7-5A Division II Football District

Mavchamp

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at the MP schedule for the year. The Tigers are losing key players on offense and on defense. So this season might be a wash.

Although, according to coach Cluley, they have so me good JV and Freshman talent coming up.

11 hours ago, budmanmpfan said:

Looking at the MP schedule for the year. The Tigers are losing key players on offense and on defense. So this season might be a wash.

Although, according to coach Cluley, they have so me good JV and Freshman talent coming up.

MP had a pretty good QB on the JV team last year.  He was very shifty.  Made some good throws.  One of the better sub varsity QBs I saw last year.  Unfortunately he didn’t have much help.  If they can get him some protection and someone to tote the rock… Tiger offense could be pretty good. 

Defense I’d have to plead ignorance on.  The MP JV offense wasn’t very good at all.  But maybe some holdovers from 2023 will be around.  

Interesting to see the non-district schedules

Jacksonville:
Center (7-4)
Brownsboro (5-5)
Henderson (2-8)
Athens (6-5)

The Indians have struggled mightily lately....so building a non-district schedule exclusively of 4A Div I and II schools could be the catalyst to getting some much needed wins.  But don't expect this to be a cakewalk for Jacksonville  Two of the four teams were playoff teams from last season and they will likely be the underdogs in at least 2 of the games.  It'll be interesting to see how they respond.  Will a (4-0) start mark a change in fortunes or will it simply be a big guy beating up on a little guy?  Will (0-4) signal a possible winless season?  And what would make J-ville fans happy... (2-2)?  (3-1)?  I think this was some smart scheduling on the park of the HFC.  This is what you need when you are trying to build up from square one.

Mount Pleasant
Crandall (6-4)
Lindale (7-5)
Terrell (7-4)
Sulphur Springs (8-3)

MP has pieced together a pretty solid non-district schedule IMHO.  All four games should be winnable for the Tigers...and they should all be really good tough games.  The Tigers aren't facing any juggernauts that are going to run them out of the stadium..... and in each game I don't think anyone would be SHOCKED if they won or lost any of them.  That's a perfect balance that you want as a coach and as a fan.  I don'y think MP wants a cake walk 4-0 start.....but they don't want to limp into district at 0-4 either.  Crandall has become an annual playoff contender and Lindale is always loaded with talent.  Sulphur Springs looks like they have turned the corner in their 4A digs.  Great schedule for MP.

Nacogdoches
Palestine (4-6)
Lufkin (5-5)
Livingston (2-9)
Bryan Rudder (3-7)

Nacogdoches took a big step back in their non-district strength of schedule from last season.   None of their 2024 opponents had a winning season last year.  Gone is state powerhouse Chapel Hill (13-3), who was a state finalist last season.  Gone is perennial playoff Lumberton (8-4).  Palestine returns as does the annual grudge match with Lufkin.  Livingston was a playoff team last year with a (2-8) regular season record.  Rudder is still a relatively new school...but was in the playoffs in 2021...but they have been (5-15) ever since.  Anything less than a (4-1) record for Nac with this line up would be somewhat disappointing.  Nac is hard to gauge.   They have athletes all over the field....and seem competitive in most games.....but they always seem to find ways to lose close games.

Marshall
Tyler (6-4)
Longview (11-2)
Tyler Legacy (3-8)
Palestine (4-6)

The most obvious change to the Maverick schedule was dropping Carthage, which clearly weakened their schedule as the Bulldogs are one of the top programs in the state.  I've often criticized Marshall's schedule for "biting off more than they can chew" in non-district, which has had the Mavs limping into district play annually with a 1-3 or 0-4 record.  Some have argued that the tough schedule has contributed to Marshall finishing either as district champion or district runner up every season since 2015 except for 2020.  Tyler, while not a playoff team in 2023, was wildy improved and likely would have been in the playoffs in most other 5A-D1 districts.  Palestine slips into Henderson's slot, which appears to be an improved game.  But Legacy taking Carthage's spot is clearly a step down.  And of course there's the grudge match against the juggernaut that is Longview.  I don't think anyone would be shocked to see Marshall go (1-3) in this schedule....nor would anyone be shocked with a (3-1)... a pretty good sign of a solid schedule.

