Marshall Promotes OC Jake Griedl to AD/Head Football Coach...

Smoaky

To answer your question point blank.... which of the two do I think would likely stay long term? 

The DC. 

No question.  

This would likely be a stepping stone for the OC as he is young and probably has aspirations for a 6A gig. 

DC has been there and done that.  And yes.... he honestly seems invested in the community. 

Both are outstanding men. Outstanding coaches.  Can’t lose either way. 

But yes.... DC would likely be for the long haul.  

Keep hearing a name out of Houston too. Another intriguing name. 

Exciting times. 

11 minutes ago, foxsportseasttexas said:

If they stay internal it will more than likely be the DC.  Not only because of his age and pedigree , but I hear he has experience on the offensive side as well.  Futhermore , they say he is active in the community , which is huge....

His family still lives in San Antonio. It’s been two years..

2 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

To answer your question point blank.... which of the two do I think would likely stay long term? 

The DC. 

No question.  

This would likely be a stepping stone for the OC as he is young and probably has aspirations for a 6A gig. 

DC has been there and done that.  And yes.... he honestly seems invested in the community. 

Both are outstanding men. Outstanding coaches.  Can’t lose either way. 

But yes.... DC would likely be for the long haul.  

Keep hearing a name out of Houston too. Another intriguing name. 

Exciting times. 

I’d think it’s easy to be active when you have no family to go home to. His family still lives in San Antonio. That has been a knock on this whole coaching staff, starting at the top with Mathis. Mathis, Poth, LB coach/asst Ad, OL Coach all came in with Mathis. None of them brought their families to Marshall. It’s been two years... what does that tell the community? 

32 minutes ago, rocketpop said:

Like I said before, the D was outstanding most games this year. But as a Mav follower I don’t quite understand your logic. Carthage and Huntsville played a combined 39 games this year in which they were combined 36-3. 

In 39 games their opponents scored more than 30 points only 5 times... 2 of those were Marshall’s Offense. You saw the two best teams (outside Longview) the Mavs played this year... and they scored 30+ points on both.... and the D gave up 30+ in both... just saying. Not sure +30 is “impressive”. Now, those were two great teams... but not sure your example is a positive for one coordinator over the other. 

Anyone else tired of speculation? Maybe it’s just because we’ve been through this 2 times in recent memory. 

IMO the defense had really improved from the Carthage to the Huntsville game. My point was that I was impressed with how much they had improved from beginning to end of the season. 

Forgot about the point totals. Marshall holding Huntsville to 35 with 5 turnovers (or whatever it was) and a score that actually wasn’t, was an outstanding performance. I walked away from that game much more impressed with the D than the O.

Huntsville had 274 total yards and 13 rushing yards. Carthage on the other hand pretty much torched the D until they got a lead and got conservative. Marshall D was the reason they should’ve won that Huntsville game. 

Either way I am rooting for Marshall. Not sure who the best coach for the job is. I just want them to get it right, and get somebody that will stay. Sounds like either Coordinator is up to the task. 

6 hours ago, Slimbodine said:

How ironic that here you are talking smack about what Coach Norton accomplished at THS.  You could not sleep until he left.  Now you have this total ignorant dumb*** as head coach and he runs the entire program down in 2 years.  So enjoy lots of 2-8 and 3-7 seasons down the road.  THS is now the fourth best program in Texarkana.  PG owns the town.  

PG dont own Texarkana!  Just one of four teams right now but they are pretty good. Two good years dont mean you own anyone. Just glad you are in D2 not D1

24 minutes ago, Hogman2018 said:

PG dont own Texarkana!  Just one of four teams right now but they are pretty good. Two good years dont mean you own anyone. Just glad you are in D2 not D1

Now for now PG does run town look at what PG coach did in just 4 years back to back State Title Appearances and won it all in 17 plus basically have his whole team coming back next year they will only be deeper and better 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, rocketpop said:

I’d think it’s easy to be active when you have no family to go home to. His family still lives in San Antonio. That has been a knock on this whole coaching staff, starting at the top with Mathis. Mathis, Poth, LB coach/asst Ad, OL Coach all came in with Mathis. None of them brought their families to Marshall. It’s been two years... what does that tell the community? 

