🔴 Oklahoma Sooners 2023 ⚪

Valhalla

1 hour ago, Coach Rab said:

OU looks dead.  

Lackadaisical focus and execution. A post-RRS hangover is no excuse. On this level of football, you know you're getting everyone's best effort. UCF did everything they needed to steal one from us, and they almost did it. 

1.) Special Teams: we have no kicker. I want open tryouts first thing Monday morning. Consistently hitting a 43yd and 38yd field goal is not an unrealistic expectation for a kicker in an elite D-1 program. Those six points were literally the difference in winning and losing. Zach Schmit did not deliver. He's fired. 

2.) Focus and composure: OU came in expecting an easy win. UCF came in expecting a dogfight. Only one of us was right. UCF played with aggression and intensity. OU came out hot, delivered a couple quick haymakers, and expected the opponent to cower. They didn't. Kanak gave UCF an easy TD by showing his ass after we held them three-and-out on the goal line. That's a four point gift we gave them. 

3.) Offensive Line: It's still a problem. We eventually out-talented and out-conditioned them late in the game, but the fact remains they were pressuring Gabriel with 3- and 4-man rushes for 3 quarters of play. That's unacceptable. It almost cost us here, and will almost certainly cost us week-in and week-out. 

4.) The Big Picture: We lose this game last year, and the year before. Simple as that. We've come a long way in one season. No, it's not where it needs to be. But the structure is there. The culture is there. Outside of 3-4 chunk plays caused by blown assignments and wrong reads/reactions, this is a dominant 20+ point win. Instead, it's a nailbiter...  but it's still a dub. We still came out on top. 

Yeah, we were exposed. But unlike previous years, I think we have the culture that's going to do what it takes to shore up the vulnerabilities, and put us in position to take it to the next level next year. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

Lackadaisical focus and execution. A post-RRS hangover is no excuse. On this level of football, you know you're getting everyone's best effort. UCF did everything they needed to steal one from us, and they almost did it. 

1.) Special Teams: we have no kicker. I want open tryouts first thing Monday morning. Consistently hitting a 43yd and 38yd field goal is not an unrealistic expectation for a kicker in an elite D-1 program. Those six points were literally the difference in winning and losing. Zach Schmit did not deliver. He's fired. 

2.) Focus and composure: OU came in expecting an easy win. UCF came in expecting a dogfight. Only one of us was right. UCF played with aggression and intensity. OU came out hot, delivered a couple quick haymakers, and expected the opponent to cower. They didn't. Kanak gave UCF an easy TD by showing his ass after we held them three-and-out on the goal line. That's a four point gift we gave them. 

3.) Offensive Line: It's still a problem. We eventually out-talented and out-conditioned them late in the game, but the fact remains they were pressuring Gabriel with 3- and 4-man rushes for 3 quarters of play. That's unacceptable. It almost cost us here, and will almost certainly cost us week-in and week-out. 

4.) The Big Picture: We lose this game last year, and the year before. Simple as that. We've come a long way in one season. No, it's not where it needs to be. But the structure is there. The culture is there. Outside of 3-4 chunk plays caused by blown assignments and wrong reads/reactions, this is a dominant 20+ point win. Instead, it's a nailbiter...  but it's still a dub. We still came out on top. 

Yeah, we were exposed. But unlike previous years, I think we have the culture that's going to do what it takes to shore up the vulnerabilities, and put us in position to take it to the next level next year. 

4 hours ago, Coach Rab said:

#6 Oklahoma at Kansas  11:00 AM  FOX

Okay this time I mean it: Kansas will upset OU.

Our patchwork o-line will not be able to win at the line of scrimmage and get the run game going. Gabriel will have to win it for us. I think he gives up at least two picks. 

Defensively our young linebackers will get exposed by the triple-option and overpursue on the sprint draw rollouts. Kansas QB will gain around 400yds of total offense.

18 hours ago, Mr. P said:

Our patchwork o-line will not be able to win at the line of scrimmage and get the run game going. Gabriel will have to win it for us. I think he gives up at least two picks. 

Defensively our young linebackers will get exposed by the triple-option and overpursue on the sprint draw rollouts. Kansas QB will gain around 400yds of total offense.

I heard on one of the college sports talk shows that OU has had a lot of issues keeping the left side of the line healthy this entire season.

• Like 1

I see a lot of Kansas picks in the pick em', any reason?  Does everyone think OU is due for a let down?  I know it's a road game.  Is Daniels back at QB?  Bean ain't bad, but KU's defense isn't very good.

Edited by Red90fly
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Red90fly said:

I see a lot of Kansas picks in the pick em', any reason?  Does everyone think OU is due for a let down?  I know it's a road game.  Is Daniels back at QB?  Bean ain't bad, but KU's defense isn't very good.

OU has a lot of holes due to injury.  They are winning on pure will at this point.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Red90fly said:

For starters:

20 hours ago, Mr. P said:

And this: 

1 hour ago, Coach Rab said:

OU has had a lot of issues keeping the left side of the line healthy this entire season.

If 2022 was a season where nothing could go right, 2023 is shaping up to be a season where nothing goes wrong.

Just like my inexplicable 6-1 start in the Smoaky Fantasy Football League, OU has been far more lucky than good.  

That said, I think our luck runs out.

It's gonna be cold and windy in Kansas. Gabriel already floats his deep balls. Look for 2-3 of 'em to get caught in the wind and lead to picks. He'll compensate by trying to run more, which may end up to an injury because Kansas loves a good cheap shot. In addition, our run game is so sketchy that we're lining up wideouts in the backfield. 

Defensively we're very talented, but also very young and inexperienced, and still learning a complicated system. We're fast and aggressive, which is a disadvantage when facing an offense predicated on deception, misdirection, and the triple-option. Kansas will bust at least a 2-3 big plays. 

Kansas beats OU in a "shocking" upset. Shocking to everyone except folks who've watched the film. 

On 10/25/2023 at 3:08 PM, Mr. P said:

👀

• Like 1

On 10/25/2023 at 3:08 PM, Mr. P said:

Good call.

• Mr. P locked this topic