Gilmer vs Atlanta

youngbuck

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

gilmer gladewater beat u on the field,just had a bad break but its all good Atlanta will take you down,

go district 6

Beat you on the field? I'm sorry, if they beat Gilmer on the field, they would be playing Friday instead of watching from the stands. Gladewater played a great game, but didn't win anything. Moral victories and saying coulda or shoulda doesn't win games, especially playoff games. I've seen Atlanta twice and they might hang for a little while, but then again, wouldn't surprise me to see Gilmer blow them out in the first half either.

Only one team since 2003 has beaten Gilmer WITHOUT a "Ball Control Offense"... that was Canton in 2005, (who won the turnover battle and won in a last-second shoot-out). Everyone else who has handled the Buckeyes has done it by keeping the ball away from them, keeping the clock running and have still had some other things go right (< +2 turnovers, etc.)

Once you get to this level in the playoffs, the formulas get pretty simple. Gladewater is the kind of team that matches up well with Gilmer. There are also a few teams in D1 4A Teams I think would give Gilmer trouble...and they are "Ball Control" teams as well. But when you look at the rest of the bracket in 4A D2, the teams left will have a VERY difficult time containing the Buckeye offense precisely because they are not necessarily designed for "Ground & Pound".

Of course, (as Gladewater proved last Friday night)teams still have to go out and play well, execute, take care of the football, etc. etc. to win it all. And Gilmer is no exception. Nobody "Gives" you a SC Ring! But when you looked at the potential tournament match-ups when the playoffs started, trust me when I say the BUX are now very happy that the orange and black storm (wearing #34) that could have grounded their high flying offense is now in their rear-view mirror, and the skies ahead look promising!

So Navasota was a "Ball control offense"? Far from it my man.

Wow. I can't believe how bad Atlanta is being underestimated. did you guys not see what Atlanta just did to Tatum?? Make all the excuses you want, they embarrassed Tatum yesterday. Gilmer better come ready to play or they will get beat. I don't think Gilmer will be able to consistently contain Musgrove. Cover his receivers up and he will do wonders with his feet.

Gladewater beat themselves at the end of the game against Gilmer. This should be a district rematch with gladewater but now the Rabbits get to knock off the famous Buckeyes.

Atlanta by a TD in a shootout.

Wow. I can't believe how bad Atlanta is being underestimated. did you guys not see what Atlanta just did to Tatum?? Make all the excuses you want, they embarrassed Tatum yesterday. Gilmer better come ready to play or they will get beat. I don't think Gilmer will be able to consistently contain Musgrove. Cover his receivers up and he will do wonders with his feet.

Gladewater beat themselves at the end of the game against Gilmer. This should be a district rematch with gladewater but now the Rabbits get to knock off the famous Buckeyes.

No Gladewater didn't beat themselves at the end of the game!They played a near perfect game and gilmer d made a stop at the end of the game to win.So don't say Gladewater beat themselves.You have to give gilmer some credit for not giving up!!

When the smoke clears and all the high school football analyst go back to talking with our wives instead of mouth wrestling on smoaky, lets have some good ole over 40 flag football games and relive our younger days. I promise after ten minutes we will remember how tough it is to play this game we love so much and talk about. Its cool to get on here wish teams the best but over the years I've seen this site turn into something on the Lifetime Network. Drama. No need to talk down or about coaches and players. These kids risk their lives every week trying to impress their parents, friends, coaches, and scouts and then a few knuckle heads get on here making them feel as if they dont have a snowballs chance in hell of winning or even being on the field some teams. Its ok to support your team but not at the expense of making another team or kid feel bad especially when they just got put out of the playoffs. Gladewater and every other team we have played this year left no doubt in Atlanta's mind that they came to beat us. We respect every team we face and work hard to get that win. If you dont play better than the other team you lose. If your score is less than theirs at the end of the 4th quarter you lose. If you put these kids and coaches down after they have given their all to the school and community you're a loser. After all that being said can someone loan me 2 dollars so I can get 2 chicken biscuits from McDonald's. .. lmbooooooo. .... Prayers for all the Coaches and Athletes. Go Rabbs.......