That is really weird.  Same thing happened at Lee when they hired coach george. 

The offense and defense both greatly improved as the season went on. Scoring 34 points on one of the best defenses in the state(even with excessive turnovers). Thats what you should expect from a great staff thats just in their second season together. I think if we can keep most of the staff in tact,  we should see the same type of improvement throughout this third season. Either way,  we will have the Joe's to go along with the x's & o's. 

• Like 1

If we get the state champ coach. We will be fine. 

If we get the OC. We will be fine. 

If we get the DC. We will be fine. 

If we get the Houston..... or the East Texas or the guy from Pluto... we will be fine. 

This isn’t the same situation it was in 2012 when we were at a program low having nearly been driven into the ground in just 2 years  

We aren’t rebuilding.  We are looking to take the next step. 

Big difference. 

Allows an entirely different applicant pool.

Good place to be.  

• Like 2

On 1/16/2019 at 10:44 PM, TheFootballFan said:

He would leave Carthage .... for a big time college job. Why in the world would you not??????? Carthage is nice small high school job but come on!!!! To me if he’s a real competitor he wants to see if he can do more rather than beating an average teams like Henderson every year in playoffs! He either does it soon I believe or he will Be stuck where he is. If so, and thAts whT he wants fine but I believe he would always WONDER what could have been!

Define “big time college job”...

2 hours ago, Hogman2018 said:

You’re a full if you don’t think PG owns Texarkana. 

8 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

I realize we can never skirt the greatness of your Lobos.... but we were one point from being in the quarter finals. 

Most people consider that a run. Even if it falls short. 

It is not about the Lobos and of course you would bring them into the conversation. I was just commenting on professional decisions made by coaches and if they stayed for a run... would it make them more sought after... maybe or maybe not.... I would not think it would be something they consider as a top priority.... 

5 minutes ago, jbabi86 said:

It is not about the Lobos and of course you would bring them into the conversation. I was just commenting on professional decisions made by coaches and if they stayed for a run... would it make them more sought after... maybe or maybe not.... I would not think it would be something they consider as a top priority.... 

You took a shot because I said we could make a run in 2019. 

Always going to get a backhanded comment in. 

As for the Lobos... I’ve been thrilled for them for a long long time.  Otherwise I wouldn’t travel all over creation to cheer them on when I have the chance.  

Others decide to take pop shots whenever they get a chance. 

Is what it is.  Always been that way for some. 

56 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

You took a shot because I said we could make a run in 2019.

5a DII is a perfect fit for Marshall. I’m not saying the Mavs are supposed to win a title every year but playoff runs on an annual basis should definitely be the expectation. No reason the Mavs shouldn’t be playing ball after Thanksgiving almost every season in the new 5a set up. I think the Mavs are in a great position. Don’t worry about the people taking pop shots, lol.

I agree. 5A Div II is exactly where we need to be.  Almost all of our playoff losses for the last forever has been to schools that are now 6A or in 5A Div I. 

And I never said Marshall was going to win a title this year or any other year.  I just said make a run in 2019.  

Most people consider 3-4 rounds deep a run.

Some people never pipe in unless it’s to say something negative.

46 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

Most people consider 3-4 rounds deep a run.

Exactly. In 5a DII Region III you would have to consider the Mavs a top 5 program. Manvel, A&M Cons., FB Marshall, Huntsville, and Marshall in any order. Throw in the SE Texas teams PNG, Crosby, and Nederland. But there is not a team on that list that Marshall shouldn’t be able to compete with on a yearly basis. Unless Manvel has another team like they did in 2017, lol.

ETX is better when Marshall is good. I’m an ETX fan, and we got some traction going in the higher classes. Longview won a title in 6a after years of barely missing out. I think after getting over the hump, more are on the way. John Tyler and Lufkin are doing their thing in 5a D1. Marshall can hold it down in DII. And we always have small schools that will be playing deep every year. 

Anyway I’ll let you guys get back to the topic. Really hope Marshall gets their guy, whoever that may be.

