Harmony is open

MattStepp

3 hours ago, mrclean69 said:

Most successful coach in school history by both wins AND the character/ relationship building Ghost was talking about. There are few people that are more respected in the coaching profession than Russel. Considered a high character guy. Had almost every kid in high school athletics, was considered a great boss and had low turnover. Everyone knows he got forced out because of some selfish parents. Hey they got what they wanted Jenkins did well with that group and now they are gone and so is he.

I will never blame a coach for doing what he thinks is best for his family and career. High school coaches are always considered outsiders, and parents will always put their kids over a coach's family, or other kids in the program. Jenkins has gone 1 year, 2 years, 2 years at schools, but has gotten to leave on his own accord and done well at all. Russel invested 15 years at Harmony, called a place home and got mobbed out anyway.  

Yep, and unfortunately that is what our profession has come to. High character, loyalty and doing what is right by kids has gone by the wayside and the win at all cost mentality has taken over. 

3 hours ago, mrclean69 said:

Most successful coach in school history by both wins AND the character/ relationship building Ghost was talking about. There are few people that are more respected in the coaching profession than Russel. Considered a high character guy. Had almost every kid in high school athletics, was considered a great boss and had low turnover. Everyone knows he got forced out because of some selfish parents. Hey they got what they wanted Jenkins did well with that group and now they are gone and so is he.

I will never blame a coach for doing what he thinks is best for his family and career. High school coaches are always considered outsiders, and parents will always put their kids over a coach's family, or other kids in the program. Jenkins has gone 1 year, 2 years, 2 years at schools, but has gotten to leave on his own accord and done well at all. Russel invested 15 years at Harmony, called a place home and got mobbed out anyway.  

You seem to forget that Russel left Harmony for a bigger payday at Pine Tree. Great guy and he still has plenty of supporters at Harmony but tell the whole story. 

11 minutes ago, JustAFan11 said:

You seem to forget that Russel left Harmony for a bigger payday at Pine Tree. Great guy and he still has plenty of supporters at Harmony but tell the whole story. 

Yea man I don't see how that's relevant to anything I said. I said coaches should leave and chase paydays. Russel thought he made a mistake chasing the money, I don't think he did. He returned to Harmony and coached for 12 years and got mobbed out. Since 2004 there have been 8 years Russel hasn't coached Harmony. They went through 4 coaches in those 8 years. But yea that one time 20 years ago Russel chased a big school and big money adds so much needed depth to the "whole story". 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrclean69 said:

Yea man I don't see how that's relevant to anything I said. I said coaches should leave and chase paydays. Russel thought he made a mistake chasing the money, I don't think he did. He returned to Harmony and coached for 12 years and got mobbed out. Since 2004 there have been 8 years Russel hasn't coached Harmony. They went through 4 coaches in those 8 years. But yea that one time 20 years ago Russel chased a big school and big money adds so much needed depth to the "whole story". 

My point is, Russel left Harmony and they gave him a second stint and he did well. He consistently had Harmony in the playoffs. Some parents and administrators thought they had the talent to do more and they were correct.

We don’t have to beat this horse to death every time Harmony is in the news. 

• Thumbs Down 1

On 2/28/2024 at 8:56 AM, BEASTeastTX said:

Regardless of what you think of coach prime he hit the mail on the head when he said in this profession you either move on while you can or stay long enough to get replaced. Something like that….. can’t fault the guy for reading the handwriting on the wall and getting out of a situation on his own terms.

I’ve always heard there are 2 kinds of coaches . . . Those that have been fired and those that will be fired. 

• Like 1

On 2/29/2024 at 4:14 PM, JustAFan11 said:

My point is, Russel left Harmony and they gave him a second stint and he did well. He consistently had Harmony in the playoffs. Some parents and administrators thought they had the talent to do more and they were correct.

We don’t have to beat this horse to death every time Harmony is in the news. 

Harmony didn’t GIVE him a 2nd stint. They begged him to come back after the Harmony AD had gotten fired for a DWI. Thankfully, Jeff Traylor let him out of his Contract at Gilmer and Coach Russell came back. No one knows what Coach Russell would have done with the talent over the last 2 years. He didn’t get the chance. Most knew Jenkins would jump at the first chance to get out of Harmony once his kid graduated. Now, unfortunately Harmony will be back to the revolving door job it was before Russell….

I heard it was a done deal. They also didn’t post it anywhere but the district website, but they did post an assistant coaching position on THSCA.  Even more signs they have their guy on staff. 

6 hours ago, Tatum_DirtyBird said:

I feel ya. Sometimes I have a Brain Mauk and can’t remember what I was going to say either. 

I believe he meant Brian Mauk. I don’t know much about Brian as a coach but can tell you that having grown up around him that he is a stand up God fearing man. If his Xs and Os match his character then Harmony is in good hands. 

• Like 3

On 3/5/2024 at 8:19 PM, GWBears01 said:

I believe he meant Brian Mauk. I don’t know much about Brian as a coach but can tell you that having grown up around him that he is a stand up God fearing man. If his Xs and Os match his character then Harmony is in good hands. 

No doubt. Coach Mauk is a fine Man. He will be a great leader and role model for the Harmony student athletes!