Anna vs Celina

TCU44

Would love to see the bobcats win this game, but I have a feeling it’s not going to be very close. especially after watching celina almost lose last week to the team that lost to 3-A D2 Gunter by 40!!Anna has tons of athletes. Celina just doesn’t have the big-time athletes like some of these other schools nowadays. They’re very well coached and they definitely get the most out of their kids, but I guess we’ll find out here in a few days. What are you guys thoughts?

To my knowledge, Anna has played their first two games WITHOUT stud receiver Jacob Emmers, and they’ll be without him again on Friday.

They do have sophomore breakout Ziondre Williams at QB, though. Dude showed out at 7-on-7 and he’s picked it right up this fall too. A true dual threat. Not as big or strong as Evan Bullock was, but way more athletic. Not as strong or accurate of an arm on the deep ball, either, but as a HS QB, I’d probably take Williams’s tools over Bullock.

Bobcats had a problem with Walnut Groves QB last week, and Williams is probably going to give them similar fits. Expect him to tuck and run for at least a pair of long TD runs.

Anna also has Steens at receiver and Chumley back at RB. Both are big-time playmakers.

Essentially, the Coyotes are loaded.

Based on previous two weeks, my gut says Anna wins this one comfortably. But the skill gap between Anna and Celina was much wider a year ago than it is now, and the Bobcats gave themselves a chance to win both of those matchups in 2022.

Celina is much more balanced, more skilled and more efficient on offense than they have been since 2015. We also have (so far anyway) a more dominant offensive line, an improved QB, drastically improved receivers and (perhaps biggest) improved, adaptive and creative play calling.

Defensively, it seems like we’re still sorting out a bit of personnel, especially up front. We’re good in spots and in other spots I’m just not as confident. Feels like we’re trying to find our identity on that side of the ball.

Last week against WG, you could see Coach A Ford make some adjustments to the defense and it put kids in the right spots to make the right plays. But we lacked discipline which leant to lack of execution.

We were opportunistic and made a big turnover when it counted. But it felt like we were on our heels the whole time.

And yeah, it’s easy to look at last week’s game and compare what WG did against Gunter and blah blah blah. I’m sure there’s merit to that, but I don’t know how much.

Fact is, WG did (and does) have some talent and they showed up to play with an almost perfect scheme and they executed it as close to perfectly as you probably can. They had a big halftime lead and all the momentum for the majority of the game.

AND YET, Celina had the poise and reserve to come from behind multiple times and gut out a win. The way the offense became methodical and surgical when they HAD to be flawless was impressive. There were clutch plays after clutch plays when the pressure was at its highest.

Sure, maybe it shouldn’t have gotten to that point. But it did, and Celina never panicked. There’s something to be said for that.

1 hour ago, d0tc0m said:

And yeah, it’s easy to look at last week’s game and compare what WG did against Gunter and blah blah blah. I’m sure there’s merit to that, but I don’t know how much.

Fact is, WG did (and does) have some talent and they showed up to play with an almost perfect scheme and they executed it as close to perfectly as you probably can. They had a big halftime lead and all the momentum for the majority of the game.

AND YET, Celina had the poise and reserve to come from behind multiple times and gut out a win. The way the offense became methodical and surgical when they HAD to be flawless was impressive. There were clutch plays after clutch plays when the pressure was at its highest.

Sure, maybe it shouldn’t have gotten to that point. But it did, and Celina never panicked. There’s something to be said for that.

As long as Celina O line is healthy they have a chance against anybody. That group is big and physical. You can win a lot of games with that. 
2019 the Dawgs beat a great LaVega team defense with a big physical offensive line. 
This years Celina has that type of O line. Pound, pound , and keep pounding. 

31 minutes ago, cowboyandchrist said:

As long as Celina O line is healthy they have a chance against anybody. That group is big and physical. You can win a lot of games with that. 
2019 the Dawgs beat a great LaVega team defense with a big physical offensive line. 
This years Celina has that type of O line. Pound, pound , and keep pounding. 

I agree with this. If Celina’s o-line is healthy AND they play disciplined, then that’s a unit that will keep us in every ball game. They are dominant. Big. Quick. Strong. Smart. And physical. And they’ll need all of it on Friday, because Anna’s defense can flat out fly around and they’ll be bringing all kinds of looks and coverages I’m sure.

But that offensive line, if they play well, can help us establish our power run game, which looks like it’s our bread and butter again. We don’t run it out of the full house all the time like the olden times, but we can power run out of multiple looks. We’ve got two young but very fast and very physical RBs that are a ton of fun to watch.

If we have a chance come Friday, it’ll be because our offensive line dictated the pace and rhythm of the game.

This being a home game for Celina is a big plus for the Bobcats against a very athletic Anna Coyote team.  How will Celina even gameplan for the speed of those receivers and the dual-threat QB that passes and runs equally well.....with accuracy and speed?  Big is good, but speed can sometimes counter size.  Playing keep away and controlling the pace is good, but what do you do against a quick-strike offensive attack that can score from anywhere at anytime? Burn the clock and play ball control......with no turnovers.  Yep......but then when Celina does score, the ball goes right back to the Anna offense.  This is one game I'd like to watch, for sure.  

10 hours ago, iRockNewbzz said:

Anna until Celina proves otherwise

Sounds like some hilarious alternate universe.

But, it's not. And I tend to agree with you. I believe in the Celina offense. But I want the Bobcats defense to make me eat some crow and force me to believe in them too. This is the game to do it.

11 hours ago, iRockNewbzz said:

Anna until Celina proves otherwise

16 minutes ago, d0tc0m said:

Sounds like some hilarious alternate universe.

But, it's not. And I tend to agree with you. I believe in the Celina offense. But I want the Bobcats defense to make me eat some crow and force me to believe in them too. This is the game to do it.

Unreal to read this on a message board. Celina being the underdog to Anna sounds like a fairy tale...but it is very real.

35 minutes ago, cotton84 said:

So, what is the predicted turnout in numbers for the Celina fans and for Anna fans ?……. I heard Celina fans were buying up tickets from Anna.  

Should be a full house and a playoff type atmosphere. But there should be plenty of space.

9 hours ago, d0tc0m said:

Should be a full house and a playoff type atmosphere. But there should be plenty of space.

Dotcom

i would love to see Celina, this year only with that O line run a perfected wing T only on third and fourth down short yardage of 2 to 3 yards for a first. 
can you imagine how hard it would be to stop that play if Celina could run it like Liberty Hill. Folks reading Smoaky need to see Celina O line. They are the real deal this year. How far will they go this year I don’t have clue. The rest of team is a typical good Celina but the O line is special. 

3 minutes ago, cowboyandchrist said:

Dotcom

i would love to see Celina, this year only with that O line run a perfected wing T only on third and fourth down short yardage of 2 to 3 yards for a first. 
can you imagine how hard it would be to stop that play if Celina could run it like Liberty Hill. Folks reading Smoaky need to see Celina O line. They are the real deal this year. How far will they go this year I don’t have clue. The rest of team is a typical good Celina but the O line is special. 

They have run some formations that certainly take bits and pieces from slot-t. We call it a "funky gun" and it's a power scheme out of a pistol look. But there's some misdirection and lots of moving pieces that ask a lot from the defense. We scored on a pass last week that was set up by this look.

And I agree with you, this is one of the better offensive lines that I can remember from Celina. The only comps I'd throw out, from a quality standpoint, were 2015, and then maybe back to 2007 and 2008. None of those three teams had the size, strength and quickness of this year's group though.

HOWEVER far Celina goes this season, it'll be on the backs of that O-line.

• Like 1