Best BBQ in east texas?

I struggle to find good BBQ in Indiana. I ate at the Bodacious here in Lafayette and it was nothing like the flavor of the one's around Tyler. I went there several times and finally it closed. Famous Dave's in Indianapolis is some of the best I've eaten. I sure miss being able to find a different BBQ joint every where you look.

Its tough once you get too far away.We went to visit my Aunt who worked in Washington DC. She takes us to a 'BBQ restraunt'.These folks bring us a plate with something that looks like roast beef on it,with cole slaw piled high on top of the meat. I soon asked them were was the sauce? Response: waitress brings me packets of ketchup. I have never been so disapointed,not even when i got a hamburger in Korea with cabbage and cucumber instead of lettuce and pickles.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its tough once you get too far away.We went to visit my Aunt who worked in Washington DC. She takes us to a 'BBQ restraunt'.These folks bring us a plate with something that looks like roast beef on it,with cole slaw piled high on top of the meat. I soon asked them were was the sauce? Response: waitress brings me packets of ketchup. I have never been so disapointed,not even when i got a hamburger in Korea with cabbage and cucumber instead of lettuce and pickles.

I have had one of those nasty Korean hamburgers you described from Seoul Korea ... the McDonalds Big Mac I tried to eat in Oslow Norway was even worse ... I was really hungry for a hamburger and my eyes lit up when I saw the golden arches although McDonalds isn't my choice of hamburgers. I managed to get about two bites of the thing down.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Um 4Rivers Smokehouse! For sure best BBQ in the area. Their smoked brisket is to die for.

I think Orlando, FL might be a mile or 3 outside of ET. Cool way to get hits for the site though.

Stanley's BBQ just received their 2nd. consecutive Best Pork Ribs in Texas award at the Texas Monthly BBQ Festival in Austin this past weekend, and yes, Country Tavern was competing as well.

I think Orlando, FL might be a mile or 3 outside of ET. Cool way to get hits for the site though.

Stanley's BBQ just received their 2nd. consecutive Best Pork Ribs in Texas award at the Texas Monthly BBQ Festival in Austin this past weekend, and yes, Country Tavern was competing as well.

Country Tavern is just not what it use to be. Never had Stanley's ,but heard good things about them But my money on the Ribmaster in Whitehouse.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm a huge BBQ snob. I've never had any ribs -- Ribmasters, Country Tavern, anywhere -- that come close to those that come out of the pit at Stanley's. This is pork ribs, by the way.

Beef ribs? Louie Mueller, hands down. And no one will ever beat 'em.

I know what you mean about Stanley's ribs. I use their freakin rub, same wood and same time and temp. I can crank out some good eatin, but nothing compared to what comes outta their pit.

Jake and I are going to make a 1 day tour through the Taylor-Austin-Lockhart region on either the 14th or the 21st. First stop will be Mueller's.

Won't have time for Franklin's in Austin.

Any suggestions??

• 2 weeks later...

First stop will be Mueller's.

Won't have time for Franklin's in Austin.

First stop was Muellers and it was incredible. The 1.5 pound beef rib just melted in your mouth.(still have about 1lb left)

The brisket was probably the best brisket I had ever had......that lasted about an hour until we made time for Franklin BBQ in Austin. Don't know how he does it, but his brisket is just on another level. He gave us about 1.5 pounds of brisket, pulled pork sandwich, chopped beef sandwich, sausage link and 2 ribs....and it totaled up to $0.00. After the $18.00 beef rib at Mueller's, that was a welcome surprise.

Ended up going to Black's,Smitty's and Kreuz and picking up to-go orders. Guess I will still be eating leftover brisket and sausage for Christmas.

• 2 months later...

Country Tavern in Kilgore

Cooper's BBQ in Llano will ship an order to you. Best ribs & brisket ever. The Big Chop aint too shabby either.

Cooper's has to be in the top 10 in Texas. You can get anything from Brisket to Spanish Goat. Sometimes it seems Llano's population doubles when the line wends its way around the front of the restaurant.

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Their other food is far better than their BBQ ... in my opinion.

