Week 3 California @ Texas

JustAFan11

Strong Press Conference coming up!

Heard listed as started on depth chart!

@AnwarRichardson: #Longhorns #HookEm coach Charlie Strong said they have a 3-man rush. Need to bring another rusher. Not sure Desmond Jackson is 100%

@JeffHowe247: Charlie Strong on Derick Roberson (DNP vs. Rice): Youll get a chance to see him play this week. #HookEm

@JeffHowe247: Strong on Malik Jefferson: Hes so mature for his age and hes playing very well for us right now. #HookEm #Longhorns

@justinwells2424: "The thing for Jerrod is to not get overwhelmed." - Strong #HookEm

@JeffHowe247: Strong said the root of the defenses issues are not winning on first down. Also not winning 1-on-1s. #HookEm #Longhorns

@SBN_Wescott: Strong not willing to blame DTs for lack of pass rush. Says outside rushers have to win battles. Who can step up, make plays there?

@SBN_Wescott: Charlie Strong said that #Texas hasn't heard anything about the results from Devonaire Clarington's ACT test. #hookem

I think this is the first game our DE and blitzes will really show up because while the Cal QB is a good passer he isn't the run threat that the first 2 QBs we faced were.

If we can win on 1st down and move him from the pocket with pressure we'll be better off. This may be the perfect team for Bedfords 3-3-5 defense!

The 3-3-5 defense might be fundamentally sound but it's not ideal for Texas right now. The secondary is too inexperienced (at least the players with the most ability are) to sustain coverage without pressuring the QB. Having 5 or less provide pressure doesn't work well if at least one of them can't demand a double team. The one on one up front is allowing too much time for the QB to pick us apart. We are counting on "coverage sacks" and our secondary isn't at a point where they can do it. If you give a passer time they will find somebody. Bedford has to bring at least one more than the offense can account for and limit the amount of time our secondary is in coverage

The 3-3-5 defense might be fundamentally sound but it's not ideal for Texas right now. The secondary is too inexperienced (at least the players with the most ability are) to sustain coverage without pressuring the QB. Having 5 or less provide pressure doesn't work well if at least one of them can't demand a double team. The one on one up front is allowing too much time for the QB to pick us apart. We are counting on "coverage sacks" and our secondary isn't at a point where they can do it. If you give a passer time they will find somebody. Bedford has to bring at least one more than the offense can account for and limit the amount of time our secondary is in coverage

This.

Texas (as I told you guys several times lol) is weak on the DLine. You can't run a 3 man front and blitz with a young secondary. Players get confused and it ends up being blown coverages and young players one on one with guys and the Texas players are showing they struggle with tackling in open field. IMO Bedford needs the extra man in the trenches and play Malik outside where he can really maximize his talent. I havent been impressed with him at all at Mike. He's a liability in coverage and misses for too many tackles. They need him rushing the passer or in the flats.

This.

Texas (as I told you guys several times lol) is weak on the DLine. You can't run a 3 man front and blitz with a young secondary. Players get confused and it ends up being blown coverages and young players one on one with guys and the Texas players are showing they struggle with tackling in open field. IMO Bedford needs the extra man in the trenches and play Malik outside where he can really maximize his talent. I havent been impressed with him at all at Mike. He's a liability in coverage and misses for too many tackles. They need him rushing the passer or in the flats.

A lot of time when Texas is in the stack, Jefferson is one of the outside stack backers and he winds up blitzing anyways.

Have you watched texas?

He is a playmaker and heard is unproven. Gray has wasted his time at texas.

"Here's an idea. When you tell a story have a point. It makes it so much more interesting for the listener. "

Yes I've watched Texas

Yes Jefferson is a playmaker

Yes Heard is unproven

Ok if you say so gray has wasted his time at Texas

I guess you were agreeing with me?

"Here's an idea. When you tell a story have a point. It makes it so much more interesting for the listener. "

Yes I've watched Texas

Yes Jefferson is a playmaker

Yes Heard is unproven

Ok if you say so gray has wasted his time at Texas

I guess you were agreeing with me?

dont expect a coherent answer...

Goff is not Driphus Jackson or Malik Zaire. If Texas can get the same pressure early on like they did against Rice, Goff is going to take a lot more serious hits than either of the previous QB's Texas has played against. That in turn should help the young DB's. I actually think the ST success last week may have hindered the other two phases of the game. As crazy as it sounds, it shortened the field for the offense which in turn gave the defense little time to rest.

Texas 37 Cal 35

I think yall may be downplaying Goff a little bit. This guy is considered by some as a dark horse Heisman candidate. Guy can sling it and doesn't look like he will need a lot of time to get the ball out.

I realize Goff is a very good QB but he's not a dual threat like Texas faced the last two weeks and I'm not trying to take anything away from his ability, but he's a pocket passer that has functional mobility in the pocket. My point had more to do with the pressure the DLine was able to get in the first qtr of the Rice game. If they are able to repeat that Goff may get his bell rung early.

Cals offense is dictated on the QBs ability to make a read presnap and get the ball out quickly. Sonny Dykes is from that true spread passing coaching tree and has been retry successful at it. You don't beat a spread with pass rush helping the secondary. It has to be the other way around. The truly successful teams against the spread leave nobody open short and force the offense to go vertical and then they don't have the time to if the pash rush keeps up. But with an inexperienced or weak secondary, it doesn't matter if you're rushing Von Miller and JJ Watt, you won't hold up defensively. They will get the ball out so quick they are just neutralized.

If Texas is going to win this game, they will have to force 2-3 turnovers while committing none IMO. They will also have to take away the quick pass routes and make Cal go vertical. This will probably cause them to give up more big plays, but it's their only option IMO. You can't let a team like call complete those 3-6 yard completions on a normal basis.

Can i ask you guys a serious question... Strong has always been strict about no freshman talking to the media. Why did he change things for Malik?

And how much was this effecting his recruitment? Was he told you're the face of the team before even committing?

Can i ask you guys a serious question... Strong has always been strict about no freshman talking to the media. Why did he change things for Malik?

And how much was this effecting his recruitment? Was he told you're the face of the team before even committing?

Was he strict with it at Louisville? Last season there weren't any freshmen that the media wanted to talk to.

This year I've seen interviews with Malik, John Burt, and Connor Williams. I've seen even more freshmen than that do little interviews here and there with LHN. I think more than anything Strong is trying to make these guys grow up as fast as possible.

But Malik is so well spoken he's not a threat to say anything stupid in the media and the coaches and upperclassmen know he is the leader of his class and probably will be the team leader by the end of the year. I don't know if Strong told him he'd be the face as a freshman but he did call him the Tim Tebow of this class several times.

strong has said publicly that Malik is the most mature freshman he has ever coached. if he's your guy why not reward him in some manner? why not let him set the example if he's the model you want other players to aspire to?