RIP Coach Outlaw

85lobo

LUFKIN, TX (KTRE) - Hospital officials confirm Lufkin Head Coach and Athletic Director John Outlaw was pronounced dead Friday morning shortly before 6AM.

The long time coach arrived at the emergency unresponsive. Doctors tried to revive him, but could not. It is believed Coach Outlaw collapsed at home. A Justice of the Peace pronounced him dead at 5:53AM and ordered an autopsy to help determine cause of death. Early indications point to a possible heart attack.

An eternal optimist, Coach Outlaw loved his job, his family, and his community.

Outlaw has an ever growing list of athletes that have signed to college scholarships and that is something he takes pride in. "We've done a good job of marketing our kids and helping our kids both academically and athletically. It opens up a lot of doors that otherwise wouldn't open."

One of his co-workers recalled how he was always pulling for the underdog. "Those kids who had unstable lives at home. Those kids who needed someone to believe in them. Those kids who hung on to football as a lifeline. Those were the kids Coach Outlaw was most interested in. He loved all of his kids, but those kids who needed him most were the ones he gravitated towards."

The Panther's last state title was in 2001, no one was more anxious to get back to that level than Outlaw, though his philosophy was to take one season at a time, a game at a time

In a preseason interview Outlaw talked about the 2011 season. Coach Outlaw said he was not worried about the pressure, but how his team would respond. "Pressure is when you don't have enough money to pay your bills at the end of the month. I try to tell everybody I don't know what kind of team we are going to have until I find out how they act when we are behind."

The Pack went on to complete a 9-2-0 season with Coach Outlaw picking up his 300th career win against rival The Woodlands in October.

We will have continuous updates throughout the day

Lufkin head football coach John Outlaw died on Friday morning of an apparent heart attack, he was 58.

Outlaw has been the AD/Football Coach at Lufkin High School since 1995, and compiled a record of 162-46-1, including the 2001 Class 5-A State Championship.

I spoke with Coach Outlaw earlier this week while talking about an all-state nominee (DT-Tommy Mark), and I asked how he was doing and in typical Outlaw fashion he responded, "I'm fine as long as they won't run me out of town for a third-straight first-round playoff loss."

Outlaw was on Christmas break and hosting his grandchildren, "

and he was entertaining his grandkids and said, "these great kids don't care whether granddad is 0-10 or a state champion."

Outlaw also once told me, "It's not about the wins, losses and championships, it's about us nurturing young people into successful young men, that will be my eventual win-loss record."

Coach Outlaw was also a very successful coach at Sherman High School before Lufkin, and was a legendary state championship coach from Arkadelphia, Arkansas.

Lufkin head football coach John Outlaw died on Friday morning of an apparent heart attack, he was 58.

Outlaw has been the AD/Football Coach at Lufkin High School since 1995, and compiled a record of 162-46-1, including the 2001 Class 5-A State Championship.

I spoke with Coach Outlaw earlier this week while talking about an all-state nominee (DT-Tommy Mark), and I asked how he was doing and in typical Outlaw fashion he responded, "I'm fine as long as they won't run me out of town for a third-straight first-round playoff loss."

and he was entertaining his grandkids and said, "these great kids don't care whether granddad is 0-10 or a state champion."

Outlaw also once told me, "It's not about the wins, losses and championships, it's about us nurturing young people into successful young men, that will be my eventual win-loss record."

Coach Outlaw was also a very successful coach at Sherman High School before Lufkin, and was a legendary state championship coach from Arkadelphia, Arkansas.

Smoaky, I remember how hard you worked to win over The Outlaw in the early days. He was something. But your efforts were rewarded. We fans were rewarded with some of the best interviews ever. We have lost a true character, but we are left with great memories.

This is a wake up call for all of us that like to get on the coaches in a personal sort of way rather than a professional way. It's important for all of us to remember that coaches are humans like the rest of us and carry the responsibilities that we all have as husbands, fathers and grandfathers. There is always a team of loved ones behind the coach who has to listen to it all in the stands and quietly subject themselves to the ridicule and personal attacks. At this time, it's important to remember Coach Outlaw for who he was as a person who cared deeply for his players and young people in the tough demographics of east Texas. May Coach Outlaw rest in the peace that is now his and for the rest of us to take away one "last play call" on behalf of the coach.

Paid my respects over on 5A and the Lufkin board early but will do so here as well. Thoughts going to all those in Lufkin that are effected by this truly great loss. Can't stand the program but have nothing but respect for all those that suit up and wear the purple and gold and especially for the man who brought Lufkin up to be such a great force in this great state of ours.

This is a wake up call for all of us that like to get on the coaches in a personal sort of way rather than a professional way. It's important for all of us to remember that coaches are humans like the rest of us and carry the responsibilities that we all have as husbands, fathers and grandfathers. There is always a team of loved ones behind the coach who has to listen to it all in the stands and quietly subject themselves to the ridicule and personal attacks. At this time, it's important to remember Coach Outlaw for who he was as a person who cared deeply for his players and young people in the tough demographics of east Texas. May Coach Outlaw rest in the peace that is now his and for the rest of us to take away one "last play call" on behalf of the coach.

+1