They make a good hamburger, I am not a big BBQ person but have their BBQ sandwich everynow and then. Their cajun catfish isn't bad either, every once and a while the fish have that fishy taste but not often.

• 5 months later...

This place may have already been mentioned, but I recently stopped by Hickory Hills on 31 between Tyler and Kilgore. I got the chopped beef, it was very good, meat was very tender and juicy. I will have to say the sauce was a bit more sweet than I like, I prefer more vinegar based sauce, but it was good. Meat was good without any sauce too. Their link sausage was also very good. I tried the hotlinks and they were good too. Anyway, I will say that it was about 50 times better than Pat's which is out in that area too. I would never recommend Pat's at all, but I will try ths place again and see.

If you stop and try it and it is not good, I apologize in advance, but it was really good the first time I stopped in there. Also, it is cash or check only, no credit cards. And the two gentleman who run the place are neat men to visit with a bit. I enjoyed the conversation as well.

If you come to Waskom to beat us in football go to Jim's BBQ before the game, they are pretty good. They may not be open after the game

this statement is true. I love Jim's. if im in the area for work this is where I will stop.

He don't sell none but Hayseads BBQ aint bad at all.

shameless hayseed plug.

Hey ...... theres a BBQ place in Crockett that is in a Truck stop that's pretty good. Anybody know the name?

as far as truck stop bbq goes I always liked Rudy's

• 4 months later...

The best bbq is in Hooks at Ramage Farms.

So sad Ramage Burned down a couple years back.

When I am in Daingerfield, I like to go to Outlaws.

I-30 corridor, Soulmans BBQ has a couple, including Royse City.

Austin is out of area, too, but Franklin's if you get there before they run out, and the Ribs at Ironworks are HUGE and great!

• 1 year later...

This place may have already been mentioned, but I recently stopped by Hickory Hills on 31 between Tyler and Kilgore. I got the chopped beef, it was very good, meat was very tender and juicy. I will have to say the sauce was a bit more sweet than I like, I prefer more vinegar based sauce, but it was good. Meat was good without any sauce too. Their link sausage was also very good. I tried the hotlinks and they were good too. Anyway, I will say that it was about 50 times better than Pat's which is out in that area too. I would never recommend Pat's at all, but I will try ths place again and see.

If you stop and try it and it is not good, I apologize in advance, but it was really good the first time I stopped in there. Also, it is cash or check only, no credit cards. And the two gentleman who run the place are neat men to visit with a bit. I enjoyed the conversation as well.

Is that the one where they slowly built a brick wall over several years? I know at one time there was also a bbq place on 31 and it was a little building beside someone's house. Haven't driven 31 in some time though.

At Stanley's I usually get the Scherove - it's a sandwich with a piece of ham, cheese and chopped bbq. I've had the ribs a time or two and for whatever reason they never knocked me out. Maybe a bad day.

Reading through this thread, probably 3 or 4 of these restaurants don't exist anymore.

See if you can help with info on a bbq joint around Marshall.

My cousin told me about a place outside of Marshall that was good. Even though I've asked him to find out the name, he just doesn't do it. He texts, so dang man, take a picture of the sign and text it to me, should be easy!

I think it may be relatively new, within the last couple years and possibly in a double wide or something? I've Googled every thing I could think to no avail.

Is that the one where they slowly built a brick wall over several years? I know at one time there was also a bbq place on 31 and it was a little building beside someone's house. Haven't driven 31 in some time though.

At Stanley's I usually get the Scherove - it's a sandwich with a piece of ham, cheese and chopped bbq. I've had the ribs a time or two and for whatever reason they never knocked me out. Maybe a bad day.

Reading through this thread, probably 3 or 4 of these restaurants don't exist anymore.

My cousin told me about a place outside of Marshall that was good. Even though I've asked him to find out the name, he just doesn't do it. He texts, so dang man, take a picture of the sign and text it to me, should be easy!

I think it may be relatively new, within the last couple years and possibly in a double wide or something? I've Googled every thing I could think to no avail.

Bear Creek Smokehouse in Marshall...

Bear Creek Smokehouse in Marshall...