Longview Lobo Football 2014

TobinFrost

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

why do you think you should schedule a decent out of state opponent. What good does that do? You are trying to win the Texas state championship, not a national championship.

There is no reason to schedule an out of state opponent EVERY yr. Once or twice a decade...Maybe.... And honestly the reason why many schools do it, is because they can't find an in- state opponent to play.

Longview needs to concentrate on winning state first, rather than beating some out of state school.

Why? Because they aren't scared to play us. I hate it but teams in LA want to play us and don't pull out of series as Mesquite, DeSoto, the Woodlands and others have done.

The fact is DFW teams hate playing us. They don't have to so they don't. Out of state teams want our money and willing to travel close to us to do it. The Battle on the Border is the best thing that could've happened to us. We're locked in and don't have a say in who we play. But we're getting to championship quality opponent.

And, we've gotten away from that type of scheduling that helped us in the playoffs in 2010. JT99 brought up some good points regarding Monroe Neville but, historically year in and year out when you're talking about powerhouse programs in Louisiana only two or three come to mind and that's West Monroe, John Curtis and Evangel*.

Please, don't ask me what the aterisk is for, if you've kept up with Louisiana football at all, it's pretty much self explanatory. Acadiana,La. is another program on the hype that I would have rather seen Longview schedule. I'm not talking about some "flash in the pan" programs that makes the news 3 times a decade.

Do you really think we aren't trying to schedule those games?

Allen, Coppell, DeSoto, the Woodlands, Trinity we're all talked to and all said no.

Do you really think we aren't trying to schedule those games?

Allen, Coppell, DeSoto, the Woodlands, Trinity we're all talked to and all said no.

'07, I'm not saying that the aforementioned teams said, "No, Naw or Hell Naw". But, I just find it extremely hard to believe that those teams don't have the same issue we have filling their non-district schedule ESPECIALLY considering their history of state titles won.

So, my question is this: Why on God's green, Earth would THOSE programs "run" away from us during scheduling time, in your opinion? It just does not add up!!!

'07, I'm not saying that the aforementioned teams said, "No, Naw or Hell Naw". But, I just find it extremely hard to believe that those teams don't have the same issue we have filling their non-district schedule ESPECIALLY considering their history of state titles won.

So, my question is this: Why on God's green, Earth would THOSE programs "run" away from us during scheduling time, in your opinion? It just does not add up!!!

There is better competition for them, at their home stadium...without having to travel to Longview.

They clearly are having issues too, but they don't want to play us either.

There is better competition for them, at their home stadium...without having to travel to Longview.

They clearly are having issues too, but they don't want to play us either.

If those teams don't want to play us, that's fine, but I'm not buying that it's because 'there is better competition nor travel' reasons.

Just over the last two years, each of those teams have played the following non-district games....

Richardson

Hebron

Northwest

Boyd

Rockwall

Horn

Arlington

Jesuit

Martin

Union, OK

Douglas, OK

Skyline

Mexico

Jenks, OK

Tyler Lee

Not a single one of those is better competition than us.

As for the travel reason, we have shown that we are not opposed to traveling. We've played Coppell twice in the metroplex area. We played Abilene twice at neutral locations (Birdville and Plano). We played West Monroe twice at Independence Stadium.

So it's all good and fine if they don't want to play us, but I don't want to hear BS excuses as the reason why not when neither of those reasons is shown to be accurate.

So it's all good and fine if they don't want to play us, but I don't want to hear BS excuses as the reason why not when neither of those reasons is shown to be accurate.

He asked my opinion on why I thought it, that's the only reason I can think of. It makes no sense to me why DeSoto said no to us this year despite them still looking for a game as late as last night. It makes no sense to me at all. There's some teams that don't mind coming to Longview, and there's some that do. Some view Longview in the same class as a Hebron or a Skyline, so why travel when they could get the same quality competition right in their backyard? John Tyler, Tyler Lee, Lufkin, Marshall will always be up for a home and home series with us. Teams in Dallas and Houston won't at all. Some don't even want a neutral site game outside of those two cities. Coppell definitely wasn't going to ever come to Longview. And the only way we get into that series is because we're willing to sacrifice playing only in Dallas. But Longview needs home games too, and I do think that's a big reason why we settled on John Tyler this season and next.

He asked my opinion on why I thought it, that's the only reason I can think of. It makes no sense to me why DeSoto said no to us this year despite them still looking for a game as late as last night. It makes no sense to me at all. There's some teams that don't mind coming to Longview, and there's some that do. Some view Longview in the same class as a Hebron or a Skyline, so why travel when they could get the same quality competition right in their backyard? John Tyler, Tyler Lee, Lufkin, Marshall will always be up for a home and home series with us. Teams in Dallas and Houston won't at all. Some don't even want a neutral site game outside of those two cities. Coppell definitely wasn't going to ever come to Longview. And the only way we get into that series is because we're willing to sacrifice playing only in Dallas. But Longview needs home games too, and I do think that's a big reason why we settled on John Tyler this season and next.

That makes sense.

And for the record (after reading it on your reply, I read it differently than I meant), the 'BS excuses' comment wasn't directed at you. I meant in general if that was the excuses that was being given by the schools.

It's because east Texas is known for not treating guest teams fairly, officiating wise.. just saying in general lol.

North Texas is just butthurt we play better football than them LOL. I would like too see yall play more Central and South Tx teams.

I think Lake Travis/Westlake and Katy would make heck of a series. I always wouldn't mind seeing yall play Odessa Permian. The Abilene/Lee series seemed to go good for yall.

That Lee game was what really got me into football. We went before but I was too young to care really. I just remember how big of an upset it was and was drawn in from there.

They wrecked shop over us in Midland though. A series with Permian in DFW/Abilene would be epic some day, even if they are way down.

I honestly think it's because they know if they come to East Texas they are going to get hit....hard. They may be better in some years and in some they may not be but in either case, they know they will be going back home bruised up and limping. That's the difference between East Texas and the urban areas. Most East Texas teams have no desire in "finessing" their way through games. Playing here means your team will have a painful evening. That's why they don't want these games.