Targeting Of Ref By Players During Friday Game

Stoney

UPDATE: Targeted Texas ref on 'bad call' hit wants to press charges

Tanita Gaither

Sep 8, 2015 21:42

SAN ANTONIO (WTVM) The referee who was violently targeted by two Texas high school football players says he wants to press charges, according to media reports.

The referee, identified as Robert Watts, told the Austin [TX] American-Statesman that he wants to press charges on the two John Jay San Antonio football players who went after him, allegedly for a bad call play earlier in the game. The newspaper also names the two players - sophomore linebacker Victor Rojas and senior defensive back Michael Moreno.

During a game on Sept. 4 between San Antonio John Jay High School and Marble Falls [TX] High School, it appears that two John Jay football players purposefully hit a referee standing on the defensive side of the ball, knocking his hat off as he fell to the ground; a second player made forceful contact with the referee.

John Jay lost to Marble Falls 15-9. Two players were removed from the game, but one of them wasn't even involved in the infamous play. Moreno remained in the game following the referee hit, and assessed a 15-yard penalty.

MySanAntonio.com says the two high schoolers have been suspended from school and the team as of Sunday night. Texas school officials called the play disturbing and they are continuing to investigate the incident. John Jay High's assistant football coach has since been placed on paid administrative leave.

But the two football players aren't going down lightly; according to San Antonio news stations KAAB and WOAI, the two football players said the referee made a racial slur toward the team that may have proceeded their actions.

The video has garnered more than 4 million views on YouTube since Sept. 5.

Mobile users: You can view the video by clicking here.

Copyright 2015 WTVM. All rights reserved.

Comment Share

If the ref made a slur and the kids immediately took action against the ref, it would be a different story.I'm not condoning an immediate attack, just saying the players could have lost their cool and acted irresponsibly.

BUT, the players waited and planned an attack. That's premeditated. Throw the book at them and investigate the ref.

• Like 1

If the ref made a slur and the kids immediately took action against the ref, it would be a different story.I'm not condoning an immediate attack, just saying the players could have lost their cool and acted irresponsibly.

BUT, the players waited and planned an attack. That's premeditated. Throw the book at them and investigate the ref.

Agree

Way too many unanswered questions for me to pass judgment. I'd like to know exactly what was said. Did the players notify their coach. What type of area is this school in? IF the ref was saying inappropriate things, how long this this go on? We have to remember these are kids and not rational thinking adults. I think I'll wait to get the whole story first.

Seriously? Your moral compass needs more than what you see in the video for your spine to function properly?

Seriously? Your moral compass needs more than what you see in the video for your spine to function properly?

Ok this is getting comical. My moral compass works fine. I just wanted more info. It's not in me to pass judgment quickly. My I have moral compass but it covers all of the parties involved. So no one on has ever thrown a punch over words? I understand the dangers of the helmets but I'm almost certain the boys weren't thinking I'm going to kill this ref by ramming my helmet into his head. A thug is not defined by one event but events. Show me a pattern and i'll say they're thugs.

Ok this is getting comical. My moral compass works fine. I just wanted more info. It's not in me to pass judgment quickly. My I have moral compass but it covers all of the parties involved. So no one on has ever thrown a punch over words? I understand the dangers of the helmets but I'm almost certain the boys weren't thinking I'm going to kill this ref by ramming my helmet into his head. A thug is not defined by one event but events. Show me a pattern and i'll say they're thugs.

I'm beginning to think You wouldn't consider them "thugs" until you had a helmet in Your back...That way of thinking leads to something else;Repeat Offenders...

Say what you will but one 8ncident doesn't snake a thug. All I see is one horrible decision that they will get punished for deservingly. If one violent incident makes you a thug, well I'm sure smoaky is full of them. If they put a helmet to my back over a call l, this incident would be famous for different reason but if I'm an adult in authority acting childish,I put myself in childish situations.

#81 for Jay, who speared the ref "while he was down", was mistakenly not ejected.

#81 for Jay, hit the QB "while he was taking a knee", on the following play and was ejected.

#81 has developed a pattern of hitting those who are already down. I don't know about the word thug, but a term that describes my cat fits well.

#81 for Jay, who speared the ref "while he was down", was mistakenly not ejected.

#81 for Jay, hit the QB "while he was taking a knee", on the following play and was ejected.

#81 has developed a pattern of hitting those who are already down. I don't know about the word thug, but a term that describes my cat fits well.

So 81 speared the ref and mistakenly not ejected, but 81 stayed in the game anyway. Whether 81 was ejected or not, his coach should have never had him in the game. Which still doesnt codone thr coaches actions. I tend to give more benefit of the doubt to inner city coaches but not in thia case. Integrity starts at the top. kid was given a chance and the ok to be a fool and it was given to him.IMO that hit on the QB is despicable. Like I said, yall seem to think I have no morals because I wont use the word thug. I have not once condone the action. It was stupid, despicable and idotic. To me thug is a lifestyle and a very serious label to put on anyone. At work, I've been around true legit thugs and of this is the kids only incident in life, it doesn't fit the bill. Truth be told I've been around kids who would have had the ref jumped while leaving the parking lot. That's thuggish.

I think you all have punks confused with thugs.punks pose as thugs when there is no real danger. They attacked someone who they knew wouldn't attack back .not very thuggish if you're attacking someone fully padded in my book.

So 81 speared the ref and mistakenly not ejected, but 81 stayed in the game anyway. Whether 81 was ejected or not, his coach should have never had him in the game. Which still doesnt codone thr coaches actions. I tend to give more benefit of the doubt to inner city coaches but not in thia case. Integrity starts at the top. kid was given a chance and the ok to be a fool and it was given to him.IMO that hit on the QB is despicable. Like I said, yall seem to think I have no morals because I wont use the word thug. I have not once condone the action. It was stupid, despicable and idotic. To me thug is a lifestyle and a very serious label to put on anyone. At work, I've been around true legit thugs and of this is the kids only incident in life, it doesn't fit the bill. Truth be told I've been around kids who would have had the ref jumped while leaving the parking lot. That's thuggish.

I think you all have punks confused with thugs.punks pose as thugs when there is no real danger. They attacked someone who they knew wouldn't attack back .not very thuggish if you're attacking someone fully padded in my book.

So are you saying #81's actions were all on the coach?

And I'm not going to argue with you. Seeing that the kid wasn't ejected or taken out of the game tells me that the asst coach may have had something to do with this... Or at least made me consider him being a 3rd party in it...

This incident reminds me of the attack on America's police officers, instead of focusing on the behavior of the "criminals" some are trying to shift the blame to the referee .... My opinion is the accusation against the official is more than likely just a smoke screen to shift blame .... from what I have heard, the ref involved is being slandered and has never been involved in anything like this before .... it he were using racial slurs, there would have been previous complaints ...

• Like 1