Week 10: Hallsville (2-6), (2-3) Vs. Marshall (5-3), (4-1)

Mavchamp

Hallsville Vs. Marshall  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Who you got?

• Hallsville in a close one
    • Marshall in a close one
    • Hallsville in a blowout
    • Marshall in a blowout

This poll is closed to new votes

This is a HUGE game for both teams.

Marshall can clinch a home playoff game with a win over Hallsville coupled with a Nac loss to Texas High.

A Marshall loss could make things messy headed into the regular season finale....not only concerning hosting a playoff game...but possibly with the playoffs altogether (even though it would take some wild things to happen in the final two weeks).

A loss by the Bobcats would put their playoff hopes in dire straits...while a win would keep them in the thick of the race.  

------

The Mavericks and Bobcats first met in 2000 as a non-district series.  They became district rivals in 2002 and have been paired together with Pine Tree as district mates ever since.  

Marshall leads the overall series 16-5.  The Mavs have won six games in a row.  Hallsville's last win came in 2014.  

Bobcats are (1-10) at Maverick Stadium all-time.

Marshall is (4-4) at Bobcat Stadium all-time.

Biggest Marshall win in the series: 58-14 in 2017

Biggest Hallsville win in the series: 40-9 in 2003

Longest Bobcat Win Streak: 4 in a row (2011, 12, 13, 14)

Longest Marshall Win Streak: 7 in a row (2004, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10)

--------

I'll get all the statistical stuff posted in the next couple of days

• Like 1

Our defense has dragged us to victory the last two weeks with our offense kicking and screaming to lose. 

Offensive line has greatly improved from last year, but it’s still a thorn in our side. 

Too much sideways passing and sideways running imho.  Defenses are chewing us up. Our best is to throw downfield on short passes and just power up the middle. 

The offense will look fantastic one drive abd awful the next.  Just very inconsistent.  They continuously put the defense in bad situations and the D always seems to save their hide. 

How awesome it would be to have a complete game on both sides of the ball.  If that happens… we’re a pretty dang good team.  But the helter skelter offense has us bogged down into being average right now. 

BUT…. I have to admit.  This team has some grit and guts. They don’t give up.  They fight and grind to the end.  And I absolutely love that. 

Nac came back for the win with the run game between the tackles and took the short passing game away from Hallsville. Slot receiver for Hallsville #5 Carter Rogas probably had over 100 yds in the first half, he may not have had a catch in the second half. Hallsville turned the ball over 3 times and Nac scored 10 points off of them. 

If Marshall can run the ball right at them and contain the short passing game they should run away with this one. 

Marshall may & probably will win this game. But Hallsville is a LOT better than people are giving them credit for. I picked MP to upset Marshall and I thought I had nailed it until it turned late.   I have the same feeling here.  Hallsville would be no surprise at all

• Like 1

The last couple weeks Marshall's opponents have come out with excitement and intensity. Whitehouse and Mt P just punched us in the mouth early and often.

Marshall has been struggling to find that "big game" emotion we saw early in season. It even shows up on film in our "tackling". We seem to dominate once something good happens to feed off of. This team still needs to learn how to play 4 full quarters and shake off the negative vibes.  In football, you are always just one big play from swinging momentum. Almost waited too long last week. Won't always be so lucky. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, THSfanatic said:

Marshall may & probably will win this game. But Hallsville is a LOT better than people are giving them credit for. I picked MP to upset Marshall and I thought I had nailed it until it turned late.   I have the same feeling here.  Hallsville would be no surprise at all

If our running back plays I agree, we would have easily scored 40 on Nac

Pulling for my bobcats and coach Strickland and staff. They are very much improved. Played NAC without their starting rb and should have won it, despite all the 3rd qtr troubles. They are headed in the right direction   Love that purple  !!!!!  Keep your heads up Hallsville. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, THSfanatic said:

Hey…. I don’t mind you picking against us.  I think we have a pretty good record when you pick us to lose 😂.  (Minus Longview and THS lmao) 

Jkkkk.

