Mount Pleasant @ Sulphur Springs

budmanmpfan

Mount Pleasant @ Sulphur Springs  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins

• Mount Pleasant
    • Sulphur Springs

This poll is closed to new votes

Battle of I-30 rivals and former longtime district mates going back to the 80s. These 2 teams have played many close and hard fought games. I expect this one to be no different. 

They both come in 1-0. SS  beat a lackluster Jacksonville team while MP withstood a possible Pittsburg comeback. 

MP caused 6 turnovers and had 2 themselves. What kept Pittsburg in the game was an injury to the qb of MP and penalties. The coaches will be working on that this week for sure.

Who wins in this installment of this rivalry?

The atmosphere at SS is very positive and the team is motivated. (Not used to winning a game) MP is a better team at this point in the year but it means little in this old rivalry.  SS has a chance to gain a lot of respect this week with a win over MP. 

Just watched to Jax/SS game on youtube. It looked as though SS starting qb got injured as well but came back to finish the game. His injury looked like his back.

It also looked as though SS had trouble with Jax's offense and defense. They moved the ball some but it was mostly on the ground. Jax was able to move the ball well but then stuttered to a stop. So the SS defense really gets strong closer to the goal line. They really had trouble stopping the pass. Jax only td came from a 48 bomb. 

This is really shaping up to be a real good contest on paper.

P.S. MP's qb did have a concussion. He is expected to start in the game on Friday which will push the game in MP's favor.

First road game for MP. So, will be interesting to see if the new staff can focus them on the road. Routine means a lot and they don't have one yet. I'll say that I think the coaches will do a good job preparing them. If MP comes out flat, 20-14 MP. If MP comes out with energy and focus, 34-6 MP.

Prob will fall somewhere between the two. Either way, I'll take MP.

• Like 1

Should be a good game. I'm excited to see the stadium/field improvements that were done a year or two ago. With both teams getting adjusted to new coaching staffs and systems I expect both will have some kinks worked out after game 1 wins. It is never easy to roll into SS and get a win. 

• Like 3

I don't think that's right.

Protocol used to be a 5 day process, unless it has changed.  So, I think it would depend on how he was Saturday. Could be wrong. Someone update me please.

I'd bet Hampton is getting a ton of reps this week in case. We shall see.

34 minutes ago, Gipper said:

I wouldn’t sleep on SS they are a much improved team. 

Not at all. IF we don't come to play, we will be in trouble. Previous records can hurt the opponent if they take them lightly for sure.

55 minutes ago, Gipper said:

I wouldn’t sleep on SS they are a much improved team. 

I would be surprised if SS loses this one.  I don't think people on the outside understand the whole story here.  Last year was a train wreck.  We had one of the toughest schedules in the state.  Through 7 games our first 7 opponents had a combined record of 45-4.  Our kids were so beat down from playing teams like Frisco, Lovejoy, Ennis, etc that they were done halfway through the season.  Combine that with a coaching staff that had one foot out the door and it made for a pretty toxic environment.  The talent wasn't there to be a playoff team, but shouldn't have been 0-10.

Things are totally different now.  The new coaching staff is top notch and has brought a lot of energy.  They will have the kids ready to play.  There is a confidence here that hasn't been here in a while.  An infusion of young talent has helped too.  We had a Freshmen WR score the last TD against Jax to put the game away.  The talent level on varsity probably isn't there yet to make a deep playoff run, but that will change in the next couple of years.  Our strength is in the Sophomore and Freshman classes.  We had two Freshmen start on varsity against Jax.  The Freshman class has never lost a game, they beat Jax 56-0.  The talent in that class is the kind that can potentially compete for a state championship.  So the future is very bright.  As for the present, while still a work in progress, it is vastly improved from last year.  We're not going to overwhelm anybody with sheer talent this year, but I think we'll be a well coached team that can compete with anybody.

So I expect to beat MP.  Maybe I'm wrong.  Maybe it's too soon to expect too much success.  Maybe we revert to some of the bad habits from last year.  I'm just saying don't be shocked if we win.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

I would be surprised if SS loses this one.  I don't think people on the outside understand the whole story here.  Last year was a train wreck.  We had one of the toughest schedules in the state.  Through 7 games our first 7 opponents had a combined record of 45-4.  Our kids were so beat down from playing teams like Frisco, Lovejoy, Ennis, etc that they were done halfway through the season.  Combine that with a coaching staff that had one foot out the door and it made for a pretty toxic environment.  The talent wasn't there to be a playoff team, but shouldn't have been 0-10.

Things are totally different now.  The new coaching staff is top notch and has brought a lot of energy.  They will have the kids ready to play.  There is a confidence here that hasn't been here in a while.  An infusion of young talent has helped too.  We had a Freshmen WR score the last TD against Jax to put the game away.  The talent level on varsity probably isn't there yet to make a deep playoff run, but that will change in the next couple of years.  Our strength is in the Sophomore and Freshman classes.  We had two Freshmen start on varsity against Jax.  The Freshman class has never lost a game, they beat Jax 56-0.  The talent in that class is the kind that can potentially compete for a state championship.  So the future is very bright.  As for the present, while still a work in progress, it is vastly improved from last year.  We're not going to overwhelm anybody with sheer talent this year, but I think we'll be a well coached team that can compete with anybody.

So I expect to beat MP.  Maybe I'm wrong.  Maybe it's too soon to expect too much success.  Maybe we revert to some of the bad habits from last year.  I'm just saying don't be shocked if we win.

I dont think anyone would be surprised by a SS win against MP. I expect it to be a shootout. MP has better talent than the last few years. They also have more depth than past years. 

I think the offensive output will depend on which QB plays for MP.

9 hours ago, MPGold said:

I don't think that's right.

Protocol used to be a 5 day process, unless it has changed.  So, I think it would depend on how he was Saturday. Could be wrong. Someone update me please.

I'd bet Hampton is getting a ton of reps this week in case. We shall see.

I still think this is correct.