2021-22 East Texas 5A Sports Thread

LoboFan07

1 hour ago, ANTI said:

Same applies to girls basketball. You won't be able to find another Aldridge but they're a coach away..because the talent hasn't changed.

This isn’t my opinion. But one I’ve heard through the years working in a Longview. 

I work with a couple of ladies that played for Romines. 

Back in the day…. Any parent in the region that had a daughter that was talented in basketball… they did whatever they had to do to get to Longview to play for Aldridge.  They uprooted and moved to Longview.  It was a guaranteed scholarship. 

She grew up in Tatum. Moved to Longview in 7th grade to play for him.   She said hardly any of the players on her teams were from Longview.   Mostly transplants. 

Nowadays….There are other girls programs (at smaller schools) in East Texas now that excel in basketball.  Longview has fallen away. 

She made it sound like Longview was a talent magnet for the region all those years. Who wouldn’t want to play for him?  And have deep playoff runs year after year?   Get college paid for.

Same reason people send their baseball/softball kids to Hallsville these days I suppose.  A good chunk of Hallsville’s baseball roster has ties to Marshall. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

This isn’t my opinion. But one I’ve heard through the years working in a Longview. 

Back in the day…. Any parent in the region that had a daughter that was talented in basketball… they did whatever they had to do to get to Longview to play for Aldridge.  They uprooted and moved to Longview.  It was a guaranteed scholarship. 

She grew up in Tatum. Moved to Longview in 7th grade to play for him.   She said hardly any of the players on her teams were from Longview.   Mostly transplants. 

Nowadays….There are other girls programs (at smaller schools) in East Texas now that excel in basketball.  Longview has fallen away. 

She made it sound like Longview was a talent magnet for the region all those years. Who wouldn’t want to play for him?  And have deep playoff runs year after year?   Get college paid for.

Same reason people send their baseball/softball kids to Hallsville these days I suppose.  A good chunk of Hallsville’s baseball roster has ties to Marshall. 

This is it.  My brother and I have followed Lady Lobo basketball since the 80s.  Starting in the last 80s early 90s, they had lots of kids moving in district for that program.  and I don't have a problem with it.  The core kids were talented, the move-ins made them one of the elite programs in the state.  I really believe that with the right coaching that will happen again.  

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

Aldridge definitely had his transfers throughout his time at LHS....just like the next great coach. I mean, he was an important figure for ETX hoops even away from LHS basketball.

But make no mistake, most of it was homegrown. Speaking for when I was at LHS....it was almost exclusively homegrown...straight from the Southside.

Aldridge had some great MS basketball coaches working under him that helped too. Maxey at Judson I believe is the only one left.

• Thanks 1

He put girls basketball on the map in East Texas. No doubt. 

Did UIL drop the hammer on Duncanville 2 years ago from their recruiting violations? 

Their AD (former Marshall AD Clint Harper) said it had been happening for 3-4 decades. The current administration paid the price even though it was a machine in place since the early 80s.  

2 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Man, this happens so much with successful programs.   

I know its posters from many state championship contending schools around the state, including East Texas, who think their rosters are homegrown, but we all know that ain't true. 

And honestly, it wouldn't take much of an investigation to uncover it...lol.  But I get it.  However, some would say that its easier to standout on a lesser team, than to be just one of the guys on a top team.  I can see it both ways. 

23 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

He put girls basketball on the map in East Texas. No doubt. 

Did UIL drop the hammer on Duncanville 2 years ago from their recruiting violations? 

Their AD (former Marshall AD Clint Harper) said it had been happening for 3-4 decades. The current administration paid the price even though it was a machine in place since the early 80s.  

Duncanville deserved it to. Can't be out here openly recruiting players to your program.

Parents moving their kids on their own is one thing, recruiting them is another.

29 minutes ago, ANTI said:

Duncanville deserved it to. Can't be out here openly recruiting players to your program.

Parents moving their kids on their own is one thing, recruiting them is another.

I agree 100%

And with almost every district being open enrollment nowadays.... there's no reason to recruit, really.

If you want to send your kid to X school.... do it.  No need to wait for a coach to come calling.  

I have no idea why any coach or administrator would risk it with as easy as enrollment is these days.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

I agree 100%

And with almost every district being open enrollment nowadays.... there's no reason to recruit, really.

If you want to send your kid to X school.... do it.  No need to wait for a coach to come calling.  

I have no idea why any coach or administrator would risk it with as easy as enrollment is these days.

Facts.

Now, I will say that sometimes...even with open enrollment...I've seen instances where a kid was still denied eligibility. Not sure how.

UIL is annoying when it comes to this stuff. They aren't very consistent and at times, they show favoritism.

They'll let any and everyone transfer to HP and Allen but will deny, deny, deny and do all of this investigating when it comes to those I-20 corridor schools.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ANTI said:

Facts.

