Hughes Springs

giant

2 minutes ago, Slickarick said:

to much expecting immediate success. with this social media culture of getting instant gratification  with likes and comments. it bleeds into sports which is hard to do especially with the situation he was going into. Not saying he did everything right. Just hard with all the extra added pressure. 

That is most places now.  People are focused on results and do not understand that there is a process to success.  There is no way around it.  It takes what it takes (to quote the title of a book).  You can't shortcut hard work and in today's society we often don't understand that.  You are 100% correct that we expect instant gratification.  From social media, to Amazon, to Door Dash.  Anything can be had in an instant....except for the results that come from hard work.

• Like 3

A. Call Ed back

B. Call someone that worked for Ed.

Go back to the Slot-T. Bring back your identity of being hard working tough kids that will be in and fight every game. Tell everyone that complains about old school coaching and system to move. 

This is the way. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

19 minutes ago, mrclean69 said:

A. Call Ed back

B. Call someone that worked for Ed.

Go back to the Slot-T. Bring back your identity of being hard working tough kids that will be in and fight every game. Tell everyone that complains about old school coaching and system to move. 

This is the way. 

A. Doubt that works…. I DO think he did a good job when he was there. They over achieved most years.

B. More of the same? People wanted the athletic program to move forward a year ago, and come out of 1995. There is still hope of that. Just bc the most recent was a slap, doesn’t mean they all are. Hire better. 

An offense doesn’t make your identity.  The “it has to be slot t” is rediculious. I don’t think spread is the answer necessarily. But any veer, triple option, power run offense (run right) could get it done. Get something the kids have fun with, bought in. 

36 minutes ago, DogEatDog said:

B. More of the same? People wanted the athletic program to move forward a year ago, and come out of 1995. There is still hope of that. Just bc the most recent was a slap, doesn’t mean they all are. Hire better. 

What made him a slap?  Again, I have no dog in the fight.  I am simply asking a question.

16 minutes ago, lynyrdskynyrd said:

What made him a slap?  Again, I have no dog in the fight.  I am simply asking a question.

Several reasons.

He treated the kids with less than respect. I’m not talking about pushing them to do better, outright said things coaches shouldn’t say. My opinion, he didn’t have the best interest of the kids as a priority. Again, opinion. 

He didn’t treat his coaches with respect. The same coaches he brought in, they bought in to him. If you don’t believe that one, go ask one. Any one. 

Last, and most importantly in answering the question at hand… If you have ever met him, he is very….. slappy. 

1 hour ago, DogEatDog said:

A. Doubt that works…. I DO think he did a good job when he was there. They over achieved most years.

An offense doesn’t make your identity.  The “it has to be slot t” is rediculious. I don’t think spread is the answer necessarily. But any veer, triple option, power run offense (run right) could get it done. Get something the kids have fun with, bought in. 

Pretty sure the last guy was flexbone. Didn't work well. Still need athletes. Simply put read offenses take time to get better at. I don't feel like HS has time. They botched it, program is spiraling, kids aren't playing, town is divided. Go through some ugly weeks of learning veer and triple and new guy has another smoaky thread talking about when he'll get fired. 

If "more of the same" is consistent playoff appearances and maxing out talent then I think HS would be on board. You also assume great coaches are beating down the door to go to an 0-10 team, in the middle of nowhere, that got hammered in realignment. Someone with an emotional attachment to HS and the way things were might apply. 

• Like 1

Uh, an offense can make your identity. It doesn't have to be what identifies your program but it certainly can. 

• Like 1

Several reasons.

He treated the kids with less than respect. I’m not talking about pushing them to do better, outright said things coaches shouldn’t say. My opinion, he didn’t have the best interest of the kids as a priority. Again, opinion. 

He didn’t treat his coaches with respect. The same coaches he brought in, they bought in to him. If you don’t believe that one, go ask one. Any one. 

Last, and most importantly in answering the question at hand… If you have ever met him, he is very….. slappy. 

Thanks for the response.  I can't comment on how he currently treats kids or coaches.  I have met him when he was young and he has always been respectful.  He did not impress upon me that he was "slappy", and I've met more than a few "slaps".

2 hours ago, DogEatDog said:

Several reasons.

Why was he hired in the first place? Did they not do their homework before choosing him? Let’s hope the Administration does a better job on the next hire. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, mrclean69 said:

Pretty sure the last guy was flexbone. Didn't work well. Still need athletes. Simply put read offenses take time to get better at. I don't feel like HS has time. They botched it, program is spiraling, kids aren't playing, town is divided. Go through some ugly weeks of learning veer and triple and new guy has another smoaky thread talking about when he'll get fired. 

If "more of the same" is consistent playoff appearances and maxing out talent then I think HS would be on board. You also assume great coaches are beating down the door to go to an 0-10 team, in the middle of nowhere, that got hammered in realignment. Someone with an emotional attachment to HS and the way things were might apply. 

I have no problem with the slot t. My point was it’s not the only way. All offenses take time to install and “get better at” as far as timing and execution. You said one thing we can agree on, beginning to end…. They botched it. 😂 

Hard work, discipline, mental and physical toughness, selflessness and doing the little things right are more important than any offense or defense you run.  Whoever does those things whatever they choose to run will work.

• Like 3

On 4/13/2024 at 9:41 AM, BuckNut said:

Hard work, discipline, mental and physical toughness, selflessness and doing the little things right are more important than any offense or defense you run.  Whoever does those things whatever they choose to run will work.

You mean CULTURE matters?

What a novel concept...... /s

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, thefirsttimer said:

Any word on who might be desperate and apply for this 

I just hope it's someone who likes red and is used to winning.

Edited by HS1988

On 4/15/2024 at 7:44 AM, playactionpass39 said:

You mean CULTURE matters?

What a novel concept...... /s

Which is exactly why places like this are being talked about...

Hughes Springs, Linden Kildare, Clarksville, New Boston...all of these places seem to have let the culture of things right out the door and now here we are.  And A LOT of it has to do with what has been allowed, not only by the school/coaches but by the parents..it's crazy what parents think is ok now days and what is appalling and forbidden.  There is no such thing anymore as hard nosed coaching.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, WyattEarp said:

Which is exactly why places like this are being talked about...

Hughes Springs, Linden Kildare, Clarksville, New Boston...all of these places seem to have let the culture of things right out the door and now here we are.  And A LOT of it has to do with what has been allowed, not only by the school/coaches but by the parents..it's crazy what parents think is ok now days and what is appalling and forbidden.  There is no such thing anymore as hard nosed coaching.

Discipline is by far the most difficult part of any CULTURE to cultivate in today's society.

Parents, for the most part,  do NOT instill it at home, therefore it is almost impossible to instill in school and especially in athletics.

Accountability and commitment run a close second to discipline is the race for the holy grail of characteristics needed to be successful that parents fight tooth and nail.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, 2017Patriot said:

Heard last night Hughes Springs has found their new AD. Here's hoping he can pull the athletic program back together. Probably the first time in 20 years they didn't make the playoffs in baseball. 

I heard the same. Actually heard they have had their guy for a while. All the rest was just smoke and mirrors. He’s got an uphill battle. He will need support from the community. 

• Like 1