DeBoer replaces retired legend Nick Saban at Alabama

I hate to see it happen, but it was inevitable. If anyone has earned a retirement, it’s him. 

As far as replacing him, I don’t know where to start. This will probably be the hardest coaching hire in college football history. The guy taking the job will be measured against the best ever. I’m not even sure who would want that. 

17 minutes ago, Lion7000 said:

Bout time . He is getting older and nothing to prove. The new guy has some big shoes and it not gonna be Dabo imo. Jimbo Fisher lol .  Alabama probably takes a step back but not much.

I just heard through the Tide Vine that Jimbo has already called about the job......:rofl:

• LOL! 1

2 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

I hate to see it happen, but it was inevitable. If anyone has earned a retirement, it’s him. 

As far as replacing him, I don’t know where to start. This will probably be the hardest coaching hire in college football history. The guy taking the job will be measured against the best ever. I’m not even sure who would want that. 

Not just that.  If you win a Natty in the next 3 years, you get no credit.  It will be “Saban’s recruits”

Due to the recruiting cycle and transfer portal, things will probably move quickly to try to keep the roster and recruiting class together. I like Dabo as a person, but his mentality towards the things that you have to do to be successful in college football today turns me off on him as a choice for this job. I also don’t see this being filled by a NFL coordinator. Alabama is not a stepping stone job. I do feel like Sark would be a great choice, but I just don’t see him leaving Texas for several reasons. My top two picks are Dan Lanning and Mike Norvell, although I don’t know if either of them would be interested in making a move. But it’s going to be interesting. 

9 hours ago, MrBuddyGarrity said:

I thought it was rumor but apparently Dan Lanning is in Tuscaloosa right now. That's weird if true.

That’s what I’m seeing. I’m thinking there was probably a lot of discussion going on behind the scenes before Saban made the announcement yesterday. The next couple of days are going to be very interesting. 

I’m thinking this is going to happen pretty quickly:

Greg Byrne, athletic director of The University of Alabama, released a statement on Twitter/X about the upcoming coaching search...

"As with any coaching search, our goal is to be thorough, but expedient. Our ideal candidate will be strong in recruiting and relationship building, player development, excel in Xs and Os and have the overall ability to lead this historic program. There will be plenty of rumors out there during this process. Next time I talk publicly will be to announce our new coach. If you don't hear it from me, don't believe it. Roll Tide!"

#Alabama #BamaBuilt #RollTideRoll #CrimsonTide #Bama #Tide #SECChampions #RollTide #AlabamaCrimsonTide

Oh, this is too easy. Ya gotta go with Joey Freshwater himself: Lane Kiffin... 

In the short term: with his playcalling aptitude, he's almost certain to win right away. 

In the long term: if he doesn't work out, he recruits well enough to stock the cupboard for the next guy.

7 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

In the short term: with his playcalling aptitude, he's almost certain to win right away. 

In the long term: if he doesn't work out, he recruits well enough to stock the cupboard for the next guy.

I want Kiffin just for the madness that would follow with all of the Ole Miss guys getting another 30 day window to enter the portal with the coach change.

• LOL! 2

15 minutes ago, Lhornfan said:

Believe what you want, but it’s being reported Sark already said No Thanks and Lanning of Oregon is the next man up. 

Correct. Sark would've been the man if Texas hadn't called a few years ago. He's not leaving

37 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

I am with you, Lane Kiffin would be my #1. 

His X's and O's work in the SEC.

His recruiting is almost 2nd to none.

His NIL game and ability to work the transfer portal is likely top 5 in the nation.

Given Alabama's resources, he would be my guy.

• Like 1

• Coach Rab changed the title to DeBoer replaces retired legend Nick Saban at Alabama