Texas High
Tyler Legacy (3-8)
Liberty Christian Academy (14-0) (TAPPS Div II State Champions)
Midlothian Heritage (12-1)
Fayetteville (13-0) (7A State Champions)

The Tigers have pulled together a brutal schedule that not only has them facing two defending state champions, but also a region semi-finalist from 2023.   To make things even more difficult, three of their four non-district games are on the road.  The Tigers rematch Vs. Legacy in a game that was a barnburner last season in their QB's absence.    Then they hit the road to take on LCA, who won the TAPPS Division II state title last year.  LCA has approximately 1,200 students K-12 and a little over 500 in 9-12...and they are no strangers to state titles.  They have 70 state titles in various sports for boys and girls.  Then you have Midlothian Heritage, which has become one of the top playoff teams in the state in their short history.  Then the Tigers close it out with perhaps their toughest game of the regular season when they take on Arkansas 7A defending state champion Fayetteville.  

Hallsville
Lindale (7-5)
?
Corsicana (2-8)
Pine Tree (6-5)

The Bobcats haven't released their schedule yet...but I've been able to piece 9 of their 10 games from other schedules.  I've found non-district games Vs Lindale, Corsicana, and Pine Tree posted......and all three on the road.  Ouch.  When you just went (1-9)...you are desperate for wins and thus far the Bobcats will likely be the underdogs in all three of the games listed.  It'll be interesting to see who that one game is against....it may be their best chance at a win all season unless they have a major turnaround.

Whitehouse
Whitehouse is staying very close-lipped about thier schedule.  Only 1 non-district game has been confirmed and that's against Kilgore in week 2.  They will scrimmage Gilmer as well.  No other news on their other 3 non-district games.

On 2/9/2024 at 6:37 PM, CreateMyAccount said:

Being a large, good team on an island makes it pretty difficult, when was the last time Texas High had relatively closer games? 

Pleasant Grove should be playing Texas High instead of Daingerfield. 

1 hour ago, VerumDixit said:

Pleasant Grove should be playing Texas High instead of Daingerfield. 

Texas High isn't playing Daingerfield.  They have Legacy, Liberty Christian, Midlothian Heritage, and Fayetteville.  

1 hour ago, Mavchamp said:

Texas High isn't playing Daingerfield.  They have Legacy, Liberty Christian, Midlothian Heritage, and Fayetteville.  

I’m saying Pleasant Grove should be giving Texas High a close predistrict game. Instead they are playing the likes of Daingerfield.

2 hours ago, VerumDixit said:

I’m saying Pleasant Grove should be giving Texas High a close predistrict game. Instead they are playing the likes of Daingerfield.

Who on that list is the likes of Daingerfield?

Two defending state champions and a 5A region semifinalist.  How's that the likes of Daingerfield? 

Even Legacy was a 6A playoff team that gave them all they wanted last season. 

That's a killer schedule IMHO.

17 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Interesting to see the non-district schedules:

Whitehouse
Not a single peep from the Wildcats with their schedule..... a scrimmage against Gilmer is all that can be found. 

Kilgore has Whitehouse on their schedule. 

8 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Who on that list is the likes of Daingerfield?

Two defending state champions and a 5A region semifinalist.  How's that the likes of Daingerfield? 

Even Legacy was a 6A playoff team that gave them all they wanted last season. 

That's a killer schedule IMHO.

I don’t understand the disconnect. 

Pleasant Grove is playing Daingerfield in predistrict the next two seasons. 

I am saying that Pleasant Grove should be playing Texas High instead of a 3AD2 school. Which would result in a close game for Texas High. 

I am saying that Pleasant Grove should be playing Texas High instead of a 3AD2 school. Which would result in a close game for Texas High. 

The disconnect is that you’re talking about a 4A team on a 5A thread.