When the offense is clicking… we’re hard to stop.  Olvera has almost 1100 yards passing. JQ David is creeping up on 1000 yards rushing.  Two WRs with 500 yards in Smith and Roberson. 

I think our defense can play with any team in the district.  If we can limit Longview and Texas High in offensive output like we did, that’s encouraging.  Defense is what lead the way to wins over PT, WH, and MP. 

Just depends which offense shows up.  If Davis gets going and the passing game is efficient…. I like our chances.   The defense will make it stick. 

If our offense struggles and turns the ball over…. I still think our defense can win it (see WH and MP games) but it gets more difficult. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Hey…. I don’t mind you picking against us.  I think we have a pretty good record when you pick us to lose 😂.  (Minus Longview and THS lmao) 

Jkkkk.

🙃    Congrats......you came back & pulled out the MP game.   I'm not sure when else I have picked against you except MP & this week.    Picking anybody in the district is a tossup.   I do believe Texas High has the best team but truthfully I'm not overly impressed.  I have not seen a progression of improvement.  I thought we would be more dominant in this district than we are.  IMO we are not as good as our rating indicates.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, THSfanatic said:

🙃    Congrats......you came back & pulled out the MP game.   I'm not sure when else I have picked against you except MP & this week.    Picking anybody in the district is a tossup.   I do believe Texas High has the best team but truthfully I'm not overly impressed.  I have not seen a progression of improvement.  I thought we would be more dominant in this district than we are.  IMO we are not as good as our rating indicates.

If it’s any consolation……I’m not sure 10-5A is as good as some of their records show either.  Some of them had some really suspect/easy non-district schedules.  Most of the games are pretty competitive even between the top and bottom teams. 

If we struggle… or lose to Hallsville….that’s a sign that things are not kosher.  

We beat WH by 14.  Jax by 43. We took a knee inside the 5 on PT to win by 7, but it should have/could have been by 14.  MP was the one win we really truly struggled in.  THS was just a disaster offensively.  I still think the defense was great. To hold a team like THS to 160 yards is a lot to be excited about. 

Everyone is talking about Hallsville’s offense…. Which has been impressive. But their defense has been their downfall.

If the Mavs get going…. Could be a long night for the Bobcats.  If we sputter….. Mavs could be in trouble.  But I have a lot of faith in our defense. 

We shall see what happens. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, THSfanatic said:

Texas High is kind of like Marshall this year. Defense wins the games while the offense is inconsistent. What helps THIGH is having a Qb that can move and make something out of nothing.

When THIGH pressured Marshall, our qb had to either eat the sack or launch into coverage. When Marshall pressured THIGH, the qb usually just scrambled for positive yards.

They know their D is solid, so they take what the opposing D gives them. Marshall pressed while THIGH let their D win it by not making offensive mistakes. 

If THIGH comes up against an explosive offense that has a good oline, they may be in trouble.  I'm not sure the offense can get in a shootout and have a chance. Unless the other team has a horrible D. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, wingtveer said:

Pulling for my bobcats and coach Strickland and staff. They are very much improved. Played NAC without their starting rb and should have won it, despite all the 3rd qtr troubles. They are headed in the right direction   Love that purple  !!!!!  Keep your heads up Hallsville. 

Last comment I will make about the Nac Hallsville game.....We can play this game all day long, if we have our D1 Middle linebacker for the season we are 6-1 right now and you would not have scored the 24 points that you did score. I know it is against the rules to give any team credit for winning a game around here. This is the time of the year where everyone has injuries and loses players to grades. 

20 minutes ago, Nacwagons said:

Last comment I will make about the Nac Hallsville game.....We can play this game all day long, if we have our D1 Middle linebacker for the season we are 6-1 right now and you would not have scored the 24 points that you did score. I know it is against the rules to give any team credit for winning a game around here. This is the time of the year where everyone has injuries and loses players to grades. 

Facts !!!!!!