šŸ”“ Carthage Bulldogs football 2023

cowboyandchrist

33 minutes ago, JBizzle said:

Gonna be a fun year.Ā  I hope PG and Gilmer games are very competitive.Ā  Will be great to have those games be fun!

Barring injury to Carthageā€™s LT, QB or the middle 3 up front on defense, probably be about like last year.Ā 

1 hour ago, cotton84 said:

Barring injury to Carthageā€™s LT, QB or the middle 3 up front on defense, probably be about like last year.Ā 

Agree. Ā Interested to see what Gilmerā€™s OL and DL look like this year. Ā Might make it interesting. Ā PG wonā€™t have the trench play or the depth to go four quarters.

21 minutes ago, cotton84 said:

What position is the running back with an offer to play running back at UTSA going to play this fall ?

If I was a bettor, I might say "RB". I think he got a few more offers in addition to UTSA.Ā 

38 minutes ago, Texlov said:

Carthage could very easily win state, but so could PG.

Wouldn't mind our future Razorback from PG winning a state title before hitting Fayetteville, but beating Carthage is beyond a tall order, especially this upcoming season.Ā 

Young Surratt will be protected better than any quarterback in the nation, but in my humble opinion the D1 offers are a bit premature. He isn't in the same conversation yet as Gunner Capps, and he only had a few offers as a Jr. Not even many as a Senior.Ā 

Horton wasn't too shabby either as a Jr and Sr winning every game for two straight years with two championships and he didn't have many offers.Ā 

For Surratt the watershed moment will be when the big hit happens. It's coming and he isn't the biggest guy in the world. I'm not saying he can't handle it, but 4a ball is a big task for a young player.Ā 

I only saw Capps get hit hard once his Jr season and it was agaisnt PG in Carthage. Afterward he was on the sideline with smelling salts under his nose for a while, but he managed to get back in the game and lead one of the most epic game winning drives I've ever witnessed! All those passes outside the numbers was TRULY a sight to behold!Ā 

Surratt doesn't have that kind of arm strength yet. Not for those bullet passes required for the deep sideline outs. Capps was a master of those and his arm was an absolute cannon! Surratt might very well develop an arm like that but it probably won't be this year. That's not a knock either. Capps was older and more physically developed.Ā 

I witnessed Horton take a HUGE hit his Jr year in PG. It was on a trick play just before half where they threw the ball back across the field to him and he ran it in for a short touchdown, but it wasn't without a price! He got ABSOLUTELY brutalized!Ā 

The play happened in the front corner of the endzone on the PG side, and Horton barely made the jog back to the Carthage bench. He was literally nearly knocked out, but he managed to wobble back to the sideline.Ā 

It was very admirable for him to take a shot like that and be able to overcome it.

He came back in the second half and finished the game with no issue and the rest is history.Ā 

Overall the current Carthage team is by far the most stacked that I've seen and I've been following them since 2017.Ā 

There are too many top knotch move-ins to keep up with, and how they keep producing top caliber trench players year in and year out is a mystery to me. I'm not saying they recruit by any means, but I know from experience that it's VERY rare to have big, quality trench players every year in small school ball. 4a is on the big spectrum of small town ball, but it's still small town if it's under 5a, and I don't know of any small schools that enjoy the benefits of having superior big men every year.Ā 

For example just down the road in Center they have just as many good skills players. They are always stacked with multiple D1 recruits at the skills positions, but it's not even close in the trenches. Carthage man handles them up front every year as they do 99% of their opponents.Ā 

I'm guessing another 16-0 season unless something dramatically unforseen happens.Ā 

I think this team will be dominant enough to run the wildcat and win defensive battles to go 16 and 0. We shall see.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, justicefordaville said:

Young Surratt will be protected better than any quarterback in the nation, but in my humble opinion the D1 offers are a bit premature. He isn't in the same conversation yet as Gunner Capps, and he only had a few offers as a Jr. Not even many as a Senior.Ā 

Horton wasn't too shabby either as a Jr and Sr winning every game for two straight years with two championships and he didn't have many offers.Ā 

For Surratt the watershed moment will be when the big hit happens. It's coming and he isn't the biggest guy in the world. I'm not saying he can't handle it, but 4a ball is a big task for a young player.Ā 

I only saw Capps get hit hard once his Jr season and it was agaisnt PG in Carthage. Afterward he was on the sideline with smelling salts under his nose for a while, but he managed to get back in the game and lead one of the most epic game winning drives I've ever witnessed! All those passes outside the numbers was TRULY a sight to behold!Ā 

Surratt doesn't have that kind of arm strength yet. Not for those bullet passes required for the deep sideline outs. Capps was a master of those and his arm was an absolute cannon! Surratt might very well develop an arm like that but it probably won't be this year. That's not a knock either. Capps was older and more physically developed.Ā 

I witnessed Horton take a HUGE hit his Jr year in PG. It was on a trick play just before half where they threw the ball back across the field to him and he ran it in for a short touchdown, but it wasn't without a price! He got ABSOLUTELY brutalized!Ā 

The play happened in the front corner of the endzone on the PG side, and Horton barely made the jog back to the Carthage bench. He was literally nearly knocked out, but he managed to wobble back to the sideline.Ā 

It was very admirable for him to take a shot like that and be able to overcome it.