It sounded like you were questioning Texas High’s schedule for not playing PG.

But you’re actually questioning PG’s schedule for not playing THS.   

I would have known you were complaining about theirs on a 4A thread…. But on this thread it seemed like you were complaining about THS’ schedule.  

You would need to talk to THS fans about the whys and hows of not playing PG or LE or even AHS for that matter.

But I have a feeling Tiger fans are pretty excited about their line-up. 

Probably 99% of the people who read your first statement understood what you were saying. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, VerumDixit said:

I get what you’re saying but Texas probably doesn’t want to. Location of them probably should play. 

Picked up another game on Hallsville's schedule....leaving only one week unfilled (Week 2).

Also got Whitehouse's Week 2 game Vs Kilgore....but no other non-district games are posted for them yet.

Week 1
Tyler Vs. Marshall
Tyler Legacy Vs. Texas High
Jacksonville Vs. Center
Hallsville Vs. Lindale
Crandall Vs. Mount Pleasant 
Palestine Vs. Nacogdoches
Whitehouse- TBA

Week 2
Longview Vs. Marshall
Lufkin Vs. Nacogdoches
Texas High Vs. Liberty Christian
Lindale Vs. Mount Pleasant
Jacksonville Vs. Brownsboro
Whitehouse Vs. Kilgore
Hallsville- TBA

Week 3
Marshall Vs. Tyler Legacy
Terrell Vs. Mount Pleasant
Midlothian Heritage Vs Texas High
Livingston Vs. Nacogdoches
Henderson Vs. Jacksonville
Hallsville Vs. Corsicana
Whitehouse- TBA

Week 4
Marshall Vs. Palestine
Athens Vs. Jacksonville
Texas High Vs. Fayetteville
Nacogdoches Vs. Bryan Rudder
Mount Pleasant Vs. Sulphur Springs
Hallsville Vs. Pine Tree
Whitehouse- TBA

6 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

The disconnect is that you’re talking about a 4A team on a 5A thread.

It sounded like you were questioning Texas High’s schedule for not playing PG.

But you’re actually questioning PG’s schedule for not playing THS.   

I would have known you were complaining about theirs on a 4A thread…. But on this thread it seemed like you were complaining about THS’ schedule.  

You would need to talk to THS fans about the whys and hows of not playing PG or LE or even AHS for that matter.

But I have a feeling Tiger fans are pretty excited about their line-up. 

I would like to play PG just because it is local.  In recent years they would have been competitive and would have probably won a couple.  Not sure that will be the case this year, but I don't understand why local teams don't play.   It isn't a death match.

And except for the travel I don't mind our schedule.  If we go 0-4 then we still have a chance to go deep in the playoffs. I don't give a rip about preseason records which is why I've wanted to get Longview on it for years.

5 hours ago, cotton84 said:

Probably 99% of the people who read your first statement understood what you were saying. 

Yeah I have to agree.    I knew what he meant right away.   Sometimes you can read things and see something that isn't there. Happens to me all the time.

• Like 1

On 3/17/2024 at 8:03 AM, VerumDixit said:

Better for both teams not to play. PG wants people thinking they could beat T-high (maybe they could some years) T-High wants to remain the big guy in town that wouldn't be beat by the other schools. Yes i wish all 4 schools played each other but i understand why they don't. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tex85 said:

Better for both teams not to play. PG wants people thinking they could beat T-high (maybe they could some years) T-High wants to remain the big guy in town that wouldn't be beat by the other schools. Yes i wish all 4 schools played each other but i understand why they don't. 

Probably be a better chance that T High would consider it if P G’s visitor side held twice as many people.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cotton84 said:

Probably be a better chance that T High would consider it if P G’s visitor side held twice as many people.  

Shame there isn’t another option. Like Chill and Whitehouse playing at the Rose. 

1 hour ago, Lion7000 said:

Shame there isn’t another option. Like Chill and Whitehouse playing at the Rose. 

PG and THS could play at AHS to make it “neutral” for both.  And plenty of room for both. 

• Like 3