Holding a kid back a grade for athletic reasons

ctown81

I had a friend at Evangel in Shreveport say that they have their kids go 2 years in 8th grade...hence a 19 yr old Senior, which definitely helps. But I have also witnessed a kid get held back in Kindergarten for this reason (too early to tell, IMO) and he turned into a great piano player without an athletic bone in his body. Parents holding kids back is a family matter. But wait and see if your kids wants it. Don't let all the TDs on the playground at second grade recess determine your decision..The others will catch up to him!!

I really enjoyed the debate in the home school thread so I thought I would bring this one up. Is this ok or not. I'm all for it if it leads to a scholarship for the child.

As a parent you need to make that decision while the child is still young, like before they start kindergarten. As a kid I wouldn't want to stay back a grade after starting Kindergarten, especially in a small town/school, it's pretty special to go to school 13 years with the same group and graduate together. That being said knowing whether or not your kid has next level talent at 4 or 5 years old is not realistic, if they are good enough a year shouldn't make or break their scholarship chances.

I have a 4 year old grandson whose birthday is late august so before the sept. 1 cut-off and I have tried to tell my daughter that it would be better to wait a year so that he would be the oldest in his class rather than the youngest for "leadership" possibilities..but I do not think I would hold them back in Jr. High..

• Like 2

I have a 4 year old grandson whose birthday is late august so before the sept. 1 cut-off and I have tried to tell my daughter that it would be better to wait a year so that he would be the oldest in his class rather than the youngest for "leadership" possibilities..but I do not think I would hold them back in Jr. High..

This is spot on. My oldest son's BDay is Aug 14th, we held him back but it wasn't because of athletics, it was because he was really reserved and not comfortable in more social settings at that age. It was a great decision,being the older kid in his class was great for maturity and leadership purposes, it also helped academically.

@mustangmania - you also are spot on, my youngest (a soph now) was a stud fb player at 7-9 yrs old. He decided to play baseball only at 13, he's pretty good but he really enjoys playing with his friends and doesn't work towards that next level opportunity. At first I was disappointed, but now, if he's happy, I'm happy. I actually am more proud of my kids academic achievements than their athletic achievements. In the end all most parents want is for their kid to be happy and live a productive life. Let kids be kids, don't push them too hard at a young age, two things will happen, either you will be disappointed, or they will be disappointed, just be a supportive parent.

Scholarships can be over-rated in my opinion, it is a full time job being a college athlete, and unless you are a flat out superstar you sacrifice a lot of college life for that partial scholarship in most cases.

Back in the "stone age"(70's)....it was common if there was an "average" kid that needed an extra year of maturity...they held back in the 7th grade....and it was "ALWAYS" for "academic reasons".....BUT have seen that STUD in the JH...be held back and be a DUD in High School....was bigger faster in JH...but by the time they get into High School...every one else has caught up to them physically and competitively.....THIS is a double edge sword......can either help you or HURT you....name your "poison"!!

so if you are homeschooling; Who Knows he was held back?

1. the folks at the mall, where he is wondering around while others are in class.

2. maybe the folks in the neighborhood where he is riding his bike during school hours

3. or the park where he has an extended Pe class

4. or the place where you order grade level supplies and there is a gap in the order.

I wouldn't do it, and wouldn't have wanted to do it. I know when I was in school, and kid's would say they were held back. It only makes other students think that they are stupid because they failed a grade. Whether that is true or not, that's what others think. I also wouldn't want another year of school, back then. Today, I wish I would have never graduated just to stay in school as long as I could. Instead, I wanted to graduate early, but my Dad wouldn't let me. You also know all the students in your class. I graduated with 388 students, and knew everyone of them except a few that transferred in their senior year. You develop many friendships that last a lifetime. I'd let the kid decide.

This. Even if not for athletic reasons it gives them a year to mature.

If a kid is held back for athletic scholarship reasons that might just be the dumbest thing ever IMO.

Do the math on HS athletes getting scholarships to play at the next level ON A FULL SCHOLARSHIP. Yes there are partials.

DFW football is exactly right...Scholarships can be over-rated in my opinion, it is a full time job being a college athlete, and unless you are a flat out superstar you sacrifice a lot of college life for that partial scholarship in most cases.

D1 Scholarships Available:

Football - 85

Basketball - 13

Track - 12.6

Baseball - 11.7

Tennis - 4.5

Golf - 4.5

D2 Varies

D3 None

NAIA Limited

JC Varies

This is why STUDENT-athlete should be stressed. Schools want kids they can get academic money to. They want to stretch their scholarships as far as they can.

If a kid is held back for athletic scholarship reasons that might just be the dumbest thing ever IMO.

Do the math on HS athletes getting scholarships to play at the next level ON A FULL SCHOLARSHIP. Yes there are partials.

DFW football is exactly right...Scholarships can be over-rated in my opinion, it is a full time job being a college athlete, and unless you are a flat out superstar you sacrifice a lot of college life for that partial scholarship in most cases.

D1 Scholarships Available:

Football - 85

Basketball - 13

Track - 12.6

Baseball - 11.7

Tennis - 4.5

Golf - 4.5

D2 Varies

D3 None

NAIA Limited

JC Varies