I was thinking about going but I don't want to take a seat away from a fan if it is a sell out

C'mon and go man,, we'll make room for ya on the Gilmer side. I can see a big crowd friday night, but promise you it won't be as big as it was against GW the other night. Don't worry about getting a seat.

When the smoke clears and all the high school football analyst go back to talking with our wives instead of mouth wrestling on smoaky, lets have some good ole over 40 flag football games and relive our younger days. I promise after ten minutes we will remember how tough it is to play this game we love so much and talk about. Its cool to get on here wish teams the best but over the years I've seen this site turn into something on the Lifetime Network. Drama. No need to talk down or about coaches and players. These kids risk their lives every week trying to impress their parents, friends, coaches, and scouts and then a few knuckle heads get on here making them feel as if they dont have a snowballs chance in hell of winning or even being on the field some teams. Its ok to support your team but not at the expense of making another team or kid feel bad especially when they just got put out of the playoffs. Gladewater and every other team we have played this year left no doubt in Atlanta's mind that they came to beat us. We respect every team we face and work hard to get that win. If you dont play better than the other team you lose. If your score is less than theirs at the end of the 4th quarter you lose. If you put these kids and coaches down after they have given their all to the school and community you're a loser. After all that being said can someone loan me 2 dollars so I can get 2 chicken biscuits from McDonald's. .. lmbooooooo. .... Prayers for all the Coaches and Athletes. Go Rabbs.......

Great post,, no doubt all these kids deserve our respect and encouragement.

So Navasota was a "Ball control offense"? Far from it my man.

Navasota was absolutely "Ball Control" and still are. Go back and with the film. Just because a team does not line up in a Power I or run a FB Dive every play does not make them any less "Ball Control". Navasota ran off tackle with superb athletes that we couldn't catch or tackle. They whipped us up front and ran away and hid on the scoreboard. That had nothing to do with offensive style... we just did not contain them for 3 out of 4 qtrs. But if memory serves, that was a 3-0 ball game at the end of the first qtr, and they limited us to two possessions. that is the definition of "Ball Control".

Heck, the "West Coast Offense" is a passing offense, but it is also very much a ball control offense. An offense designed to manage 3-5 yard pick-ups on first downs, "Stay Ahead of the Chains", and force your defensive opponents to play lots of snaps while your defense rests is "Ball Control". By contrast, Gilmer's objective on offense is to play as many snaps as possible, as fast as possible and force you to defend athletes in space and force you to play to their strengths (Speed, Execution, Depth, Deeper, Better Athletes, Well-Conditioned, Etc) which means they often put opponents in a place where in short order they must play from behind on the scoreboard. When you play from behind, you tend to throw more than you normally would, which leads to more clock stops, which leads to Gilmer getting more offensive snaps, which leads to being more behind. This is why you see the PPG average from Gilmer that you do. At the NFL Level, take Chip Kelly's Philadelphia Eagles...they share the same philosophy as Gilmer. In contrast, the Patriots subscribe to "Ball Control". That does not mean Tom Brady does not throw the football, or that Shady McCoy does not run the football. But they do have differing offensive philosophies.

So my point stands, playing "Keep Away" (Ball Control) from the Buckeye Offense and keeping the clock moving has historically been the formula for success to beat them, limiting their offensive snaps and forcing them into mistakes (turnovers) and out of any offensive rhythm. And IMO Gladewater was better equipped to do that than anyone else left in the tournament.

Every team has a chance on any day. There could be the next Ray Lewis, Tom Brady, Deon Sanders, or whomever come out of East Texas, but there could also be one kid at home reading what we put on here and second guess his abilities. Just saying lets do this with class and not with bad intentions. I have grown over the years and have made some crazy comments before myself so im talking to myself as well. The best team might not be the one hoisting the State Championship trophy, it could be the luckiest team. Any thing is possible.

