State Championships and Bally Sports future

Mavchamp

29 minutes ago, Slickarick said:

yea no reason not to have an 11, a 2 a 6 and 10 game on Friday and Saturday. Wednesday is so early. Thursday games could have 4 then too, make it from 4 days to to three days. When 7A happens they will have to have 4 on Friday and Saturday anyway so maybe the current format is to allow for those extra games. 

No way the UIL ever goes back to 4 games in a day again...it was not popular w/the teams involved when they had it 

1 minute ago, MattStepp said:

No, six-man does not want to be treated as "second class citizens" they want to play where everyone else plays 

To account for two extra games or do they for once play on Sunday if the cowboys aren't playing? or do they move all the way back to Tuesday? 

23 minutes ago, MattStepp said:

No way the UIL ever goes back to 4 games in a day again...it was not popular w/the teams involved when they had it 

I didn't mind it it was fast but we won so.. I guess I am biased...lol

On 12/4/2023 at 7:41 AM, MattStepp said:

Honestly it all depends on who steps up and makes an offer to the UIL if no one makes an offer I think NFHS gets the first shot at the title games..I do know its important to the UIL to have the games on linear TV but I think that importance is slowly waning...Bally continues to make cut backs and I imagine they will have a scaled down production at state this year

This is honestly a chance for Texan live to step into that void. Pick up the state games. Begin to work out agreements with TXHSFB programs such as Longview/Texarkana Gameday or those great broadcast options in the RGV to capture the regional flair in the broadcasts. Build it that way so that it keeps what makes TXHSFB special, you have a product that no one can beat. So I am going to need you to make that happen.  🤣

1 hour ago, Slickarick said:

yea no reason not to have an 11, a 2 a 6 and 10 game on Friday and Saturday. Wednesday is so early. Thursday games could have 4 then too, make it from 4 days to to three days. When 7A happens they will have to have 4 on Friday and Saturday anyway so maybe the current format is to allow for those extra games. 

I would like to see one of two options when 7A hits

1. Move 1A-3A to The Star and 4A-7A stay at Cowboys....Multiple coaches I have talked to that have played at the Star would love that. It is a great place for small schools. The stands would be packed and a great atmosphere and you would still get the hospitality that Cowboys provide

2. Start 4A-7A One week later in the season and have The state games one week apart..And yes I know that can push up against Christmas but in COVID year it was kind of fun having playoff games around it and you could put the 1A and 2A back on Thursday

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TxBroadcaster said:

1. Move 1A-3A to The Star and 4A-7A stay at Cowboys....Multiple coaches I have talked to that have played at the Star would love that. It is a great place for small schools. The stands would be packed and a great atmosphere and you would still get the hospitality that Cowboys provide

2. Start 4A-7A One week later in the season and have The state games one week apart..And yes I know that can push up against Christmas but in COVID year it was kind of fun having playoff games around it and you could put the 1A and 2A back on Thursday

Yeah I like that idea of #1.

1 hour ago, MattStepp said:

Agree 100%. I am old enough to remember when there was no 6a and 5a and 5a D2 were the only ones televised and at Texas stadium. 

No, six-man does not want to be treated as "second class citizens" they want to play where everyone else plays 

They deserve just as much as the big boys. I like it just way it is or you could have the smaller schools at the star. I believe it is the best atmosphere, and best way of doing it.

1 hour ago, Slickarick said:

To account for two extra games or do they for once play on Sunday if the cowboys aren't playing? or do they move all the way back to Tuesday? 

I didn't mind it it was fast but we won so.. I guess I am biased...lol

You have to remember, six man is off this week...they could easily move to Tuesday and it would not be a big deal for them...

• Like 1

You have to remember, six man is off this week...they could easily move to Tuesday and it would not be a big deal for them...

yea forgot about that. would be cool to have them highlighted have a 2 o'clock and a 7 o'clock game

4 hours ago, Lion7000 said:

Just go there in person. Much better especially when you’re not emotionally invested in the teams. However, you gotta spend a few $$ but the experience is worth it if you love football.

yeah cuz people in El Paso and Corpus Christi and wherever should just go watch in person instead of on TV.

