๐Ÿˆ 2019 College Football pre-season thread

37 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Maybe. Hard to get a coach to leave where they're at for only a 5 year deal though. I can't imagine a coach like Fisher being given 3 years... that doesn't even give him one full class ofย  senior s. I agree, though- 10 years is a long time. That said, I'm happy so far.

I compare it to me hiring someone to do a job around my house. Then the first thing they ask for is a draw before they get started. H NO! Show me what you can do before any money changes hands.

Now I agree Jimbo is doing a great job so far. So time will tell if the investment was a good one. I think in his 3rd year his goal should be a NY6 bowl.

59 minutes ago, Sportsfanatic1 said:

I compare it to me hiring someone to do a job around my house. Then the first thing they ask for is a draw before they get started. H NO! Show me what you can do before any money changes hands.

Now I agree Jimbo is doing a great job so far. So time will tell if the investment was a good one. I think in his 3rd year his goal should be a NY6 bowl.

I agree with the last part.ย 

One thing that people will overlook is how difficult the schedule is. The coaches voted A&M to be the 11th best team in the country. Yet they may very possibly finish with 4-5 losses. People will say โ€œwell they clearly werenโ€™t the 11th best team in the country if they lost 4 games this seasonโ€ but I donโ€™t believe that to be true. Look at the top 25 teams. Does anyone else on that list play a schedule where they play 4 preseason ranked teams in the top 6? those teams could realistically finish a combined regular season something like 46-2 and I fully expect 3 of those teams to be in the top 5 come conference title week. Thatโ€™s absurd. So A&M May very well go 8-4 this year (I think the steal one somewhere though) and still be a top 10-12 caliber team imo. I bet they could finish 8-4 but have a top 10 ranking in the FPI or BCS type computer rankings.

so I said all that just to say that I donโ€™t measure this season completely on wins and losses like nearly every other team does. The schedule is simply too much to look at this team sitting at 8-4 and think they didnโ€™t do much. NOBODY else in the country has to play the schedule they are having to play and I highly doubt more than maybe 3-4 teams would come out any better that 1-3 in those games.ย 

1 hour ago, WETSU said:

I agree with the last part.ย 

One thing that people will overlook is how difficult the schedule is. The coaches voted A&M to be the 11th best team in the country. Yet they may very possibly finish with 4-5 losses. People will say โ€œwell they clearly werenโ€™t the 11th best team in the country if they lost 4 games this seasonโ€ but I donโ€™t believe that to be true. Look at the top 25 teams. Does anyone else on that list play a schedule where they play 4 preseason ranked teams in the top 6? those teams could realistically finish a combined regular season something like 46-2 and I fully expect 3 of those teams to be in the top 5 come conference title week. Thatโ€™s absurd. So A&M May very well go 8-4 this year (I think the steal one somewhere though) and still be a top 10-12 caliber team imo. I bet they could finish 8-4 but have a top 10 ranking in the FPI or BCS type computer rankings.

so I said all that just to say that I donโ€™t measure this season completely on wins and losses like nearly every other team does. The schedule is simply too much to look at this team sitting at 8-4 and think they didnโ€™t do much. NOBODY else in the country has to play the schedule they are having to play and I highly doubt more than maybe 3-4 teams would come out any better that 1-3 in those games.ย 

IF they lose to these 1-3 teams, the rankings will all depend on the scores. Play them hard, it's a NY6 bowl IMO if they don't lose to someone like Ark or Miss St. It probably will change.

4 hours ago, Sportsfanatic1 said:

I mean he's won a national title and had other playoff appearances. If that isn't showing what he can do, I don't know what is lol!

27 minutes ago, Sportsfanatic1 said:

If you think he's the savior good deal. Y'all thought the same thing about Chavis.

What part of anything he just said is calling Jimbo a savior? What part of this has anything to do with Chavis? Chavis wasnโ€™t even the head man. You canโ€™t compare what a coordinator does to what a HC does.ย 

8 hours ago, WETSU said:

What part of anything he just said is calling Jimbo a savior? What part of this has anything to do with Chavis? Chavis wasnโ€™t even the head man. You canโ€™t compare what a coordinator does to what a HC does.ย 

I think he just meant the wayย Aggie fans collectively anointed Chavis as the greatest DC in school history much like yโ€™all haveย done with Jimbo as HC.ย 

• Like 4
  • Stinks 1

47 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

I think he just meant the wayย Aggie fans collectively anointed Chavis as the greatest DC in school history much like yโ€™all haveย done with Jimbo as HC.ย 

Thank you! I would add it's not all Aggie fans and not all the members that post on this board.

We/They know who they are. Anyways, if they're happy I'm happy.

• Thanks 2
  • Stinks 1

1 minute ago, Sportsfanatic1 said:

Thank you! I would add it's not all Aggie fans and not all the members that post on this board.

Hey, gotta hand it to them for doing what it took to get the coach they thought and believe can get their program to the top. Itโ€™s tons of money and a lot of years, but he is a proven coach.

7 minutes ago, Sportsfanatic1 said:

Fisher's agent is the real deal.ย  LSU got them a nice raise, then he used Texas.ย  The aggies finally got it done, guaranteed contract for 10 years.ย  No way would Florida State match that.ย ย 

ย 

5 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Hey, gotta hand it to them for doing what it took to get the coach they thought and believe can get their program to the top. Itโ€™s tons of money and a lot of years, but he is a proven coach.

Yes, they've got some serious sand about them to give him that type of contract, especially with no buyout clause to protect them.ย ย 

11 hours ago, JohnnyFootball said:

I mean he's won a national title and had other playoff appearances. If that isn't showing what he can do, I don't know what is lol!

His national title was before the CFP's, No?ย  When has he had a team in the playoffs since they started?

• Stinks 1

14 hours ago, WETSU said:

It doesn't matter what you say WET. Some of these people are so delusional they just make up stuff and argue against it lmao ๐Ÿ˜‚

• Stinks 1

As of today August 19. The AP Poll

WEEKย 1

RANK - POINTS

1. Clemson - 1540

2. Alabama - 1496

3. Georgia -ย 1403

4. Oklahoma - 1331

5. Ohio State - 1261

6. LSU - 1199

7. Michigan - 1164

8. Florida - 1054

9. Notre Dame - 1044

10. Texas - 1005

11. Oregon - 860

12. Texas A&M - 852

13. Washington - 786

14. Utah - 772

15. Penn State - 651

16. Auburn - 578

17. UCF - 410

18. Michigan State - 377

19. Wisconsin - 370

20. Iowa - 330

21. Iowa State - 302

22. Syracuse - 209

23. Washington State - 200

24. Nebraska - 154

25. Stanford - 141

On 7/23/2019 at 8:28 PM, WETSU said:

That list fails to me when it doesnโ€™t have A&M on the oline list. 4 first rd draft picks in the last 7 years, with 4 others being drafted. Maybe itโ€™s more of an all time thing, but then under notable players nobody list any players over about 20 years old really.ย 

well it did say "in the last 2 decades"...you're an Aggie fan, but that's 20 years

• Mr. P changed the title to ๐Ÿˆ 2019 College Football pre-season thread