Official 2018-2019 East Texas 5A Sports Thread

cujoforlife

15 minutes ago, playactionpass39 said:

the Mavericks are too well coached on both sides of the ball.

I agree with the rest of your comment outside of this.

Mathis is not what he claims to be IMO.

But that's a different story. Marshall should still be more than solid enough to win their district.

25 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

But that's a different story. Marshall should still be more than solid enough to win their district.

I have not followed Marshall that closely since Mathis arrived.  I will say I was a little disappointed in his post game interview with one of the TV stations last Fri after the loss to Carthage.  His comments went something like “this game came down to who made fewer mistakes and we made too many and we couldn’t get a call tonight”.  Really?  No reason to insinuate the refs had anything to do with the loss.  If anything there were about 25 “no calls” that should have been holding on the Mavs O-line.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LoboFan07 said:

Mathis does not coach. He is the organizational guy and head cheer leader.

However, he has assembled a great coaching STAFF that can flat out coach.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, playactionpass39 said:

That's pretty accurate.

I still think something is just off at Marshall. But that's just an outsider looking in.

5 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

MP likely (3-0) after Friday.

Hallsville (3-0) headed into the bye.

Are the Bobcats and Tigers going to make some noise in 9-5A?  Both were overlooked in most of the preseason predictions as far as playoffs in lieu of Whitehouse, Nac, Marshall, and PT..

Everyone might better be wary of them.

Question is........are they both greatly improved or a product of their schedule?

Either way.....might not be wise to look past them.

I thought this at the beginning of the year. I just didnt say anything because i knew the offense would put up some points but i didnt know the defense would do what they did against North Lamar. But granted that is North Lamar. But they have only given up 21 points in the last 6 qtrs. 7 of which were special teams.

3 hours ago, playactionpass39 said:

I’m also an outsider, but i think it’s disrespectful to say the man doesn’t coach. He wouldn’t have accomplished what he has so far in the places he has been, if he didn’t do some type of “coaching”. Calling him a cheerleader is laughable and also disrespectful. The family members that i know, which attended and played for desoto under him, told me what type of coach that he is. I don’t always agree with some of the things he does, including off the field stuff, but to say he doesn’t coach...foolish. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Pack007 said:

I’m also an outsider, but i think it’s disrespectful to say the man doesn’t coach. He wouldn’t have accomplished what he has so far in the places he has been, if he didn’t do some type of “coaching”. Calling him a cheerleader is laughable and also disrespectful. The family members that i know, which attended and played for desoto under him, told me what type of coach that he is. I don’t always agree with some of the things he does, including off the field stuff, but to say he doesn’t coach...foolish. 

I probably should have said, does not HAVE to coach. I'm sure he is involved in game planning, have time adjustments, and obviously is the motivational leader, but  he doesn't have to a whole lot of "coaching." I meant no disrespect to the man at all.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, playactionpass39 said:

I probably should have said, does not HAVE to coach. I'm sure he is involved in game planning, have time adjustments, and obviously is the motivational leader, but  he doesn't have to a whole lot of "coaching." I meant no disrespect to the man at all.

Gotcha 

52 minutes ago, playactionpass39 said:

Being the head coach, you coach the coaches. Being a great leader means you don't have to be in control of everything all the time. Build relationship, share knowledge and provide guidance when needed. The reason Mack Brown was so successful for so long at Texas wasn't because he was a great X's and O's coach. He was great with his assistants, recruits and their parents. His lean years came at the end when his assistants all went out and worked as HC's other places.

Good HC's manage the games, give ideas and allow their assistants to run the game plans and play calling.

7 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

I still think something is just off at Marshall. But that's just an outsider looking in.

I have to agree.  Too many people that were ready to help Mathis drive his way out of town sing his praises now.   

Not a shot at Marshall.  I'm well known as a local who was not happy with my own team's direction the last 5-6 years and those were years we were throwing up good regular season success

• Like 1

Oh......there are plenty that would help him pack  if he was leaving tomorrow  

And I've had my own displeasure with him... and I’ve been vocal at times over it here on SDC. 

But the kids believe in him.  The administration supports him. The boosters are doing big things and we are probably headed to our third district title in four seasons. 

All that adds up to me supporting this program.... which includes him.  I won’t make it personal. 

We have a fantastic staff. The kids are getting tons of atttention from recruiters and are receiving offers to continue their educations at the next level... we are playing a killer schedule..... we are progressing. 

4 years ago.... Carthage would have run us out of the stadium.  Tyler Lee would have too.... even as much as they have struggled.  

Just gotta swallow my pride and my personal thoughts and say Go Mavs go!

The program deserves it  

jmho. 

• Like 2

Mav 8th grade red team improved to 2-0 on the season with a 20-6 win over Longview Judson.  Won last week Vs Carthage. 

