15-5A Spring Games

tomlandry

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL

They put off spring ball because of the baseball playoffs. So we had a late start. Graduation is June 5th I think.

We had some important players that were still on the diamond and a new OC that needed to get on the same page as them.

Sounds like we've had some fantastic workouts. I haven't made any of them, but I've been updated.

Coach Harper may be working on a HUGE hire on the defensive side. A guy that has coached at the NJCAA and NCAA.....

If MISD lands him, could be one of the bigger hires we've seen in a while. Wait and see. Harper has put together a heck of a staff in a hurry.

I sure wish UIL would allow inter-school spring scrimmages like most other states.

It's a huge deal in Florida. Rivals that don't play in fall will meet in the spring. They play 2 quarters of real football.

But as per protocol, UIL lags behind when it comes to innovation in sports.

Pine Tree could surprise some teams this year and could be down right good by 2016. Could make for some renewed heated rivalries in the near future. Who will we joke about if pt gets good in football? Which team could be the next pine tree?

Pine Tree could surprise some teams this year and could be down right good by 2016. Could make for some renewed heated rivalries in the near future. Who will we joke about if pt gets good in football? Which team could be the next pine tree?

lol

We have about three PT level teams in our district right now......

After watching the Pine Tree Spring Game, I can tell you that this team won't surprise anyone. They aren't very good and look smaller and slower as compared to last year. They lost several key players on the offensive(Quay Ward and Mason Hays) and defensive side(Takanya Redding), and it shows. I predict a similar year as last year and think they will lose to everyone including Mount Pleasant and Greenville. Their quarterback (Daniel Bonamy) is promising and above average, but they lack the protection and tools necessary to maximize his effectiveness. Defensively they missed several tackles and despite passing the 'eye test', the struggles which plagued Pine Tree in the past are still around, just in a different stadium and new uniforms. I'm disappointed because I thought Coach Collins would bring an edge and increased numbers to the program. During the Varsity Game if you looked at the sidelines you would think Pine Tree had lots of kids playing on the varsity. Upon closer review, however, you would notice these were Junior Varsity kids. I almost think numbers decreased! I predicted that Pine Tree could beat Mount Pleasant and Greenville and possibly even compete with a depleted Sulpher Springs team. After I watched the scrimmage, I do not think these outcomes are likely.

Louisiana has spring jamborees as well don't they?

Meh, it's just scrimmaging at the end of the day.

Their jamoreees are generally in the fall before the season starts.....I think.

But I know Florida has spring jamborees.

I'm just not a fan of scrimmaging yourself. Shows little to nothing.

I know in the last few years Vs. Tyler Lee..... our scrimmages have been pretty accurate in what we were going to be doing offensively and defensively all season. At least the bones of it.

I highly doubt we will see that in the Red/White game. JMHO.

Greenville was considerably better than PT and MP last year IMHO..... but they just didn't have the horses for 4 quarters.

MP was just depleted with injuries. It will be interesting to see how they do healthy. They SHOULD be this season, but like Greenville, I think they have a numbers problem.

PT..... I have no logic as to why they have been where they are for the length of time they have been. All I can guess.... is that winning breeds winning.... and losing breeds losing.

I know that's why 2011, 12, 13 were so horrible for Mav fans. I think a lot pf people feared we were becoming another PT. I don't think that's the case now....but we still have a TON of work to do to get where we wanna be.

But PT..... no explanation. They have athletes. They've had good coaches. But it's ever come together for them. It may just be a mind set. And that may be the toughest thing to overcome

Greenville was considerably better than PT and MP last year IMHO..... but they just didn't have the horses for 4 quarters.

MP was just depleted with injuries. It will be interesting to see how they do healthy. They SHOULD be this season, but like Greenville, I think they have a numbers problem.

PT..... I have no logic as to why they have been where they are for the length of time they have been. All I can guess.... is that winning breeds winning.... and losing breeds losing.

I know that's why 2011, 12, 13 were so horrible for Mav fans. I think a lot pf people feared we were becoming another PT. I don't think that's the case now....but we still have a TON of work to do to get where we wanna be.

But PT..... no explanation. They have athletes. They've had good coaches. But it's ever come together for them. It may just be a mind set. And that may be the toughest thing to overcome

I've just accepted Pine Tree's fate as a football-weak school. I thought Collins would change that, but I think the challenge is unrealistic. I agree with you on Greenville. They played much better than both Pine Tree and Mount Pleasant last year. I'm not sure how they will fare after graduating many of the seniors on last year's team. I think Mount Pleasant's issues were less about injuries and more of a combination of a new coaching staff, lack of talent, and lack of numbers. These problems are all too familiar for Pine Tree as well. I'm interested to see how Greenville, Mount Pleasant, and Pine Tree perform in the upcoming season. I look for Mount Pleasant to be the surprise of the group this year. They return almost all of their players from last year and have the stink of 0-10 still in the air. That definitely provides extra incentives to get better. After watching the Pine Tree game I don't think they can compete with Greenville and Mount Pleasant's athleticism. We all know who the major players in this district are, but this is an interesting story line going into the season.

My Updated District Rankings:

1. Longview

2. Marshall

3. Texas High

4. Hallsville

5. Sulpher Springs/Mount Pleasant

6. Mount Pleasant/Sulpher Springs

7. Greenville

8. Pine Tree

With marshall having their spring game june 2 it opens the doors for other teams fans and coaches to come scout. As most will already be into their summer. Not that it doesnt happen anyways. Ive attended longviews a couple times and hallsvilles once. Not like we will be showing very much i assume.

I can't justify putting us ahead of Texas High until we beat them. Something we haven't done since.... 2009.

(0-3) since then.... and basically non competitive with them in those 3 games.

The marshall vs texas high game last year still puzzles me. That was either the worst game we played all year or thighs best. My guess would be some of both. The common opponent scores last year pointed to thigh being 5-10 points better than us, yet we got our butts whooped at home. We didnt lose at home all year other than thigh. It was very similar to the longview game in how we played like we were already beat from the start and just wanted to get game over with from the get go. I saw a totally different team against sulphur springs and nac. They played with confidence and fought hard the entire game. Hope

they got the last bit of that funk out of them last year. They have the potential to do great things this season if they dont allow the mental challenges to hold them back against the top tier teams

The GVL:

http://www.heraldbanner.com/sports/greenville-lions-show-big-play-potential-in-scrimmage/article_e3e781ac-0119-11e5-a797-cf4542d2b8cd.html

We may have an outside shot at competing for the last playoff spot in 2015. We can beat Pine Tree and Mount Pleasant, and we put a scare into Hallsville last season. You never know...

I can definitely see Greenville beating Pine Tree. Not sure about Mount Pleasant or much less Hallsville.