Official 2017-2018 District 16-5A Sports Thread

Mavchamp

Marje Smith received an offer from Baylor today & one from SFA yesterday, now Marshall has 4 players with D1 offers.

Beat me to it.

Yeah..... this is crazy. Gotta give some credit to Harper and his staff for a lot of this.

While we were all disappointed with last season..... the program has been progressing in an upward direction for the last 4 years.

I think Mathis and this staff has the potential to put us into the stratosphere.

Everything I've heard from anyone has said that the energy around the fieldhouse and program is palpable.

All these D1 (and D2 offers), resurrection of 7 on 7 SQT play, all the players getting involved with camps, and the explosion of activity in summer workouts.... all this is adding up to players that are excited, motivated, and pushing each other.

Hope all this adds up to a lot of success on the field this Fall. Guess we shall wait and see!

Dunno about anyone else.... but I'm chomping at the bit.

I had this in the Mathis thread....but this is actually a better place for it.

Marshall 7 on 7 league play was last evening.

Mavs went 2-2 on the night. They beat Carthage twice and lost to Evangel twice.

Overall Marshall is 4-2 in league play thus far.

They will participate in the Tyler SQT this weekend.

I had this in the Mathis thread....but this is actually a better place for it.

Marshall 7 on 7 league play was last evening.

Mavs went 2-2 on the night. They beat Carthage twice and lost to Evangel twice.

Overall Marshall is 4-2 in league play thus far.

They will participate in the Tyler SQT this weekend.

Hopefully your Mavs will be in a pool with us or Longview, so we can tell you how they are playing. I still have to figure out if I'm going or not though. I forgot it was Father's Day weekend.

My thoughts on Marshall's day at the Tyler 7 on 7 today.......

Game One: Marshall Vs. Sulphur Springs- LOSS 42-40 (3OT)

Back and forth game.... and a game the Mavs definitely could have and probably SHOULD have won. Marshall was switching QBs too much in this game.... no one could find any rhythm. The defense actually looked better than the score showed as I believe they had 3 interceptions in the game (maybe 4?). But the offense simply couldn't cash in. One of the extra points was originally awarded as a 2 point conversion, but was later ruled a 1 point conversion. Very winnable game for the Mavs.... but too many mistakes kept SS in the hunt.... and ultimately let them steal the win in the third OT.

Game Two: Marshall Vs College Station LOSS 28-12

Plain and simple.... CS shredded us. We had no answer for their WRs, who were catching everything. Our guys looked gassed after the 3OT game. And the Marshall offense that exploded for 50 points Vs. SS.... looked anemic Vs. CS. The whole game was UGLY. We never looked in sync offensively in this game.... and we had ZERO answers as far as stopping them.

Game Three: Marshall Vs. John Tyler WIN 39-25

Marshall offense woke up big time in this one..... jumping out to a 27-0 lead in the first half. WR's were catching everything.... QB was threading some beautiful needles. Defense was hustling with some turnovers and great stops. We came out flat after halftime and JT kicked it up a notch and pulled within 27-18. But the Mavs finally put it away for the win. It was our best game of the day really.

Game Four: Marshall Vs. Longview LOSS 33-0

Total mismatch from the start. We couldn't stop them. Their QB made some really nice throws.... but it was more a product of the Lobo WR's making some outstanding....acrobatic catches. And Marshall went back to switching QB's..... and we never really threatened to score in the game really. Only had 1 possession that made it inside the 10. Offense looked horrible. QB's looked horrible. WR's couldn't catch a cold.... defense got shredded. Pretty ugly loss..... worse than the CS game. Longview was clearly LIGHT years better. Maybe some fatigue from the 3OT.... I dunno. It was brutal.

Mixed bag on the day really. SHOULD have been 2-2 on the day IMHO.... that 1 point loss to SS was a bitter pill to swallow. But the two losses weren't even competitive...... showing we have a LOT of work to do.

Back to the drawing board for Marshall.

They will return to league play for the remainder of June with Carthage, Evangel, and Henderson.

From what I understand this Tuesday will be in Shreveport Vs. Evangel along with Carthage and another Shreveport school (no Henderson?).

Just found out we will be at the Rowlett SQT next weekend.

The final week of 7 on 7 league play will be the 26th in Carthage I believe.

Lots and lots of work to be done by Marshall. Like last season.... the QB spot seems to be our biggest question mark.

Lot of other 16-5A teams in action in Tyler BTW

Texas High was 1-2 with losses to Huntsville and Jacksonville. They beat Tyler Lee B by 2.

Sulphur Springs was 2-1 with wins over Marshall and College Station and a loss to John Tyler

Greenville was 2-2 with wins over Tyler Lee and MP. Losses to Lufkin and Jacksonville.

Three Actually....but mostly 2.

Herrington and JJ split most of the action.

Herrington definitely had more success. He engineered most of the scores Vs. SS and JT. He can thread a needle. But he still likes to throw balls at WR's feet. And mobility isn't his strong point. If he's going to be a pocket passer..... our O line is gonna have to be a strength.

JJ is just young IMHO. Very inconsistent. Has a nice arm....but not very accurate just yet. Had some lame duck tosses.

• 2 weeks later...

Week 1 games:

Bishop Lynch Vs. Texas High

Tyler Lee Vs Marshall

Whitehouse Vs. Hallsville

Sulpur Springs Vs. Sherman

Pine Tree Vs. Jacksonville

North Forney Vs. Mount Pleasant

Kenowa Hills (MI) Vs. Greenville

Is that correct about Greenville??? They are hosting a team from Michigan??? No offense to the Lions.... but why would a team pay to come all the way to Texas to plaay Greenville?

Aledo? Stephenville? Highland Park? I could see that kind of trip....but seems odd.

I hope Greenville whips them good..... just to show em. lol

Does anyone know how Texas Football ranked our district this year?

1. Marshall

2. Texas High

3. Sulphur Springs

4. Pine Tree

5. Hallsville

6. Mount Pleasant

7. Greenville

In their 5A top 40....

Marshall was 40

Texas High was 42

Week 1 games:

Bishop Lynch Vs. Texas High

Tyler Lee Vs Marshall

Whitehouse Vs. Hallsville

Sulphur Springs Vs. Sherman

Pine Tree Vs. Jacksonville

North Forney Vs. Mount Pleasant

Kenowa Hills (MI) Vs. Greenville

Texas High- This could be a toss up with the new coach, systems, and some big questions for the Tigers. BUT..... Dallas schools taking 100+ mile trips is rare. Esp to the Grimmness of Tiger Stadium. I pick TxH....but a DBL win wouldn't shock me.

Marshall- changed my pick 3 times. Both have new coaches. Both have experience back, but both have HUGE question marks. Lee got a new coach in June. That's tough. But I can't erase that 35-7 beat down from Lee last season when they had a new coach. Going to pick Marshall....because I'm a homer.

Whitehouse- WH has struggled since McFarlin, but managed a playoff last season. Hallsville installs a new coach.... and likely new systems. Could be a rough start for the Bobcats.

Sulphur Springs- SS eeked this one out last year. I think the Wildcats will be better this year and should win handily.

Jacksonville- As horrible as Jax was last year... they made the playoffs, while PT squandered their chance last year. I think the Tribe wins at home. Or on the road. PT will be improved this season I believe.

North Forney- I want to believe in MP. But the Dallas area schools have just dominated this district so much (in every sport) it's hard to pick the Tigers. Prove me wrong Tigers.

Greenville- Kenowa was 4-5 the last 2 seasons. I think Greenville is better just because Texas.