Week 4 - Carthage @ Gilmer

PantherNation2015

Carthage vs Glimer  

118 members have voted

1. 1. Who Ya Got?

I can't imagine how bad it would be listening to Hillary Clinton do play-by-play of high school football, but the way I see it, Pigskin and Harlan are the next worse thing.

They are so childish with their tired "totally awesome" boloney ... I like to get the scores when I am driving home, but it's almost not worth listening to them because of it ...

I know it was. Kid reads well,carries his fakes out properly and could develope to be one of the best QBs in carthage history. Arm really surprised me. His receivers need to run better routes.

I do not agree that his receivers need to run better routes. Route running was not a factor in the miscues we had in the passing game last night. Surratt will tell you #3 and #7 are two of the best route running receivers Carthage has ever had. Capps will learn to use finesse just as much as power as he continues to develop. He missed 3 sure TD's last night because he tried to rifle the ball to the receiver vs putting it where the receiver could make a play or it would be incomplete. Knowing when to use each is part of his development as a QB. He will get there.

Ok, first time on since game ended. Strange game, as Gilmer seemed to dominate the first 2 quarters and 9 minutes of the 3rd quarter, only to have the wheels totally come off. Certainly Carthage played a role in taking the wheels off. But consider:

Gilmer had 4 possessions with 1st and 10 in Carthage red zone and came away with 0 points. I could easily conceive a scenario where the score is 42-13 heading into the 4th quarter. But that didn't happen so it's a moot point.

To me the difference in the game was the Carthage D line. They totally dominated from about half way through the 3rd quarter until the end of the game. That kept Gilmer from making drives and giving Poppy time to throw.

To me, Gilmer did make halftime adjustments, but not good ones. I thought they became conservative in the third quarter, and drive too much to run and throw the screen. They were successful in the first half attacking down the field, and they let that up in the third quarter. I also wonder why they rotate so many at running back. I believe Webb gives him the best chance, but doesn't get enough time.

I was also concerned that Gilmer didn't handle adversity very well. That's unusual for Gilmer . Last year they were out of the game, but competed until the end. This year, when the onslaught began, they looked shellshocked and seemed not to know how to respond. High school kids overwhelmed by the emotion maybe, but I was surprised at how fast this game got away from them.

Taking nothing away from the Carthage performance. I thought their D line was the difference in the game. And Ingram is a beast. Just wished Gilmer would have finished stronger. But congrats to Carthage.

• Like 1

Although I like it a lot better when we win, it is always a pleasure to play the Carthage Bulldogs. Your program, coaches, players, and fans are all a real class act. Congrats on a hard fought win.

The Buckeyes and Bulldogs are both really good teams that have a chance to be great. Both have some things to work out and if they get those kinks worked out, other teams better watch out.

Ingram was fantastic to watch. That kid can run the ball. Best RB I've seen in high school in a while. He's stronger and faster than last year. Hope he has a long successful career.

Carthage QB will get better. For his 4th game, on this kind of stage, he did really good. Is he a junior? If so, the Bulldogs will have a really good QB next year.

Gilmer defense played good. Secondary has been getting better and the entire defense did a good job against a tough team. They will only continue to get better.

Assuming we stay 4A - D II, I hope we keep playing each other for a long time. I like the home and home. Yes it was cramped and not everybody got to go to the game that wanted. That being said, the atmosphere last night in Gilmer was like a state championship game. I've never been to a pre-district game that felt like this.

Good luck the rest of the way Carthage, hope we both bring home a trophy to East Texas.

• Like 1

Ok, first time on since game ended. Strange game, as Gilmer seemed to dominate the first 2 quarters and 9 minutes of the 3rd quarter, only to have the wheels totally come off. Certainly Carthage played a role in taking the wheels off. But consider:

Gilmer had 4 possessions with 1st and 10 in Carthage red zone and came away with 0 points. I could easily conceive a scenario where the score is 42-13 heading into the 4th quarter. But that didn't happen so it's a moot point.

To me the difference in the game was the Carthage D line. They totally dominated from about half way through the 3rd quarter until the end of the game. That kept Gilmer from making drives and giving Poppy time to throw.

To me, Gilmer did make halftime adjustments, but not good ones. I thought they became conservative in the third quarter, and drive too much to run and throw the screen. They were successful in the first half attacking down the field, and they let that up in the third quarter. I also wonder why they rotate so many at running back. I believe Webb gives him the best chance, but doesn't get enough time.

