WEEK 1: (6A) Tyler Lee (0-0) Vs. (5A) Marshall (0-0)

Mavchamp

Tyler Lee (6A) Vs. Marshall (5A)  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Who you got?

• Lee in a close one
    • Marshall in a close one
    • Lee in a blowout
    • Marshall in a blowout

Questions the Mavs have headed into the season:

1. Has the defense improved against the run from last season?

This is where we realllly struggled last season. We gave up some epic yards in our losses to Lee, Longview, Ouachita, Texas High, and Wylie East.... some of those game nearly 300 yards rushing. Have we improved?

2. QB position struggled last season, will that continue even with a new face?

Herrington was the starter last season after sitting out his Soph year from a torn ACL. He's out this season with another knee injury and we are left looking for his replacement. We either give the reigns to a sophomore that lead the 9th grade team to a district title last season or a transfer from Monroe with varsity experience. He had 1200 yards last season.

3. Who will tote the rock? It's been mostly understated....but we have to replace a guy like Cameron Haller, who mostly played at the RB position in his time with the Mavs. He's at A&M now.... and we need a RB. We've had lots of guys get totes in the last few years thanks to some district blowouts... but when the game is on the line... no Cam Haller. Who steps up? Do we have a stud to take over? Or will it be RB by committee like days of old?

4. The new coaches I've been told aren't overhauling the systems Harper put in place. This is good to know....because the players won't be starting from scratch with new systems and schemes like you see with other coaching changes. Does this work to our advantage?

5. Is this the year we get over the hump and beat those pesky Tigers? It's been a while... and they have owned us.

Mavchamp

We kind of mirror each other in our situation and needs in alot of areas.

Here is the questions I think Lee faces this year.

Lee has a new coaching staff for the 3rd time in 5 years. Kurt Traylor who had a very good run at Gilmer, was hired to bring some strength back into the program.

He has the boys having fun again, and really buying into his slogan " Pound the Stone"

He brought his D coordinator in with him from Gilmer , whom Im sure he feels comfortable with, and hired a new OC form Frankston.

So Lee has many unknowns going into the season. Can this group of coaches get the kids to come together and play smart.

The Lee offense returns 5 starters from a team that averaged 34 ppg last season. Can they find enough O line and a receiving core to take pressure off of Amie and Wickware, who are no secret.. Lee's crown jewel's this season.

The offense must also overcome silly penalties to kill drives from last season, and a turnover differential of < 7 . Turnovers and penalties can be coached out IMO.

The Lee defense returns 8 starters from a defense that gave up 41 ppg. Was that group just too young, lack of size, talent or IMO coaching on that side of the ball.

Regardless... that group struggled terribly, and must improve to give Lee any chance this season.

As I stated on the Longview page, I sooo believe in the fronts on both sides of the ball. I have watched and played this game enough to know games are still won in the trenches. Can Lee find a front 4 that can stop the run and get pressure on the QB. That to me is their X factor.

Lee Special teams - This group will need a major emphasis put on it. Last years group gave up numerous return yards , killing offensive momentum after scores. They eventually stopped the bleeding, by putting several starters on special teams. That may be a heavy consideration going into the season, once Traylor sees film from last season.

Finally... Can Lee make a playoff spot in a tough district that wont give up one easily. It will require an upset somewhere.

Im optimistic as most fans are this time of year, that with a new season and a fresh start we can ride our Star QB and RB to end the playoff drought.

Looking forward to the opener to see both of these teams and the stars of tomorrow come out of the closet.

Babino is a good coach and motivator. Would liked to have kept him at Lee, but I would have got outta there too after George left it in a mess

He is going to know those Lee kids well in the opener. Good hire

Not sure if George left it in a mess, or it was already in a mess before he arrived. I wish the new coaching staff well and hope they can succeed in turning the program around.

Not sure if George left it in a mess, or it was already in a mess before he arrived. I wish the new coaching staff well and hope they can succeed in turning the program around.[/quote

Don't even get me started on George. He should have stayed at Southlake. A lot of people uprooted their families and kids followed him to Tyler and he bailed. I could go on but won't.

Glad he is home with his wife and kids.

Traylor is going to do just fine.

• Like 1

I thought Louvier was hired to be the OC too. But apparently he is the assistant head coach. The OC is coming from the Gilmer staff.

I saw that too. Brody Lipsey is the OC. I thought Louvier was the guy when hired. Kinda strange.

I missed something somewhere.

The next two weeks Vs. PG and Carthage will be very telling on how I will view our game Vs. Tyler Lee.

Last year we had a disaster Vs. Carthage in our scrimmage and it continued Vs. Lee the following week.

If we have hot messes Vs. PG and Carthage, then another drubbing by Lee might be in order.

But if we have a strong showing.... then maybe I'll have a more positive outlook.

Very reserved right now until I see these Mavericks in action.

All the hype doesn't mean squat if we are a mess on the field.

The next two weeks Vs. PG and Carthage will be very telling on how I will view our game Vs. Tyler Lee.

Last year we had a disaster Vs. Carthage in our scrimmage and it continued Vs. Lee the following week.

If we have hot messes Vs. PG and Carthage, then another drubbing by Lee might be in order.

But if we have a strong showing.... then maybe I'll have a more positive outlook.

Very reserved right now until I see these Mavericks in action.

All the hype doesn't mean squat if we are a mess on the field.

PG?

PG?

Yeah.... Pleasant Grove is a "suburb" of Texarkana. I'd compare it to Spring Hill of Longview.

Should be a good test. Seen them ranked as high as #8 in a 4A Div II poll.

They advanced 3 rounds deep last year and lost a nailbiter to Celina in the region semis 23-19.

Interested to see how things go tonight.

• Like 1

Eh. I wouldn't label it a suburb because often times than not, suburbs are their own cities.

Pleasant Grove is more like an area within Texarkana much like Spring Hill is an area within Longview.

Should be interesting though. Let us know how the Mavs look today.

I forgot all about Pleasant Grove. For some foolish reason I was thinking about PNG when I read that. I was hoping they weren't driving this far for a scrimmage.

Yikes! Yeah.... that would be a long haul for a scrimmage.

Although....I remember when we had a scrimmage in Fort Worth once.... can't even remember who it was against... but it's the only time I've ever been to Farrington Field.

Move in WR will play JV for LEE deemed move for athletic purpose....sad that the old school has the ability to do this but o well

Moving from Clarksville, Tx to Tyler, Tx is considered to be an athletic move for him. How so, Lee is not a power house. I know it's more job opportunities in Tyler than were he came from. Or is his parents still in Clarksville?