Now, I will say that sometimes...even with open enrollment...I've seen instances where a kid was still denied eligibility. Not sure how.

UIL is annoying when it comes to this stuff. They aren't very consistent and at times, they show favoritism.

They'll let any and everyone transfer to HP and Allen but will deny, deny, deny and do all of this investigating when it comes to those I-20 corridor schools.

My only GUESS on the double standard is the rural/urban thing.

In places like HP and Allen and most of the metro areas.... schools are all on top of each other.  Lines are on top of each other.  One side of the street is one school district and the other side of the street is another district. 

There's a major lack of "community" in those areas IMHO.  Do the people of Allen/Plano/McKinney really have any sense of community to their individual towns???  My perception is NO.  It's all basically the same and the schools are the differential.

In East Texas (and West Texas and South Texas)..... there's a sense of community for each town.

Community pride for Longview.  For Lufkin.  For Tyler.  For Marshall.  For Texarkana....etc...etc.  A desire to represent your community on the field/court.  If the UIL made it "too easy" for athletic purposes..... it could really harm the fabric of communities in more rural areas. 

There's no harm in urban areas...because there's no sense of community.  

But imagine if every talented football player in Kilgore....White Oak.....Gladewater.... Spring Hill (Nvm... that's happening lmao...jk) left their towns to go play at Longview?  It would kill those programs.....

That's a total guess on my part.  Could be off base.... but I think that's why we see some double standards in how kids come/go in some areas Vs. others.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

My only GUESS on the double standard is the rural/urban thing.

In places like HP and Allen and most of the metro areas.... schools are all on top of each other.  Lines are on top of each other.  One side of the street is one school district and the other side of the street is another district. 

There's a major lack of "community" in those areas IMHO.  Do the people of Allen/Plano/McKinney really have any sense of community to their individual towns???  My perception is NO.  It's all basically the same and the schools are the differential.

In East Texas (and West Texas and South Texas)..... there's a sense of community for each town.

Community pride for Longview.  For Lufkin.  For Tyler.  For Marshall.  For Texarkana....etc...etc.  A desire to represent your community on the field/court.  If the UIL made it "too easy" for athletic purposes..... it could really harm the fabric of communities in more rural areas. 

There's no harm in urban areas...because there's no sense of community.  

But imagine if every talented football player in Kilgore....White Oak.....Gladewater.... Spring Hill (Nvm... that's happening lmao...jk) left their towns to go play at Longview?  It would kill those programs.....

That's a total guess on my part.  Could be off base.... but I think that's why we see some double standards in how kids come/go in some areas Vs. others.

I was more so talking about the way they rule transfers at a HP/Allen vs the I-20 corridor schools like Desoto/Lancaster/DV.

It's all shady, but you will hardly ever see HP or Allen denied a transfer. 

I definitely understand the rural/urban thing.

No loyalty AT ALL in some of those schools you mentioned.

That's what it all boils down to IMHO.

The head coaches aren't loyal.  Their staffs aren't loyal.   Therefore the athletes and the parent's aren't loyal.  

• Like 2

I have to disagree on some of the comments on the urban/ rural discussions. Highland Park has an incredible sense of community and pride in their athletic programs. About the only program that does not put fear in their opponents might be basketball. Their success in football is not the result of transfers, but being prodigies of over achieving families. If you want to play at Highland Park, you must buy a multi-million dollar bungalow. The “bubble” has most of the characteristics of pride as any community in East Texas. 

Allen did not built their huge stadium because their community doesn’t care the same as as our communities. With 750 males in every class to chose from, why do they need to worry about transfers?

I think it is a fair comment about Dallas schools where parents in the northern neighborhoods often send their children to private schools. The southern neighborhoods were ruined in the 60s by busing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bordertown said:

I have to disagree on some of the comments on the urban/ rural discussions. Highland Park has an incredible sense of community and pride in their athletic programs. About the only program that does not put fear in their opponents might be basketball. Their success in football is not the result of transfers, but being prodigies of over achieving families. If you want to play at Highland Park, you must buy a multi-million dollar bungalow. The “bubble” has most of the characteristics of pride as any community in East Texas. 

Allen did not built their huge stadium because their community doesn’t care the same as as our communities. With 750 males in every class to chose from, why do they need to worry about transfers?

I think it is a fair comment about Dallas schools where parents in the northern neighborhoods often send their children to private schools. The southern neighborhoods were ruined in the 60s by busing.

Size doesn't always mean they will be good in sports. Look at Plano.

Allen gets alot of transfers because its a growing suburb. I know several people who have moved up that way over the past 10 yrs.   I think it would be naive not to think kids are moving there for athletic reasons.   Allen has had their fair share of transfers too. Not not uncommon for suburban schools, especially those that excel in sports.   

