Hughes Springs

giant

I think someone on this page had said the current(guess former now) AD was only on a one year contract so i wonder if they do the same to the next guy. i would assume that would be a big factor in getting some good candidates for that position.

14 minutes ago, Tex85 said:

I think someone on this page had said the current(guess former now) AD was only on a one year contract so i wonder if they do the same to the next guy. i would assume that would be a big factor in getting some good candidates for that position.

I don't think you get a top quality candidate that would only accept a one year contract after what has happened in the last couple of years. This guy was "run off" after less than a year. Although, there are some coaches that will sign anything just to be a head coach, so who knows. 

28 minutes ago, BigWhoop said:

I don't think you get a top quality candidate that would only accept a one year contract after what has happened in the last couple of years. This guy was "run off" after less than a year. Although, there are some coaches that will sign anything just to be a head coach, so who knows. 

I agree a one-year contract can be tough to attract anyone to really want to jump in, especially considering it looks like a total rebuild....they'll get someone because there's always people wanting to be a HC, but will the quality of candidates be there? 

On 3/23/2024 at 5:34 PM, VerumDixit said:

I take it you have not seen LK the last couple of years. Even Hughes Springs of last year would have beaten them. 

You sure about that? I saw HS play last year. Off the top of my head, I can’t think of a single team that they woulda/coulda beat. 

31 minutes ago, Tatum_DirtyBird said:

You sure about that? I saw HS play last year. Off the top of my head, I can’t think of a single team that they woulda/coulda beat. 

I am 100% sure. 

You think you have seen bad until you watch some 2AD2 football. 

I don't think dumpster fire is bad enough for this one.. its more like a mountain of dumpsters on fire. Who gets the next shot at this illustrious job?

• Like 1

Either an older coach that is trying to up his retirement will take it or a young coach that believes they can do what no one else has been able to do will take it.  In any case, it takes A LOT, to fix a program and more often than not is has little to do with the coaches.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The guy who took over after Edwards had NO support from students or community so what do you expect would happen? 🤔 The same thing will happen to next guy, next guy until there is FULL SUPPORT from students, parents, community, etc.

2 minutes ago, iRockNewbzz said:

The guy who took over after Edwards had NO support from students or community so what do you expect would happen? 🤔 The same thing will happen to next guy, next guy until there is FULL SUPPORT from students, parents, community, etc.

You couldn't be more wrong with that statement! Don't know what or who you been paying attention to. But that's not true at all.

It’s just hard to follow a person who has been at a job for a long time, whether coach, superintendent, or pastor. In this case it involves egos and a community who is not exactly sure what they do want. In today’s liberalization of American and the “me” generation it’s difficult to hold a coaching job unless you have the “it” to deal with all the mess. I lie HS and wish them much success.

• Like 2

Also take into consideration the assistants he brought in, the prolly have no standing and can be let go 

without cause.   They came in to this situation with their families and now are prolly looking again.  Not

a fun thing to have to do.  As far as head coach maybe community looks at those who hired the man

and how they went about it.   Administration brought him to board to be hired did they give him full control

or did they tie his hands.  Hughes Springs used to have a school district that kids wanted to join

and be a part of now it seems only the softball team is doing well.  Just saying.

• Like 3

I have a hard time believing he didn’t connect with the kids. He is young, energetic, and very likable. 
Besides…that is a RIDICULOUS statement to make when determining the fate of a coach.  I had coaches that I liked and coaches that I didn’t. That did not affect my decision to play. Too often now we are worried about “relationships” and “culture”. Those are buzzwords used by society that lead to entitlement. I’ve seen job postings by coaches that demand they be a “kid magnet”. That coach has also had only one very successful year in terms of wins and losses. Not saying he doesn’t run a good program, just making a statement. This is the only profession where people feel like they can give input in the way that they do. If you were having open heart surgery do you want the surgeon that “builds relationships” or they one that made straight A’s in med school and has been successful. 

54 minutes ago, lynyrdskynyrd said:

I have a hard time believing he didn’t connect with the kids. He is young, energetic, and very likable. 
Besides…that is a RIDICULOUS statement to make when determining the fate of a coach.  I had coaches that I liked and coaches that I didn’t. That did not affect my decision to play. Too often now we are worried about “relationships” and “culture”. Those are buzzwords used by society that lead to entitlement. I’ve seen job postings by coaches that demand they be a “kid magnet”. That coach has also had only one very successful year in terms of wins and losses. Not saying he doesn’t run a good program, just making a statement. This is the only profession where people feel like they can give input in the way that they do. If you were having open heart surgery do you want the surgeon that “builds relationships” or they one that made straight A’s in med school and has been successful. 

Disclaimer: Some humor....some seriousness. 

#1. Leadership 101- you can't be a leader if no one will follow you.

#2. Who has been successful? Where?

#3. I'll hard pass on an 0-10 heart surgeon every time. 

18 minutes ago, HS1988 said:

Disclaimer: Some humor....some seriousness. 

#1. Leadership 101- you can't be a leader if no one will follow you.

#2. Who has been successful? Where?

#3. I'll hard pass on an 0-10 heart surgeon every time. 

1-I totally get that. I was just trying to say that too often coaches get hamstrung because of crap like that. 

2-not naming names. 

3-I agree 100%. If Saben were a heart surgeon I would want him every time. 

I guess my point is this, and I absolutely have no dog in this fight, HS hired a first time HFC. In less than a year they are, or someone, seems VERY UPSET. What happened to hiring someone, especially a rookie, and giving them time to grow into the role?

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, lynyrdskynyrd said:

1-I totally get that. I was just trying to say that too often coaches get hamstrung because of crap like that. 

2-not naming names. 

3-I agree 100%. If Saben were a heart surgeon I would want him every time. 

I guess my point is this, and I absolutely have no dog in this fight, HS hired a first time HFC. In less than a year they are, or someone, seems VERY UPSET. What happened to hiring someone, especially a rookie, and giving them time to grow into the role?

to much expecting immediate success. with this social media culture of getting instant gratification  with likes and comments. it bleeds into sports which is hard to do especially with the situation he was going into. Not saying he did everything right. Just hard with all the extra added pressure.