1 hour ago, TxBroadcaster said:

If you think six-man teams are gonna throw a fit of not being at AT&T, try telling the 2A and 3A schools they don't get to play there

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, JasonDellaRosa said:

yeah cuz people in El Paso and Corpus Christi and wherever should just go watch in person instead of on TV.

Get better or go away lol. Not the rest of the state they live so far away and not good enough. Texas is huge and every area has a gripe if it in Austin, Houston, San Antonio, Arlington, Waco , Lubbock ect… it all depends on $$$ and Arlington best provides that it up to ( your team) if you wanna be part of the process. 

11 minutes ago, JasonDellaRosa said:

If you think six-man teams are gonna throw a fit of not being at AT&T, try telling the 2A and 3A schools they don't get to play there

They most certainly will. The days of not having an individual place are long gone. 

1 hour ago, JasonDellaRosa said:

I have talked to many 2A-3A coaches about it and I have not had one say he would be against it. Those that have played at the Star before have fully been in the heck yes that would be great..At&T is awesome, but for the smaller schools the atmosphere gets lost in the cavernous of the place. 

42 minutes ago, TxBroadcaster said:

I have talked to many 2A-3A coaches about it and I have not had one say he would be against it. Those that have played at the Star before have fully been in the heck yes that would be great..At&T is awesome, but for the smaller schools the atmosphere gets lost in the cavernous of the place. 

I think that would take away from at least the 3a fans especially if it's a good game for seating. The star holds 12k. A good game could easily break that. 

Just now, blackngoldtiger said:

I think that would take away from at least the 3a fans especially if it's a good game for seating. The star holds 12k. A good game could easily break that. 

I love the Star. I think it's a great venue for any level. 

5 hours ago, TxBroadcaster said:

These are last year's attendance numbers from the UIL / ATT Stadium :

1AD2 - 4,703

1AD1 - 4,232

2AD2 - 6,504

2AD1 - 7,972

3AD2 - 11,700

3AD1 - 13,721

Capacity at The Star is 12,000 I believe.  There's also the issue that it's not just about having enough room for seating for the game, but enough seating (and parking) to allow for the "exchange" of fans from one game to the next.  Never mind the capacity for the game; it's the capacity for the transition from one set of fans to the next that would cause the problems.  I think attendance above was a bit down from the norm as well.  I don't see The Star being able to accommodate the crowds.  I'm not sure how they count attendance either.  I know the group I go with generally go the day of the game we want to see (3AD2) early enough to watch all three games.  Obviously, they aren't sending people in the crowds counting heads, so I don't know how they factor in people who go and stay all day.  The numbers above might be just "people through the gate" between this time and that time; it doesn't necessarily account for the people who don't leave between games, so under that assumption, I'd say the above numbers are lower than the actual number of people in the seats.  I could be wrong, but even so - certainly the 3A games couldn't be held at The Star at those recorded attendances - at least not conveniently and comfortably.  Then you have the parking issue.  AT&T is designed to accommodate a lot of cars wanting to park for an event at the stadium.  At The Star, it's not so much.  It's kind of squashed in a pretty popular area already - even with no events going on at The Star.

Maybe I'm just misunderstanding or misinformed, but I didn't think they were adding 7A D1 and D2....just 7A.  I thought there was also talk of adding a third division to 6A and decided to just call it 7A.  In other words, it's just one extra game.  I could be very wrong about that, but if it's just one extra game, I don't see a big problem.  The games are already Wed-Sat.  When they first started having the games at AT&T, they were trying to fit in 4 a day, and that became a problem.  BUT, perhaps you could play 4 games on Wed and only on Wed.  Or someone could give Jerry a call and tell him not to schedule a home game on that Sunday, and just move some games to that Sunday.  Short of that, and assuming 7A will only have 1 Division, it could look something like this :

Wed - 1AD2, 1AD1, 2AD2, 2AD1

Thur - 3AD2, 3AD1, 4AD2

Fri - 4AD1, 5AD2, 5AD1

Sat - 6AD2, 6AD1, 7A

Or this is a stupid idea and I don't know what I'm talking about. 

Edited by Pax