GORDON 70, WESTBROOK 20....FINAL

Crawford

Westbrook hits a big pass to an open receiver but he's caught from behind by the Gordon defender......just to give an example.  Now another Gordon player on defense makes the interception for a PICK 6 and takes it all the way......he's only a sophomore and looks like a seasoned player already.

So, I'm not exactly familiar with the 45-point mercy rule.  Am I correct that it only applies at or after halftime?  Like, you could be up by 80 points, but the game won't get called until halftime - - but if you are up by 45 or more at any point after halftime, the game is called right then?

In other words, if a team won by 60 points, that game was over at halftime - is that sound logic?

Edited by Pax

1 minute ago, Pax said:

So, I'm not exactly familiar with the 45-point mercy rule.  Am I correct that it only applies at or after halftime?  Like, you could be up by 80 points, but the game won't get called until halftime - - but if you are up by 45 or more at any point after halftime, the game is called right then?

45 point mercy rule take affect at half or any time during the 2nd half. Yes you could be be up 80 and the game won't end till halftime

Gordon's average margin of victory is 50.5, and their lowest margin of victory is 46, so basically every game was called due to the mercy rule.  That'll definitely throw the numbers out of whack.  Basically, their average game lasts one half.  That's pretty incredible really. 

Not sure how reliable it is, but on MaxPreps, they have scoring broken down by quarter.  For Gordon :

1 - 23.0

2 - 27.3

3 - 4.5

4 - 0

This tells me that the mercy rule is usually invoked by halftime or very early in the 3rd quarter for pretty much every game.  They haven't scored in the 4th quarter - - - and my guess is because they haven't played a 4th quarter all year.

Edited by Pax

3 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

Welp......I'll be leaving for my 1:30 dental appt. today in about 30 min......so I guess I won't be missing much, Huh?  I just need to get back for the next game and hopefully that one will be closer.

I went to the dentist yesterday......lol.....have fun

• Like 1

• RETIREDFAN1 changed the title to GORDON 70, WESTBROOK 20....FINAL