No word on the white team. 

Good to see MJHS do well.  

9th grade red is 1-2.  Not sure about white. 

JV is 0-3. 

Mav 8th grade red team improved to 2-0 on the season Tuesday night with a 20-6 win over Longview Judson.  Won last week Vs Carthage. 

White team tied Judson 22-22.  They are 0-1-1. 

9th grade red is 1-2.  Not sure about white. 

JV is 0-3. 

With district starting up next for everyone but Mt. Pleasant, how does everyone see this district shaking out? Biggests surprises so far? 

1.Marshall

2. Whitehouse 

3. Nac

4. Hallsville 

5. Pine Tree 

6. Mt. Pleasant 

7. Jacksonville 

8. Lindale

Dont think there's a ton of seperation between 5-8. I think there will be 2 big games short of some upsets. Nac vs Hallsville for 3rd seed and Marshall vs Whitehouse for district championship. 

2 hours ago, mav01 said:

With district starting up next for everyone but Mt. Pleasant, how does everyone see this district shaking out? Biggests surprises so far? 

1.Marshall

2. Whitehouse 

3. Nac

4. Hallsville 

5. Pine Tree 

6. Mt. Pleasant 

7. Jacksonville 

8. Lindale

Dont think there's a ton of seperation between 5-8. I think there will be 2 big games short of some upsets. Nac vs Hallsville for 3rd seed and Marshall vs Whitehouse for district championship. 

1.Marshall-Is the front runner by large margin. lost to 2 very good teams in ND

2-8 Could be a mess and come down to H2H and Point tiebreakers, all of these teams have more questions than answers at this point-as of right now how I have it.

2.Nacogdoches-Tough non district schedule and a young team improving weekly-if they can slow down the run, can they put pressure on Marshall and separate from the pack or fade into the pack??

3.Whitehouse-Not sure about this one-Lost to the only good team they have played-played nothing but 4a schools in ND. 

4.Pine Tree-Can score with anyone but can they stop anyone??

5.Jacksonville-Close win vs Palestine-blow out loss to Carthage-close loss to Henderson-will the lack of home games effect this team. 

6.Lindale-Not sure on this one either-typically a very good defense and a low scoring offense.

7.Hallsville-beat 2 horrible teams in ND-suprise win at Kilgore-product of the schedule or contender??

8.Mt Pleasant-Scored a lot of points with a very weak ND schedule-can they continue when district starts??

This is just my opinion and means absolutely nothing, having Nac at 2 is a homer pick completely based on the potential I see after 2 games.

Everything is so hard to calibrate right now.  We need a district game or two.

Is Hallsville and Mount Pleasant as good as they appear on paper.... or did a softer schedule help them puff up some offensive numbers that are a little mind boggling?

Pine Tree's loss to Pittsburgh just blows me away....otherwise I'd be saying the same thing about them that I said about Hallsville and MP..... but that single loss is just ugly.

Is Jacksonville better than they have shown?  The epic beatdown by Carthage is hard to overlook.  The win over Palestine is meh.

Nac's win over Kilgore was interesting....until Kilgore went 0-3....and likely 0-4.... so it lost some luster.  The Loss to Lufkin was expected..... but the Lee loss was a surprise.

Marshall's double digit win over Lee was meh.... but then Lee beat Nac by 10.  The Longview loss was eeepppic.  But then they went to the wire with a #1  Carthage team that throttled Jax.  Hard to gauge where they are IMHO. 

Whitehouse throttled Henderson.... beat Chapel Hill..... not sure what to make of those games....but played a very good Melissa team to the wire.

Lindale is a tough read too.  But history says they are always a tough win.  So can't/won't overlook them.

Should be a fun race.  I think we will have a good idea of things after 2 weeks of district play.  

The race to make the playoffs should be  very entertaining.

It’s also hard to judge teams by how they played other teams. History has shown that sometimes just because things went a certain way in one game doesn’t mean they will go that way in other games. Lindale for instance I have seen get beat by sub par teams and in the same year beat really good teams. Just depends on the game

42 minutes ago, Jakeelee86 said:

It’s also hard to judge teams by how they played other teams. History has shown that sometimes just because things went a certain way in one game doesn’t mean they will go that way in other games. Lindale for instance I have seen get beat by sub par teams and in the same year beat really good teams. Just depends on the game

A lot has to do with match ups as well. Different styles of play, different schemes etc. 

And as Mavchamp said, these are still high schoolers.

MP laid an egg vs Paris. 

This district is a big question mark from top to bottom  

Esp after seeing Kilgore rock Texas High.... knowing PT, Nac, and Hallsville beat the Bulldogs.  And how MP squatted Vs Paris. 

Some aren’t as good as we thought and others may be better than believed. 

Should be a fun race!