I was also concerned that Gilmer didn't handle adversity very well. That's unusual for Gilmer . Last year they were out of the game, but competed until the end. This year, when the onslaught began, they looked shellshocked and seemed not to know how to respond. High school kids overwhelmed by the emotion maybe, but I was surprised at how fast this game got away from them.

Taking nothing away from the Carthage performance. I thought their D line was the difference in the game. And Ingram is a beast. Just wished Gilmer would have finished stronger. But congrats to Carthage.

Agree with you about the Carthage D-Line.

Losing Kurt Traylor has really hurt the Buckeyes, but they will get it figured out.

• Like 1

metalhead10, classy post. Carthage fans have well wishes for your Buckeyes and y'all had us worried and quiet after that first half!

Both teams missed opportunities to score. Gilmer scored one defensive TD and Carthage scored two defensive touchdowns.

I think the difference in the game was the Carthage defense in the second half and the Carthage adjustments offensively in the second half.

CHS brought pressure on Poppy in the second half when in the first half they sat back in coverage.

The Dawg defense stopped the run well all night.

Then, midway through the 3rd quarter Surratt decided it was time to stop worrying about getting our first year starter at QB reps and started trying to win the game, i.e. we started running the ball with Ingram much more often than in the first half and first half of the 3rd quarter.

The latter half of the 3rd quarter and all of the 4th quarter is more the style we'll play in district and in the playoffs where we have a nice consistent rushing attack through Ingram with a good mixture of short, medium and deep passes. The Bulldogs will be super balanced offensively as we move into district. In the first half of last night's game we threw it a bunch, which is what Surratt loves to do early in the season with a new starter or even a veteran quarterback.

We quit jacking around and started playing football.

We had some Henderson fans sitting near us who kept asking why we weren't just handing the ball to Ingram. It's painfully obvious to all fans that in non-district games we purposefully force the quarterback into a ton of passes to develop timing and confidence for games that count later in the season.

Gilmer forced Carthage out of that, because the Buckeyes are really good and got on top of us. If Carthage had kept forcing the passing game we would've lost by two or three scores; Gilmer is that good.

We had a great experience yesterday and last night in Gilmer from tailgating to waiting in line to get into the stadium to getting silenced going into halftime to the thrilling comeback victory over an admirable foe.

East Texas football is king!

• Like 1

metalhead10, classy post. Carthage fans have well wishes for your Buckeyes and y'all had us worried and quiet after that first half!

Both teams missed opportunities to score. Gilmer scored one defensive TD and Carthage scored two defensive touchdowns.

I think the difference in the game was the Carthage defense in the second half and the Carthage adjustments offensively in the second half.

CHS brought pressure on Poppy in the second half when in the first half they sat back in coverage.

The Dawg defense stopped the run well all night.

Then, midway through the 3rd quarter Surratt decided it was time to stop worrying about getting our first year starter at QB reps and started trying to win the game, i.e. we started running the ball with Ingram much more often than in the first half and first half of the 3rd quarter.

The latter half of the 3rd quarter and all of the 4th quarter is more the style we'll play in district and in the playoffs where we have a nice consistent rushing attack through Ingram with a good mixture of short, medium and deep passes. The Bulldogs will be super balanced offensively as we move into district. In the first half of last night's game we threw it a bunch, which is what Surratt loves to do early in the season with a new starter or even a veteran quarterback.

We quit jacking around and started playing football.

We had some Henderson fans sitting near us who kept asking why we weren't just handing the ball to Ingram. It's painfully obvious to all fans that in non-district games we purposefully force the quarterback into a ton of passes to develop timing and confidence for games that count later in the season.

Gilmer forced Carthage out of that, because the Buckeyes are really good and got on top of us. If Carthage had kept forcing the passing game we would've lost by two or three scores; Gilmer is that good.

We had a great experience yesterday and last night in Gilmer from tailgating to waiting in line to get into the stadium to getting silenced going into halftime to the thrilling comeback victory over an admirable foe.

East Texas football is king!

Couldn't have said it better. East Texas football is king isn't it. Thanks for the kind words.

Agree with your assessment of the game also. We had y`all on the ropes, but couldn't finish off the champs.