Well everyone is comparing scores and trying to justify their opinion about how this game will end. Just for kicks I took Atlanta,Gilmer,Gladewater,and Tatum and looked at head to head between the three. In the regular season Atlanta beat Tatum by 6 and Gilmer beat Tatum by 6. Of course Gladewater beat Atlanta by 22. Throw out Atlantas win over Tatum and the points are Gilmer +6 and Atlanta -22. Now Gilmer beat Gladewater by 6 in the playoffs so that gave them +12. Well Atlanta beat Tatum in the playoffs by 34 so you subtract the 22 for the loss and the end result is +12. Just like Gilmer. So it looks like this game is a toss up. Would have Gilmer beat Tatum as bad as Atlanta did? Who knows just like we would not know if Atlanta would have beaten Gladewater if given a rematch. Just an observation. Good luck to both teams. Whoever wins IMHO gets the ring.

Navasota was absolutely "Ball Control" and still are. Go back and with the film. Just because a team does not line up in a Power I or run a FB Dive every play does not make them any less "Ball Control". Navasota ran off tackle with superb athletes that we couldn't catch or tackle. They whipped us up front and ran away and hid on the scoreboard. That had nothing to do with offensive style... we just did not contain them for 3 out of 4 qtrs. But if memory serves, that was a 3-0 ball game at the end of the first qtr, and they limited us to two possessions. that is the definition of "Ball Control".

Heck, the "West Coast Offense" is a passing offense, but it is also very much a ball control offense. An offense designed to manage 3-5 yard pick-ups on first downs, "Stay Ahead of the Chains", and force your defensive opponents to play lots of snaps while your defense rests is "Ball Control". By contrast, Gilmer's objective on offense is to play as many snaps as possible, as fast as possible and force you to defend athletes in space and force you to play to their strengths (Speed, Execution, Depth, Deeper, Better Athletes, Well-Conditioned, Etc) which means they often put opponents in a place where in short order they must play from behind on the scoreboard. When you play from behind, you tend to throw more than you normally would, which leads to more clock stops, which leads to Gilmer getting more offensive snaps, which leads to being more behind. This is why you see the PPG average from Gilmer that you do. At the NFL Level, take Chip Kelly's Philadelphia Eagles...they share the same philosophy as Gilmer. In contrast, the Patriots subscribe to "Ball Control". That does not mean Tom Brady does not throw the football, or that Shady McCoy does not run the football. But they do have differing offensive philosophies.

So my point stands, playing "Keep Away" (Ball Control) from the Buckeye Offense and keeping the clock moving has historically been the formula for success to beat them, limiting their offensive snaps and forcing them into mistakes (turnovers) and out of any offensive rhythm. And IMO Gladewater was better equipped to do that than anyone else left in the tournament.

I agree to disagree. I don't think Navasota is afraid of any offensive team in 4A . They are too good on defense. Like the other poster said I think they were so good in 2012 they could do whatever they wanted. Probably the same way this year.

No Gladewater didn't beat themselves at the end of the game!They played a near perfect game and gilmer d made a stop at the end of the game to win.So don't say Gladewater beat themselves.You have to give gilmer some credit for not giving up!!

I don't agree with much of anything you say but I do agree with this. We were beaten by a team of equal talent. We came up inches short of continuing on and I do give credit to Gilmer for that stop. No one deserved to lose that game but it is the way that it is. Painfully so. We will be back to do it again next year.

I agree to disagree. I don't think Navasota is afraid of any offensive team in 4A . They are too good on defense. Like the other poster said I think they were so good in 2012 they could do whatever they wanted. Probably the same way this year.

Their defense in2012 was better than this years..

I don't agree with much of anything you say but I do agree with this. We were beaten by a team of equal talent. We came up inches short of continuing on and I do give credit to Gilmer for that stop. No one deserved to lose that game but it is the way that it is. Painfully so. We will be back to do it again next year.

I know i was happy that gilmer won but yet i was kind of sad to. I felt bad for gladewater as good of a game they played.Neither team should have lost but we know thats not possible.Thank you gladewater bears for an awesome game!Yall will be back again strong for years to come.Yall really made a believer out of me!

I know i was happy that gilmer won but yet i was kind of sad to. I felt bad for gladewater as good of a game they played.Neither team should have lost but we know thats not possible.Thank you gladewater bears for an awesome game!Yall will be back again strong for years to come.Yall really made a believer out of me!

Thanks young buck, hope we meet up next year