15-5A Volleyball standings
Texas High (8-0), (24-10)
Hallsville (6-2), (20-9)
Marshall (5-2), (23-12)
Sulphur Springs (5-3), (17-13)
Longview (2-5), (12-22)
Mount Pleasant (1-7), (9-12)
Pine Tree (0-8, (9-17)

Game 9
Texas High beat Sulphur Springs 3-2
Hallsville beat MP 3-0
Marshall beat Pine Tree 3-0
Longview- Bye

No surprises Friday as Texas High continues to rule the the district.  Hallsville trails the Lady Tigers by 2 games, but has a half game lead over Marshall for second place.  Sulphur Springs is a half game behind Marshall for the #4 slot.

Texas High (8-1), (24-11)
Hallsville (7-2), (21-9)
Marshall (6-2), (24-12)
Sulphur Springs (5-4), (17-14)
Longview (3-5), (13-22)
Mount Pleasant (1-8), (9-13)
Pine Tree (0-8, (9-17)

Game 9
Hallsville beat Texas High 3-2
Marshall beat Sulphur Springs 3-1
Longview beat Mount Pleasant 3-0
Pine Tree- OFF

Hallsville got the upset of the season last night as they beat beat Texas High in five sets to hand the Lady Tigers their first district loss.   The Ladycats moved within one game of Texarkana in the standings.  Marshall got a big win over Sulphur Springs to remain a half game behind Hallsville.  Longview kept themselves in the playoff chase with a win over MP.

Fulshear vs Rudder would think has to be biggest game in district 10 . Loser would fall to 4th place in district . 

Montgomery vs Consolidated is also big game winner takes control of 1st dropping loser into 2nd. a lot of football left but these 4 teams look to be separated from others 

• Like 1

Texas High (9-1), (25-11)
Marshall (7-2), (25-12)
Hallsville (7-3), (21-10)
Sulphur Springs (6-4), (18-14)
Longview (3-6), (13-23)
Mount Pleasant (1-8), (9-13)
Pine Tree (0-9), (9-18)

Game 9
Marshall beat Hallsville in 3-2 in 5 sets
Texas High beat Longview 3-0
Sulphur Springs beat Pine Tree 3-0
Mount Pleasant- OFF

The regular season is winding down.  The four playoff teams appears to be all but officially finalized....but their SEEDING is still up for grabs.

Texas High remains in the driver's seat with a big lead for the district championship.  Marshall is in sole possession of second place with a half game lead over Hallsville....however.... the Lady Mavs have the season sweep over the Ladycats.  Hallsville has a one game lead over Sulphur Springs for third place.  SS is looking to catch Hallsville for the higher seed.

Longview has been all but eliminated from the race, while MP and PT are playing for pride.

Great Race!

Game 10 on Tuesday
Hallsville Vs. Pine Tree-  Rivalry game.  Hallsville needs a win to pad their lead over SS.  PT is eliminated.
Marshall Vs. Longview- Rivalry game.  Marshall needs a win to keep their lead over Hallsville.  
Texas High Vs. Mount Pleasant- Texas High needs a win to keep their lead over Marshall.
Sulphur Springs- OFF

-----------------------

16-5A Standings
Lufkin (7-0), (34-4)
Huntsville (5-2), (14-25)
Whitehouse (5-2), (17-17)
Tyler (3-4), (9-27)
Nacogdoches (1-6), (1-19)
Jacksonville (0-7), (11-23)

------------

POSSIBLE PLAYOFF MATCH-UPS
#1 Texas High (25-11) Vs. #4 Tyler (9-27)
#2 Marshall (25-12) Vs. #3 Whitehouse (17-17)
#3 Hallsville (21-10) Vs. #2 Huntsville (14-25)
#4 Sulphur Springs (18-14) Vs. #1 Lufkin (34-4)

On 10/9/2021 at 4:11 AM, Mavchamp said:

Texas High (8-0), (24-10)
Hallsville (6-2), (20-9)
Marshall (5-2), (23-12)
Sulphur Springs (5-3), (17-13)
Longview (2-5), (12-22)
Mount Pleasant (1-7), (9-12)
Pine Tree (0-8, (9-17)

Game 9
Texas High beat Sulphur Springs 3-2
Hallsville beat MP 3-0
Marshall beat Pine Tree 3-0
Longview- Bye

No surprises Friday as Texas High continues to rule the the district.  Hallsville trails the Lady Tigers by 2 games, but has a half game lead over Marshall for second place.  Sulphur Springs is a half game behind Marshall for the #4 slot.

I understand better thanks

Longview tennis defeated Ennis, 10-4, this past Thursday to move into the Regional Quarterfinals. Will take on Highland Park on Tuesday in Rockwall.

Texas High defeated Midlothian 12-3 while Whitehouse defeated Corsicana 11-8. Those two face off at Sulphur Springs on Tuesday.