what will the 4A TOP TEN LOOK LIKE AT THE START OF THE SEASON

powerlifter

16 minutes ago, cowboyandchrist said:

Running back, two O linemen, two wide receivers started, lineman 75 started several games, sophomore running back played in a lot of games. I consider that as starters returning. That would be 7 on offense with a lot of varsity playing time. 

Tucker Smith was the starting running back over half the games.....If you want to consider 24, a returning starter, okay but there is not another running back to be considered a returning starter......75 and 77 are returning starters on the online - 74 started 2 when 75 was injured 

21 hours ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

What’s up coachkells?! Good to see you on SDC today. I sure do hope our Bulldog defense improves this season. If so, we could meet your Pirates deep in the playoffs again.

Nice to be back.  Count down has begun, till State 2019. 

On 1/22/2019 at 10:28 PM, Sportsguru02 said:

We will be better than last yr we return a lot that got a lot of experience in big games that we played last yr. The only team we prolly won’t beat in the Preseason is Carthage 

Newton 😉

• Like 1

14 hours ago, bmoc said:

#2 mentioned RB was in the stands watching by the time the season ended.   what's up with that????

Not sure if what you say is true or not.  He certainly didn’t get any carries in the MH game, the Henderson game or the LH game because of how the games played out.  He will get plenty of carriers next year as a Jr with Cortney.

All this talk and Van not mentioned in any of this conversation.  The Vandals return more starters than any team in the DOD.  This group will be very good as evidenced by their 2nd place finish in the DOD in 2018.  I am not predicting it but I would not be surprised if they end winning the district.  And they do have their starting QB back and almost all of the defensive unit.

• LOL! 2

15 hours ago, 12Jefferson said:

All this talk and Van not mentioned in any of this conversation.  The Vandals return more starters than any team in the DOD.  This group will be very good as evidenced by their 2nd place finish in the DOD in 2018.  I am not predicting it but I would not be surprised if they end winning the district.  And they do have their starting QB back and almost all of the defensive unit.

The title of the thread is preseason 4A top 10.  Though Van will be a solid team in 2019, they are not in the top10 discussion yet.  I can see them landing somewhere in the #18-25 spot on preseason polls.  For district, I think they will be in the #2 or #3 spot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • LOL! 1

11 hours ago, DawgNation2015 said:

The title of the thread is preseason 4A top 10.  Though Van will be a solid team in 2019, they are not in the top10 discussion yet.  I can see them landing somewhere in the #18-25 spot on preseason polls.  For district, I think they will be in the #2 or #3 spot.

I know what the title of the thread is...........  I guess I just made the Vandals a part of the Top Ten discussion.   You gave your thoughts.... I just gave mine.    Thanks for your input.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Argyle loses a ton of senior starters, but not at some of the skill positions.  Don't sneeze on Melissa.....they will be good again for sure.  I know Hogeboom is very good at QB, and RB Tito Byce will be only a junior.  Athlete Gonzales will be starting for the 3rd yr in a row as a senior......he's a playmaker wherever they play him.  Not sure whether the Eagles O-line will be able to get the job done......lost quite a bit there in quality and experience.  Defense should be tough and with speed......don't see a problem filling those holes.  Looks like overall should be decent, but not sure as good as last season.  That was a really, really good team that lost to another really good team in really bad weather conditions that did not suit Argyle's style of play for the team it had last season.  They were undefeated except for the La Vega bad weather game.  Sometimes your best team does not win the whole enchilada.....even when you are positioned to win it and have all the personnel in place to do it.

On 1/24/2019 at 1:29 PM, Hawk20 said:

Does Carthage travel well?  They may need to bring lawn chairs or something when they come to PG.  Our visitor side is fairly small.  Stadium was built when we were still 3A and visitor side hasn't been expanded

3a then is 4A now. PG people simply built stadum too small

On 1/22/2019 at 10:11 AM, blackflag79 said:

I'm pretty sure the top 10 will have the usual perennial powers:  La Vega, Argyle, West Orange-Stark, Carthage, Cuero, Pleasant Grove.  Silsbee should be in the top 10 for sure.  At this point, it's a pick 'em as to who else will be in there.  Liberty Hill, Midlothian Heritage, and maybe Jasper?  Of course, I don't have inside info as to what each team lost to graduation.  I do know Cuero lost their do everything player in Jordan Whittington, so I think that will hurt them.

I haven't read down to see if anybody has responded about Cuero, but just from what I'm reading on recruiting...Whittington's little brother is to be even more explosive, if that can be believed...