He came back in the second half and finished the game with no issue and the rest is history.Ā 

Overall the current Carthage team is by far the most stacked that I've seen and I've been following them since 2017.Ā 

There are too many top knotch move-ins to keep up with, and how they keep producing top caliber trench players year in and year out is a mystery to me. I'm not saying they recruit by any means, but I know from experience that it's VERY rare to have big, quality trench players every year in small school ball. 4a is on the big spectrum of small town ball, but it's still small town if it's under 5a, and I don't know of any small schools that enjoy the benefits of having superior big men every year.Ā 

For example just down the road in Center they have just as many good skills players. They are always stacked with multiple D1 recruits at the skills positions, but it's not even close in the trenches. Carthage man handles them up front every year as they do 99% of their opponents.Ā 

I'm guessing another 16-0 season unless something dramatically unforseen happens.Ā 

I think this team will be dominant enough to run the wildcat and win defensive battles to go 16 and 0. We shall see.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Did you watch the first round playoff game in 2022 when Carthage played Pitt? Ā That was Jettā€™s first big hit - a QB scramble up the middle after the pocket collapsed. Ā I thought he broke into 3 pieces, but he popped back up and jogged back to the huddle.

As for his protection, it will be excellent. Ā He will throw a LOT of short /intermediate routes and high percentage deep ball fades/post patterns. Ā He wonā€™t be asked to make all the throws Cuff, Horton, Capps made as Jrā€™s/Srā€™s until he is settled in and can make them. Ā Jettā€™s job will be to run the offense and get the ball in the play makers hands. Ā And as you noted he will have many around him. Ā Truth is Carthage could run the ball 85% of the time in the first 10 games and win convincingly. Ā But they wonā€™t, and thatā€™s where Jett will mature.

As for the offers, UTSA, Houston & TX Tech all saw him play varsity QB as a freshman. Ā They know he has been around one of the most decorated programs in TX all his life. Ā He has been in the film room and studied with Scott since the 4th grade. Ā He is not your typical incoming Soph QB. Ā His ceiling is high if he continues to fill out and get stronger. Ā Iā€™d also say a small part of the offers were hoping they could convince Scott to come with Jett wherever he signs because Scott will likely take his curtain call at Carthage in May 2026. Ā 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

11 minutes ago, PantherNation2015 said:

Did you watch the first round playoff game in 2022 when Carthage played Pitt? Ā That was Jettā€™s first big hit - a QB scramble up the middle after the pocket collapsed. Ā I thought he broke into 3 pieces, but he popped back up and jogged back to the huddle.

As for his protection, it will be excellent. Ā He will throw a LOT of short /intermediate routes and high percentage deep ball fades/post patterns. Ā He wonā€™t be asked to make all the throws Cuff, Horton, Capps made as Jrā€™s/Srā€™s until he is settled in and can make them. Ā Jettā€™s job will be to run the offense and get the ball in the play makers hands. Ā And as you noted he will have many around him. Ā Truth is Carthage could run the ball 85% of the time in the first 10 games and win convincingly. Ā But they wonā€™t, and thatā€™s where Jett will mature.

As for the offers, UTSA, Houston & TX Tech all saw him play varsity QB as a freshman. Ā They know he has been around one of the most decorated programs in TX all his life. Ā He has been in the film room and studied with Scott since the 4th grade. Ā He is not your typical incoming Soph QB. Ā His ceiling is high if he continues to fill out and get stronger. Ā Iā€™d also say a small part of the offers were hoping they could convince Scott to come with Jett wherever he signs because Scott will likely take his curtain call at Carthage in May 2026. Ā 

Great response, and I've been saying Scott might be done in Carthage in 2026.Ā 

I heard some interesting conversations back when Jett was about a 5th or 6th grader when it was assumed that he might be a golfer only. Which he is really good at. I'm not sure what his football future holds, but looking at his golf scores he definitely has options.Ā 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PantherNation2015 said:

Who in the world would want to fill those shoes when he leaves. Good grief. Talk about a pressure cooker.Ā 

2 hours ago, Haymaker said:

Who in the world would want to fill those shoes when he leaves. Good grief. Talk about a pressure cooker.Ā 

He has several long time assistants that will likely get the nod. Ā As much as everyone talks about Surratt and the offense, Preston has risen to elite status as a Defensive Coordinator also. Ā Will be curious what his plans are in the next 3 years.

4 hours ago, justicefordaville said:

Great response, and I've been saying Scott might be done in Carthage in 2026.Ā 

I heard some interesting conversations back when Jett was about a 5th or 6th grader when it was assumed that he might be a golfer only. Which he is really good at. I'm not sure what his football future holds, but looking at his golf scores he definitely has options.Ā 

Jett will have options to play D1 golf and football in college. Ā No question.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PantherNation2015 said:

Jett will have options to play D1 golf and football in college. Ā No question.

If I was him, I would concentrate on golf .... but of course he will play for his dad ....

• Like 1