Coaching Families

blitzem

I was talking with some friends the other day and the topic came up of current coaches who were coaches kids.

I believe Dickey Meeks son is now coaching for him, but I could be wrong. (I know his son in law does).

Vallery who was at Kilgore's son is an assistant at Longview.

I know on our staff in Lindale, our DC, Klint King, is the son of former Sulphur Springs head coach, Chuck King. And Craig McFarlin, son of former Whitehouse head coach Randy McFarlin is a defensive assistant.

I know I've missed a lot of names, so feel free to add!

I would be willing to bet more coaches are not from coaching families than coaches that are. However, if your "daddy" was a coach I bet it's easier for you to have a more premier position earlier because coaches think those guys would know more.

Depends on the kid.

Wayne Gandy, Joaquin AD/ HFC, has three sons. The oldest, Brian, is offensive coordinator at Huntington. Bradley is an assistant in football and Head Basketball Coach at Corrigan-Camden. The youngest, Patrick, is an assistant at Timpson.

AS the AD/HFC I have had the privilege of coaching all three of my children and now both boys have worked for me. I know some coaches get out of coaching so they don't coach their kids due to the above mentioned "pressure of perception" put on them being the Coach's kid. I am very proud that my oldest was my OC in San Augustine for two seasons and now my youngest son is the current OC. Who better to run your offense than someone who has grown up in the system and been college QB's. They know the system and have put their own "wrinkles" in over the years and been successful. Before I retire I hope to hire my daughter who is a GA at the college DI level as an Athletic Trainer! What a privilege to keep family close in a profession where the perception is that family is lost in the hours of our work schedule. I wouldn't change it for another profession!

BTW, Bradley Gandy is now my DC and coaching against his father as a district foe....nothing like a little family rivalry!

As long as you keep things in this order, your world is a pleasant place to live:

1. Faith

2. Family

3. Football

Pack Pride!

Coach Hub

I would be willing to bet more coaches are not from coaching families than coaches that are. However, if your "daddy" was a coach I bet it's easier for you to have a more premier position earlier because coaches think those guys would know more.

I would think most coaches are not from coaching families. But as far as saying that a coaches kid gets a better job because of his dad is not always true. In general it seems like most coaches kids come out of college their first year coaching and know quite a bit and are ready for more responsibility (not all). When you grown up in the field house from a young age and have a dad coming home who you can sit down and talk ball with, you've got an advantage. Period. It's different than just being a player,high school or college.

That being said, a lot of coaches kids still put in their time at the lower levels. I know McFarlin's son started out as a middle school coach, then freshman. Not everyone gets handed a varsity job first thing.

Former Ennis HC Sam Harrell and his 3 boys.

Zac is OC at Sweetwater.

Clark is the Def backs coach at Sweetwater.

Graham is an asst. at Washington State.

All four are in involved with the Graham Harrell Passing School. https://www.harrellpassing.com/directors/index.html

I didn't realize Graham was at Washington State now. I knew last year he was the volunteer qb coach at Tyler Grace.

AS the AD/HFC I have had the privilege of coaching all three of my children and now both boys have worked for me. I know some coaches get out of coaching so they don't coach their kids due to the above mentioned "pressure of perception" put on them being the Coach's kid. I am very proud that my oldest was my OC in San Augustine for two seasons and now my youngest son is the current OC. Who better to run your offense than someone who has grown up in the system and been college QB's. They know the system and have put their own "wrinkles" in over the years and been successful. Before I retire I hope to hire my daughter who is a GA at the college DI level as an Athletic Trainer! What a privilege to keep family close in a profession where the perception is that family is lost in the hours of our work schedule. I wouldn't change it for another profession!

BTW, Bradley Gandy is now my DC and coaching against his father as a district foe....nothing like a little family rivalry!

As long as you keep things in this order, your world is a pleasant place to live:

1. Faith

2. Family

3. Football

Pack Pride!

Coach Hub

Looks like Coach Gandy will get to coach against all 3 boys this year. We scrimmage Huntington, play Timpson in Week 6, and SA in district. Pretty cool.

Joe and Mike Hedrick. Joe besides being in the Hall of Honor was a decorated Marine on Iwo Jima before he won a BUNCH of games at Franklin.

Mike has gone back to Franklin a few years ago after winning a bunch of games at Leon and has made Frankilin back into one of the elite programs in the state.

I am betting that Mike too will wind up the THSCA Hall of Honor. Are their any other father son combos that have achieved that distinction?

I think Mike's son is also Coaching now.

BillyClydePuckett- I would have to agree probably not a more sucessful father son combo that Joe and Mike Hedrick

Joe Hedrick's record (240-121-15)

Mike Hedrick's record (248-147-11)

Mike is still stacking up the wins too... He should get several more this year. He will have a really good team coming back..

Chuck York - State Championship - Brady (1959)

Toby York - State Championship - Cameron Yoe (1981)

Todd York - State Championship - Corrigan-Camden (2002)

http://lubbockonline.com/stories/122502/hig_122502021.shtml

Toby just recently retired as a superintendent and Todd is the AD for the Georgetown ISD district. According to Texas High School Football History, this is the only family to win state championships.

Coach York was 77-11 in his 7 years in Cameron (1981-1987).

Marshall's current HFC/AD....... Clint Harper.

His dad was a part of Dennis Parker's staff.... and he was on the 1990 staff that won the 5A Div I state championship for the Mavs.

Guest troup7on7

Pat Davis -Troup ( great man )

Patrick Davis - Chapel Hill, now Winona

Chris Davis - West Rusk

These are three of the greatest men you could ever have coaching your kid. Especially daddy Pat in Troup, by far one of the greatest men i know.