jax and Marshall were ranked after this game. Everybody thought we were both down, and had all their money on Texas High, SS, and even Whitehouse at the time.

It still funny to me how low Jax and Marshall were ranked after this game. Everybody thought we were both down, and had all their money on Texas High, SS, and even Whitehouse at the time.

How could you rate them as anything else at that point? First few weeks have to be based on previous year & returning players. As far as everybody having their "money" on Texas High.....I've been saying all year this team was down. I still say it's the weakest we've been since 2000. Personally I'd put J'Ville above us. But it looks like that will resolve itself in 2 weeks.

How could you rate them as anything else at that point? First few weeks have to be based on previous year & returning players. As far as everybody having their "money" on Texas High.....I've been saying all year this team was down. I still say it's the weakest we've been since 2000. Personally I'd put J'Ville above us. But it looks like that will resolve itself in 2 weeks.

I did agree with the standings at the time, other than Marshall being knocked down to 7th. Just because I actually saw the game and knew we were much better, even though I understood others had not. I simply said we will have to work our way back up and earn it now. It was more to do with me knowing Jax and Marshall were much better, but yet we were constantly overlooked. So many people on here said Marshall is way down this year because of the loss to Jax, which also meant that Jax was no good this year either.

Using the logic that you did, Wills Point should not be ranked either since Brownsboro dominated them. I realize that you have a method to your madness, and I don't totally disagree with the process but I think that the season record, the previous rankings, and the only loss being to a very talented team should have kept them in there.

Everybody that has a poll feels they can justify the results and the majority think they are absolutely wrong. Thank goodness this is not the BCS and it really does not matter.

I love your opinion, but no---my logic when mentioning Marshall-Jacksonville has no bearing on Brownsboro-Wills Point.

That game occurred back in September.

I personally watched Brownsboro lose at home to Palestine.

Palestine dominated that game...period, no questions, they did.

With that being said, with Athens beating Palestine by 15, that hurts all involved (Brownsboro, Palestine, and Athens).

That has zero affect on Wills Point who is taking care of their business, although in what appears to be a slightly less-competitive district.

David Smoak

Massey's computer ratings are up for this week.

http://www.highschoolsports.net/defaultcal...&division=1

Pretty good agreement for 5A. No big surprise the computer likes Horn more than some of the other teams.

The Woodlands (5)

DeSoto (12)

John Tyler (13)

Lufkin (21)

Robert E. Lee (28)

Conroe (125)

Conroe Oak Ridge (135)

College Park (150)

Mesquite (156)

North Mesquite (129)

Mesquite Horn (59)

New Caney (605)

Lee has the toughest schedule in the state by a wide margin - with the Kimball game washed out, all of Lee's nondistrict opponents are top 25 at the moment.

One question for 2a is wo being considered for a spot in the top ten? I think they would be a good choice

I seriously considered White Oak at #10 this week, but---since Harmony was also under consideration and they beat White Oak head-up, I had to go with Harmony.

Had Harleton beaten White Oak, they would've been #10.

David Smoak