Coach of 2A State Finalist Fired

Bev

Hempstead football coach and dean of students Ricky Sargent was fired last night.

Sargent, whose team lost the 2A Division I title game to Melissa last December after winning its 1st 14 games, was also the Bobcats' head track coach. He wasn't with the team when it was on its way back from a meet on March 30. Two athletes, one of whom signed to play football with Lamar 2 months ago, were misbehaving and eventually told they weren't going to be allowed to eat. The 2 got off the bus to get food and that's when Sargent received a call about the 2 seniors getting off and refusing to get back on the bus. He gave the OK for them to be left behind in Giddings around 11 p.m., and then went and picked them up himself. The 2 athletes were left alone at the restaurant more than an hour. Giddings is about an hour from Hempstead.

Sargent subsequently acknowledged that he made a mistake and had said before last night's school board meeting that he was ready for any decision the board made.

If a kid refuses to get back on leave their sorry butts their and tell em to find a way home. Thats the problem with these kids these days they want to try and show a teacher/coach/parent up and then not suffer the consequences. These kids think they are grown but this is a very immature act. Sorry to the coach that he had to put up with idiots. I dont understand he went and picked them up its not like he left em there for good to find a way home although It would have crossed my mind to do for sure.

What about the coach that left the kids behind? He is just as much to blame. If you are responsible for those kids, you NEVER leave them behind!!!

Four other coaches were suspended without pay for 30 days.

I have been a high school coach for 21 years and driven the bus for no telling how many contests. There have been many situations where I was so upset with a player that I wanted to leave them...BUT, my #1 responsibility is the safety of those kids. Punish them for their actions once they get home. If they refuse to get on the bus, you make them get on or you call their parents and explain the situation and ask them what to do...But you NEVER leave them. I know these kids got home and everything was OK...But what if they hadn't gotten home and something happened between the time they were left and the time they were picked up? What if that were your child that was left? Kick the boys off the team or out of athletics, run the mess out of them, punish them however your policy book says, but never, ever leave them. I can't believe the coaches let this happen!!!

I have been a high school coach for 21 years and driven the bus for no telling how many contests. There have been many situations where I was so upset with a player that I wanted to leave them...BUT, my #1 responsibility is the safety of those kids. Punish them for their actions once they get home. If they refuse to get on the bus, you make them get on or you call their parents and explain the situation and ask them what to do...But you NEVER leave them. I know these kids got home and everything was OK...But what if they hadn't gotten home and something happened between the time they were left and the time they were picked up? What if that were your child that was left? Kick the boys off the team or out of athletics, run the mess out of them, punish them however your policy book says, but never, ever leave them. I can't believe the coaches let this happen!!!

I am a coach and if my kids are stupid enough to tell a coach what they are going to do or in this case not do, leave there butts there and call ME. By the time we made that hour trip back home they would have wished they got on that bus! Problem with our world today fellas is not the kids. Its there mommies and daddies. Heck most teenagers today make choices for the parents, and they just live with it!

Another case of the school board overreacting about an issue, why not suspend the coach instead of firing him, and why in the world is the Head Coach the head track coach also

Because the basketball coach is the AD.

I will go out on a limb and say that two young men were never in any danger for the one hour they were in Giddings, Texas. So the safety of the kids is nothing more then bleeding heart liberal boo-boo. Plus we do not know if those two young mens actions could have endangered the lives of the other kids on the bus. So I appluad the coach and pray that he does not lose his livelyhood becuase of this. It is just a sad state that we live in when we do things according to the PC mantra.

You never leave the kids behind. Call their parents and the police but do not leave them. All you ask for is a lawsuit. No matter what you feel you want to do you are responsible for the kids and you can not leave them.

And the coach knew this also. Its not PC, its not because of bball, its common sense. Had they started walking home and been hit by a car then who is at fault? The coaches period.

They could have let them stay off the bus and left a coach with them also, but never alone.

I disagree it is all about the PC mantra, becuase if it was not for the PC mantra then the coach would have been verbally repremanded at worst and the best case scenerio the kids would have been held responsable for there actions. But becuase of the PC mentality (that might be a better word to use instead of mantra) the coach could lose his teaching certificate and is now the bad guy instead of the two men who did we do not know what to even be left in the first place. But you are right that common sense says we live in a PC world you better not. So I guess my argument is the coach is not deserving of the punishment.

