#1 GUNTER vs #3 TIDEHAVEN- 3A Div. II UIL State Championship Game

blueflu

State Championship  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Who Ya Got?

• Tidehaven Tigers
    • Gunter Tigers

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/15/2023 at 01:00 AM

Tidehaven’s front 7 was really really good tonight for about 3 quarters and then the stalled offensive drives started to catch up to them and eventually wore down. I’m not breaking any news by saying this, but Gunter is here to stay. 4 titles in the last 8 seasons, they’ve already benefited from move ins to the program but with the success and proximity to the booming suburban communities like Frisco, McKinney, Prosper, Melissa etc. you can expect to see a few more families make that decision to get their son into a smaller school with great coaches and community support. FWIW, the infamous Baby Gronk is at Gunter and he’s actually a man amongst boys right now lol so definitely goood talent in the stable for the Tigers. 

#5 was killing us.  I think we did a great job of shutting him down in the second half, and that was the biggest difference.  By my rough count, I believe he had 12 carries for 150 rushing yards in the first half (2 of those carries went for 43 and 61 yards) - so 104 on 2 carries; 46 yards on the other 10 in the first half, and 10 total rushes for 16 total rushing yards in the second half.   

Edited by Pax

1 hour ago, Pax said:

#5 was killing us.  I think we did a great job of shutting him down in the second half, and that was the biggest difference.  By my rough count, I believe he had 12 carries for 150 rushing yards in the first half (2 of those carries went for 43 and 61 yards) - so 104 on 2 carries; 46 yards on the other 10 in the first half, and 10 total rushes for 16 total rushing yards in the second half.   

The UIL official stats had 10 for 19 in the second half.

Outside of those two long runs, his longest was a pair of eights.

Second half went

21 minutes ago, JasonDellaRosa said:

The UIL official stats had 10 for 19 in the second half.

Outside of those two long runs, his longest was a pair of eights.

Second half went

I'm getting the stats from the official UIL site as well.  He had gains of 19 yards and losses of 3 for a NET of 16.  Either way, not very many yards, but you're only referencing the positive yardage.  Not sure why the UIL separates out positive yardage from negative - it seems cumbersome, but that's why we are 3 yards off in the second half.  

Edited by Pax

5 minutes ago, Pax said:

I'm getting the stats from the official UIL site as well.  He had gains of 19 yards and losses of 3 for a NET of 16.  Either way, not very many yards, but you're only referencing the positive yardage.  Not sure why the UIL separates out positive yardage from negative - it seems cumbersome, but that's why we are 3 yards off in the second half.  

No I counted one of those as a two-yard gain when it was a negative-two. I hate how they do those boxes as well and put the yardage before loss first.

Edited by JasonDellaRosa
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, JasonDellaRosa said:

No I counted one of those as a two-yard gain when it was a negative-two. I hate how they do those boxes as well and put the yardage before loss first.

Yeah, either way he was pretty much shut down in the second half - and really outside those two long runs, we was held in check.  He had a burst, and  I think he could have broke one of those long ones at any time.  

Looking at the map, I wonder how long before Gunter blows up like the towns near by...looks like it is right in the target area for people moving out of the Frisco/Prosper area. People looking for a smaller school district that excels in academics and don't mind moving will be moving in large numbers to Celina and Gunter. 

7 minutes ago, blesseddaily said:

Looking at the map, I wonder how long before Gunter blows up like the towns near by...looks like it is right in the target area for people moving out of the Frisco/Prosper area. People looking for a smaller school district that excels in academics and don't mind moving will be moving in large numbers to Celina and Gunter. 

Seems inevitable right? Clearly that area has alot of affluent people that would have the resources to make that move if they so chose. I think it would be a no brainer if i were in that part of the world. Excellent school and seemingly thriving it every facet of it. 

3 minutes ago, chevyman said:

Seems inevitable right? Clearly that area has alot of affluent people that would have the resources to make that move if they so chose. I think it would be a no brainer if i were in that part of the world. Excellent school and seemingly thriving it every facet of it. 

Unless they have control of most of the real estate in the district...there is a small district that is similar to that near Waco that is a great school district but has control of most of the land in the district and keeps developers from building any subdivisions. They've managed to keep the district at the 2A D-1 level while all the schools around them have grown extremely fast.  

4 hours ago, blesseddaily said:

Don't ask them because then you'll get the 6hr long speech about how not everyone moves to Gunter has kids that are in high school lol

• Like 1