Who's the best college football player ever?

WETSU

seriously? ... he was hyped far beyond his abilities and impact. If he were playing for another team he would have never got that much attention. I wouldn't even put him in the top 100 ...

not even close ...

I was throwing some guys out there that had some great college careers and looked great in the college game but looked like #### in the pros

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ismail wasn't all that GREAT in college ... just over hyped ...

Two-time first-team All-American as sophomore in '89 and junior in '90 and a unanimous pick in '90 when he finished second in Heisman Trophy voting behind BYU's Ty Detmer . . . became starter on 1988 national championship squad with 12 catches for 331 yards and two touchdowns, while returning 12 kickoffs for 433 yards and two TDs . . . had 64 rushing carries for 478 yards and two TDs in '89 and caught 27 passes for 535 yards . . . returned 20 kickoffs for 502 yards and two TDs with seven punt returns for 113 yards and one TD in '89 . . . Walter Camp Player of the Year in '90 . . . had 67 rushing carries for 537 yards and three TDs in '90, 32 pass receptions for 699 yards and two TDs, 14 kickoff returns for 336 yards and one TD while returning 13 punts for 151 yards . . . career totals included 273 all-purpose attempts for 4,187 yards and 15 TDs-- a 15.3 yards-per-attempt average . . . holds records for pass reception yards per catch in a career with 22.0 (71 for 1565); kickoff returns for touchdowns in a game with two (vs. Michigan in 1989 and again vs. Rice in 1988) and in a career with five; kick return yards per attempt in a career with 22.6 (17 for 1607) . . . originally played with Toronto Argonauts of Canadian Football League . . . a fourth-round draft pick of Los Angeles Raiders in 1991 NFL draft . . . joined Raiders beginning in 1993 season, played for the Carolina Panthers from 1996-98 and became a member of the Dallas Cowboys in 1999... listed as the 75th greatest football player of all-time by collegefootball.com.

He was Mr. All-purpose. If I remember right, he also played Safety or corner in their prevent packages

I don't remember VY's career... Just that 1 season, especially that 1 game...

I remember he came in against utep his first season, never looked back.

I think a lot of these nominations are clouded by college loyalties and too young to remember some of the greats. Ever is used; some played both offense and defense,

Probably not the greatest but certainly deserving of a nomination is

Doak Walker

Jim Brown

I don't care about stats, Colt McCoy is no where near the top of this list.

I actually think VY isn't even for sure top 5, much less colt.

Winningest player in college football history. He wasn't as flashy as VY or some of these others, but tough to argue results.

I threw up in my mouth ad I typed that.

I think a lot of these nominations are clouded by college loyalties and too young to remember some of the greats. Ever is used; some played both offense and defense,

Probably not the greatest but certainly deserving of a nomination is

Doak Walker

Jim Brown

Hey now, I haven't listed a single LSU great... but since you mentioned it...

Billy Cannon QB LSU

Winningest player in college football history. He wasn't as flashy as VY or some of these others, but tough to argue results.

I'm with WETSU on this one. Great teams, perfect QB for those teams, but nowhere near the top of the list. Hell, I bet we could put together a list if QBS that runs 30+ deep before we even mention McCoy.

But while we are on it, who is the OU QB tha t he did the Christian ads and videos with?

That stat is meaningless in my eyes. He didn't win those games by himself. Hell he probably loses 3+ his senior year if he doesn't have a top 5 defense to bail him out.

Point is, counting wins or championships for QBs is a terrible measurement. This is far too much of a team game for that. Why would we not use most wins for a starting safety? Or offensive Tackle? Wins don't really mean much for me in the measurement of a Qb. There are lots of REALLY good QBs who didn't win championships because of defense.

Of course you don't

I post more "stats" or "numbers" to back my argument than anyone on this board. I always am backing my argument. I don't just post random "Aggy gonna Aggy" bs like you.

What I mean by I don't care about stats is that his win total is irrelevant in this discussion because wins are irrelevant for a individual player in this game. It's not baseball where a pitcher can shut down the opposing team by himself. This is a team game where a Qb can't do ANYTHING without the help of oline, wrs, rbs, and some defense to help with the win. Colt was not a dominant player in any sense. He doesn't belong in the same sentence as players like Herschel Walker, Archie Manning ect... Colt was a very good player and accomplished some good things in his career. But he's not even in the mention of best player ever.