Carthage Scott Surratt

nacdragon07

The median household income in East Texas is nowhere near $49,000. Averages do not give an accurate picture of what MOST people are making. Median is more accurate because it tells you what MOST people are making.

What? I guarantee you the median household income in Panola County is more than $49,000 for households that actually have 2 people working. Most people that try, and have a job make more than $25,000 a year. What do you think most people make?

In Texas, we've got to take home $49,195 in order to be considered middle class. That's take home pay, not a gross salary. The Census data shows the highest average household income across the U.S. was in Maryland at $67,469.

Sad thing is that even bringing home $49,000 a year it's hard to live a middle class life anymore. Inflation is rising much faster than wages. Maybe Trump will help us fix this predicament.
  • Like 1

What? I guarantee you the median household income in Panola County is more than $49,000 for households that actually have 2 people working. Most people that try, and have a job make more than $25,000 a year. What do you think most people make?

No way, the govt has access to peoples' salaries when they deal with paychecks and tax returns. The reality is that most people in East Texas are struggling. Especially in Panola County.

There's not much of a middle class left anymore. We now live in a service economy. Very few people in East Texas are making $60,000 per year with their spouse making the same to get a total of $120,000. Just not happening. maybe if you are a superintendent yes maybe, or an orthodontist, but those high salaried professions are few and far between.

I would say this might be the case in ETX as a whole, but in Panola County where the oil and gas industry is good a 60k per year job would be considered an average job. Now at the moment we are in a downturn in the industry, but it is picking up now. 1.5 years ago a man could make 60k a year working at an entry level job at an oil field construction company. A roughneck his 1st year in the industry makes 70-80k a year. When the oil price goes back up these jobs will come back. There are plenty of good high paying jobs for people willing to work the hours, and not afraid to travel to where the work is. We are very fortunate in Panola County to have jobs where people can earn good salaries.
  • Like 1

I would say this might be the case in ETX as a whole, but in Panola County where the oil and gas industry is good a 60k per year job would be considered an average job. Now at the moment we are in a downturn in the industry, but it is picking up now. 1.5 years ago a man could make 60k a year working at an entry level job at an oil field construction company. A roughneck his 1st year in the industry makes 70-80k a year. When the oil price goes back up these jobs will come back. There are plenty of good high paying jobs for people willing to work the hours, and not afraid to travel to where the work is. We are very fortunate in Panola County to have jobs where people can earn good salaries.

I am talking about MEDIAN not AVERAGE incomes. Median is more accurate. Also, there are more people in Panola who are NOT in the oil industry than those that ARE.

My argument wasn't even about any of this. It's the simple fact that his salary is 4x less than what it would be on the next level... however, I don't know him... he works in Carthage, which makes me think that he is a simple man, who is a football mastermind and may be satisfied with being among the greatest HS coaches... money may not be an aspiration for him.

I am happy if he stays in HS and will be a fan of what he does and what he could do if he ever goes the college route.

My argument wasn't even about any of this. It's the simple fact that his salary is 4x less than what it would be on the next level... however, I don't know him... he works in Carthage, which makes me think that he is a simple man, who is a football mastermind and may be satisfied with being among the greatest HS coaches... money may not be an aspiration for him.

I am happy if he stays in HS and will be a fan of what he does and what he could do if he ever goes the college route.

As would we All... But let's just stop talking about all that!😜