The coach knew the correct way to handle it. If he leaves a coach behind to watch them its all good and kids get kicked off and prob ISS. If they call the parents and explain, again can avoid the trouble. If they call the police, again avoid the trouble. Leave them behind????? No sorry its not PC its just dumb. There was many ways to solve this but one way was very wrong and that's the choice that was made. This is not PC it is common sense.

How is it wrong agian? What law was broken? Even morally how was it wrong?

Safety of the kids come first. How was it right not to call the parents? leave a coach behind? call the police if they were that out of hand?

Its not a law its a rule in every school district do not leave kids unattended. If you do not know that then your not a teacher or coach. If you leave your room and a fight breaks out you are responsible, right wrong or indifferent its you who is on the line then.

They left them in another town, what is PC about it?

So what about the safety of the kids that remained on the bus? What if by removing them they kept the kids safe? It might be harder to call a parent in hempstead then at a private school a lil fyi. So what good is leaving a coach gonna do if they will not listen to a coach on the bus they sure not gonna listen to a coach off the bus. What if there is only one coach to begin with? Calling the police can get you in just as much trouble with the school as anything else and if you dont agrre with that you have never been around some shady school admin types. Nothing is PC about the coach's actions but it is a form of holding the young men accountable for what they did and that is not PC and is why the much ado about nothing.

I think the real moral of the story is do not work for an AD/Head basketball coach.lol

Probably should have just called the police ,but putting insubordinate kids back on the bus is also a issue. Those kids could do something to distract driver or something or try and get even with coach while on bus and put in danger the other athletes that knew how to act.

If they were that big of an issue, why in the world did they stop to eat? You can't tell me, honestly, that these two were outstanding citizens to begin with. Call the cops and report them as being disruptive on the bus and wait for the cops to get there. Every bus driving school has told me that you are in charge of the safety of the entire bus and if there's no school official available to call the law. It's going to inconvenience everyone there, but I think it might have made the school board look at things differently.

If a kid refuses to get back on leave their sorry butts their and tell em to find a way home. Thats the problem with these kids these days they want to try and show a teacher/coach/parent up and then not suffer the consequences. These kids think they are grown but this is a very immature act. Sorry to the coach that he had to put up with idiots. I dont understand he went and picked them up its not like he left em there for good to find a way home although It would have crossed my mind to do for sure.

If the parents didn't kick thos boys butts it says alot abou them

I live fairly close to Hempstead and this has made the TV news around here. The fact that the head basketball coach is the AD has nothing to do with this situation. I coached for 27 years and never had this happen to me so I'm not sure what I would have done if I had been confronted with a couple of smart-mouthed kids who refused to get on the bus when I told them to do so. Here is my opinion........I would not leave the kids there. I would call the AD or a school administrator and give details of the situation and would do as instructed. If I could not reach any of them, I would call the parents. If they aren' t available, I'd call the police. I agree that you NEVER leave those kids there no matter what because if they are injured or commit a crime, you are held responsible because you were supposed to be supervising them. While I would want to leave them there, I could not do it. I know of a girls basketball coach in East Texas who got canned 2-3 years ago for basically the same thing. I think, in this case, the student who was left was not on the bus at the assigned time. When she failed to show in a reasonable time, the coach left her there.......which was only about 10 miles from home.........and called the parents when she got home and told them the kid had been left. Again, the coach lost her job. Coaches, no matter how frustrated you are, these spoiled brats are your responsibility and you cannot leave them.

PLEASE DON"T NAME ANYONE OR ANY SCHOOL but what percentage of head football and/or track coaches in Texas do you think would have made the same decision the former Hempstead coach made if faced with the same situation (before the news of this matter came out - surely no one would today)?

Also, four assistant coaches were suspended without pay for 30 days over this incident. What do you think about this penalty for them? What should they have done in that situation? What percentage of assistant coaches in Texas do you think would have done the exact same thing these assistants did if faced with the same situation? Again, PLEASE DON'T NAME ANYONE OR ANY SCHOOL.