• Like 1

First of all, I don't think anybody can hold it against Coach Mathis for going back to DeSoto....coaching is a profession, and the great majority of us would do the same if we thought it was a good decision professionally and for our family.

Undoubtedly Coach Mathis coming to Marshall when he did was a coup for the Mavs....he brought instant credibility (admittedly more in some corners than others), is a great motivator, and put together one of the best staffs in the state, which is a good thing, because IMO he's a questionable game manager and x's & o's coach. Even those looking thru the reddest colored glasses knew deep in their hearts that he wouldn't be hanging around Marshall long, and would get back to that insane asylum in DeSoto as soon as the dust cleared.

The drama that went with the hire is another thing altogether....that being said, the fact that the Mavs are back on the map (with some credit also to Clint Harper, but that is another story) probably make it worth putting up with the drama.

Because of the way things have gone the past couple of years, we now have coaches who are established, proven winners interested in coming to Marshall. Dr. Gipson also deserves some credit for getting MHS to this point.

At the moment we also have two excellent coordinators worth consideration, both very good coaches, and even more importantly very good men....it does bother me a bit that Coach Poth (DC) hasn't moved his family to Marshall, thereby making a total commitment to the town, but some of that may also be due to the lack of commitment from Coach Mathis. Coach Griedl (OC) is one of the best young coaches around, and has started to build a great pedigree, at LT and now Marshall.....also a terrific motivator, and is developing into an excellent x's & o's coach.

And that's not even mentioning other excellent coaches on the staff, like Coach Randall.

I don't think there's any doubt with the talent base we have, 5A DII is perfect for the Mavs to compete year in year out, but I think we need to accept the fact, that although MHS has a history of being in the upper echelon of programs, we're just the right size, i.e. a big small school, up and coming young coaches see this as a place to put notches on their guns on their way to bigger, flashier programs (Dennis Parker, Rodney Southern). Much like the University of Houston. And that's just a fact of life, and in no way can they be blamed for it.

No doubt the best possible scenario to keep as much of the current staff as possible on board, but the $64K question is, do we keep continuity, elevating promising, young coaches, who will most likely spend only a few years at best here before moving on to what is seen as loftier positions elsewhere, promote proven, older coaches, or bring in coaches that are proven winners elsewhere, with the hope that they'll stay long term while continuing the programs success?

Dr. Gipson.....you're up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, dhoop02 said:

Now for now PG does run town look at what PG coach did in just 4 years back to back State Title Appearances and won it all in 17 plus basically have his whole team coming back next year they will only be deeper and better 

Go Hawks!  Go Texarkana football!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

You took a shot because I said we could make a run in 2019

Always going to get a backhanded comment in. 

As for the Lobos... I’ve been thrilled for them for a long long time.  Otherwise I wouldn’t travel all over creation to cheer them on when I have the chance.  

Others decide to take pop shots whenever they get a chance. 

Is what it is.  Always been that way for some. 

No shot intended. It is extremely difficult to win a state championship and I was commenting as such. Us Lobo fans understand this more than anyone. 

You wear your feelings on your sleeve or should I say your keyboard. Is this because in public or on this forum you say you pull for the Lobos but feel or act otherwise. Which I know has happen.

I have always pulled for Marshall as I have good friends that have been avid fans their entire lives, one of them played on the state championship team. I hope the Mavs find the coach they are looking for and that it will be the best for the students of MISD. As in most cases, the adults sometimes forget it is about the students!

23 minutes ago, jbabi86 said:

Is this because in public or on this forum you say you pull for the Lobos but feel or act otherwise. Which I know has happen.

You truly think that for over two decades....I would go through the trouble of traveling to Waco, Irving, Mesquite, Bedford, Shreveport, Dallas, Arlington, Lufkin, Tyler, Nacogdoches, Houston to cheer AGAINST the Lobos?  

In the rain.  The cold.  The heat.  

I could cheer against them at home and be 1000Xs more comfortable.  

🙄🙄🙄🙄

• Mr. P changed the title to UPDATE: Claude Mathis back to DeSoto, Marshall hires OC Jake Griedl
  • Smoaky unpinned this topic