Longhorn Basketball : 22-23

bordertown

In a effort to separate the round ball v the oblong ball games, I have started a new thread.

Horns enter the season ranked #12. In an exhibition game, they spanked #10 Arkansas 90-60. It was an exhibition, so the result must be somewhat discounted (but impressive). In their first game at the new Moody Center, the Horns beat UTEP 72-57. One observation from the game, Beard’s insistence on defense was evident. I felt the offense needed more movement, but I am sure it is about developing chemistry with the new players. This team is very experienced, which should bode well in big games.

Tonight the take on Houston Christian before hosting Gonzaga next week.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bordertown said:

In a effort to separate the round ball v the oblong ball games, I have started a new thread.

Horns enter the season ranked #12. In an exhibition game, they spanked #10 Arkansas 90-60. It was an exhibition, so the result must be somewhat discounted (but impressive). In their first game at the new Moody Center, the Horns beat UTEP 72-57. One observation from the game, Beard’s insistence on defense was evident. I felt the offense needed more movement, but I am sure it is about developing chemistry with the new players. This team is very experienced, which should bode well in big games.

Tonight the take on Houston Christian before hosting Gonzaga next week.

I agree, I came from the agressive stance in basketball of tight defense being aggressive to go after ball in the passing lanes (more like a constant press) to create a lot of offense. I think I would have been in that Paul Westhead/Loyola Marymount style...room a zoom zoom!!!

I struggle when it's tough defense that then walks it up and plays something slow...too regimented.

Edited by PelvisPresley

Texas 82 Houston Christian 31

The Longhorns were not playing Duke, but the defense was smoothering. Texas jumped out to a 16-0 lead before HCU scored in the 7th minutes of the game. The 31 points was the second lowest number of points allowed. If the deep bench had not played the last minutes of the game, HCU would not break 30 points. The negatives from the game were 3pt shooting and free throws. Texas was 3 of 22 from behind the arch (two of the baskets were from the end of the bench late in the game). The Horns were sub 50% from the line. If not corrected both could be problematic late in games. Not hitting 75% of one’s free throws is unacceptable. But the opponents are going to have a difficult time holding up to the pressure. 

Huge test upcoming with Gonzaga. Hopefully they will still have their sea legs when they arrive at Moody.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, oldschool32 said:

If they can score and play defense like that a full season they may actually make some noise this year.  

Last night they could make their shots and hit free throws. Last week versus HCU they could not. You are correct “if they can score”.  But the defense has been disruptive and should keep them in games. While Arkansas was an “Exhibition”, they were a highly regarded team similarly dismantled. I like what Beard is doing with the program. Specifically, I like how he is involving the student body. After all, it’s their team.

Gonzana shot 51% from FG, 71% from 3pt, and 75% from the FT line at half.... They were still down by 10.

Texas limited shots and kept Gonzaga from finding any kind of rhythm. They also forced 16+ turnovers. The defense will automatically keep them in games, now if the offense can hit shots then they will be very very hard to beat.

• Like 1

Few’s postgame statement:

"[Texas is] a really, really, really good team," Few said. "They're old. Their guards (Marcus Carr and Tyrese Hunter] are terrific. They can both handle it. It's always great when you have two point guards like that who can shoot. They're athletic enough to switch ball screens. And so, yeah, they're the real deal."

3 “reallies” is impressive.

Edited by bordertown
  • Like 1

On 11/17/2022 at 6:15 AM, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Lots of season to play, but a great start, no doubt. 

🤘🏻

Pair this win with the exhibition game against Arky and things are already looking good. The Beard Doctrine is in effect in Austin.

• Like 1

Texas continued their winning ways defeating Northern Arizona 73-48. Texas had a strong 1st half, but played to level of the competition in the 2nd. After a strong shooting night against Gonzaga, the Horns went cold from the outside. So the question of consistency remains. The win over Gonzaga catapulted the Horns to #4 in the nation. Next game is Saturday versus UTRGV at Gregory Gym as part of the Leon Black Classic. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bordertown said:

Texas continued their winning ways defeating Northern Arizona 73-48. Texas had a strong 1st half, but played to level of the competition in the 2nd. After a strong shooting night against Gonzaga, the Horns went cold from the outside. So the question of consistency remains. The win over Gonzaga catapulted the Horns to #4 in the nation. Next game is Saturday versus UTRGV at Gregory Gym as part of the Leon Black Classic. 

It was 41-13 at one point in the first half. Texas pretty much maintained that margin after that. Texas shot 50% for the game. There was 94 minutes of bench time in the game. I think they did alright.

• Like 1