I'm familiar with how Surratt runs Carthage's pre-district. He is one of if not the best high school football coach in Texas. You already know this, but, y`all are lucky to have him. Just about any high school (and a lot of college teams) team in the country would want him as their coach.

Hopefully see y`all next year in Carthage or Gilmer.

Well i was wrong in this one...sort of...Congrats to Carthage..but Gilmer lost this game for themselves more than Carthage won it IMO. Still a win is a win and doesn't matter how it comes Carthage moves on to district with a perfect record... Carthage has some great kids and i hope they do well and same goes for Gilmer.. Always exciting to see these teams play no matter who it is up against

• Like 1

In the talks of mistakes/shooting themselves in the foot ...... Carthage has 4th and one in the first half and did not execute a simple toss play.....blocking was good enough that he would have got the first down......That missed toss is not a turnover in the record books but is virtually a turnover.

I do not agree that his receivers need to run better routes. Route running was not a factor in the miscues we had in the passing game last night. Surratt will tell you #3 and #7 are two of the best route running receivers Carthage has ever had. Capps will learn to use finesse just as much as power as he continues to develop. He missed 3 sure TD's last night because he tried to rifle the ball to the receiver vs putting it where the receiver could make a play or it would be incomplete. Knowing when to use each is part of his development as a QB. He will get there.

Maybe I'm wrong but I didn't recognize some of the routes by them.

I guess Carthage supporters would be saying the same thing if they lost. About losing the game themselves or shooting themselves in the foot. It is what it is. Great ball game, and Carthage showed what they showed all playoff run last year. Carthage did pretty much the same to 5 of 6 playoff opponents last year. I guess all those teams just shots themselves in the foot. People are acting like Carthage came back and squeaked out a win. 35-0 in the second half has to be a little more than Gilmer beating Gilmer. But that's just my opinion. And this talk of Gilmer not scoring in the red zone, haven't followed Carthage football over the last 10 years. The Dawgs have always played a bend but don't break type of defense. Teams like Gilmer are going to have a hard time in the red zone with not much field to work with. Again just my opinion. Hats off to Gilmer. Played lights out in the 1st half. Best of luck the rest of the season. Go bring a title back to ETX.

Lion70, did you attend the Carthage @ Gilmer game last night and sit near the top of the stands on the 50 on the Carthage side?

We had a Henderson fan sit near us and on the way out of the stands this man told me the Lions thumped the Dawgs in Carthage, Carthage was gifted the playoff win in Longview and Carthage lucked themselves all the way to the state championship last year. Then the final statement from our Henderson fan was that the Lions should've won state last year not Carthage.

Lion, was that you????...........

You know... there's alot to be said about making people who Bought tickets to this event having to stand outside in the Heat, rather than allowing them to go in & SIT; Thanks Upshur County folks! It made handing Gilmer their first loss at home since 2010 THAT MUCH. SWEETER!😜

The entire event was laid out by the two superintendents, including the gate opening times...if you listened to any release on the event, they said "gates open @ 5"...call supt. office in Carthage tomorrow for somebody to explain "5" to you

more tickets would be nice but think about how much gilmer made last night on concessions. athletic boosters, band boosters, or some other organization made a lot of cash last night. as did carthage last year. why do they want to give that to longview or tyler?? just a thought

Exactly

I remember at halftime last night thinking there were only two teams in 4A D2 that MIGHT be able to hang with Gilmer: WOS and Cuero. Today, I'm still thinking this. Here's hoping you guys stay healthy and make a deep run.

Thanks for the compliment and support. Nothing but respect for Carthage from Gilmer. Hope the same thing for y`all.

If we meet either of those teams it will be in the state championship, which is a good thing for the Buckeyes.

Hope y`all have a great, injury free season and make it to Jerry's World along with the Buckeyes.

So what did everyone think of the new white helmets with the all white uni's? Some of you older Dawg fans will have to tell us the last time Carthage wore a white helmet in a varsity game? They looked sweet against the black on black of Gilmer!

We were trying to dirty them up. Great job by the Dawgs...there is a reason for their rep...the only "fan gripe" I have is you don't give the Dawg Band, Drill Team & Cheerleaders their due...in the end of the 3rd quarter, that group started the fire that burned in the Dawgs...& they didn't quit until the Fat Lady started signing...I think y'all out performed the Boys of Fall