Is there a team in 3A-D2 that can give Gunter a close game?

TCU44

• TCU44 changed the title to Is there a team in 3A-D2 that can give Gunter a close game?

I dont think Gunter will be seriously challenged this year, but keep an eye on Newton over on this side.  They are MUCH improved over last years team but very young.  Freshman RB is insane and the defense is really good.  They may not challenge Gunter this year but will be a beast the next 3 years!!  I think Newton will be the team to make it out of this region this season.

• Thanks 1
  • LOL! 1

2 hours ago, SAPACK1 said:

I dont think Gunter will be seriously challenged this year, but keep an eye on Newton over on this side.  They are MUCH improved over last years team but very young.  Freshman RB is insane and the defense is really good.  They may not challenge Gunter this year but will be a beast the next 3 years!!  I think Newton will be the team to make it out of this region this season.

Gunter might be in division 2 again.

11 hours ago, TCU44 said:

I just wonder about that West Texas schedule usually not as strong. With that said, is Gunter scheduling better?

In the last 7 years, Gunter has advanced 5 rounds deep to the state semifinal in all 7 of those years, advanced to the state championship game in 5 of those years, and won the title 3 times - amassing a playoff record over that stretch of 36-4.

By the way, Gunter beat Brock (currently sitting at #2 in 3AD1) this year in predistrict 35-12.

Over that 7-year stretch, Gunter has an overall record of 113-6, a playoff record of 36-4.  The two other losses came during predistrict games.  Gunter's last district loss came on October 9, 2015 (8+ years).  Since then, they have won 48 consecutive district games.

Again, in that stretch, Gunter has lost two pre-district games.  A 2019 loss to Pottsboro 27-14.  Pottsboro lost the 3AD1 state championship that year 42-35.  The other predistrict loss was again to Pottsboro in 2020.  They went 3 rounds deep in that year.

If only they could do better at scheduling predistrict games to better prepare them for district play and the playoffs....

Edited by Pax
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Pax said:

In the last 7 years, Gunter has advanced 5 rounds deep to the state semifinal in all 7 of those years, advanced to the state championship game in 5 of those years, and won the title 3 times - amassing a playoff record over that stretch of 36-4.

By the way, Gunter beat Brock (currently sitting at #2 in 3AD1) this year in predistrict 35-12.

Over that 7-year stretch, Gunter has an overall record of 113-6, a playoff record of 36-4.  The two other losses came during predistrict games.  Gunter's last district loss came on October 9, 2015.  Since then, they have won 48 consecutive district games.

Again, in that stretch, Gunter has lost two pre-district games.  A 2019 loss to Pottsboro 27-14.  Pottsboro lost the 3AD1 state championship that year 42-35.  The other predistrict loss was again to Pottsboro in 2020.  They went 3 rounds deep in that year.

If only they could do better at scheduling predistrict games to better prepare them for district play and the playoffs....

Brock is not currently sitting at #2 That was Columbus

11 minutes ago, lionpride08 said:

Brock is not currently sitting at #2 That was Columbus

Perhaps we are just getting the state rankings from different sources.  Brock is currently #2 on Pigskin.  Columbus is #1.  In either case, the point is that Gunter played a top ranked team a class up.  This was just to counter the insinuation that Gunter plays a weak predistrict schedule.  Brock is not weak.  There were some other solid teams on their schedule as well.  I just thought of Brock.

Edited by Pax
  • Like 1

Daingerfield and Newton are my 2 top to get the chance from our side of the bracket. I still strongly believe we can compete with anyone in 3a d2. Ive watched as much as I can of Gunter and Canadian. If those 2 meet in the semis it should be a banger of a game. 

I'm definitely not saying Gunter hasn't played anyone in preseason. I seen their schedule. Very disciplined and a well oiled machine. Defense is greedy and they go full speed all game. It's expected from them. They have one of the best if not the nest coach in D2. My prediction is a Blue Tiger wins the ship this year 💙 👀

• Like 1
  • Roll Eyes 1

1 hour ago, EastTxFinest said:

Daingerfield and Newton are my 2 top to get the chance from our side of the bracket. I still strongly believe we can compete with anyone in 3a d2. Ive watched as much as I can of Gunter and Canadian. If those 2 meet in the semis it should be a banger of a game. 

I'm definitely not saying Gunter hasn't played anyone in preseason. I seen their schedule. Very disciplined and a well oiled machine. Defense is greedy and they go full speed all game. It's expected from them. They have one of the best if not the nest coach in D2. My prediction is a Blue Tiger wins the ship this year 💙 👀

1 hour ago, EastTxFinest said:

In those 7 years Gunter has made it to the semis, Canadian was who we faced in 6 of them; 5 of them in a row.  Gunter has a 4-2 series lead in that state semi-final match-up.  I expect it to be Canadian there again this year.  The eventual state champion was the winner of those semifinal games 4 of the 6 meetings. Hopefully Gunter gets there.  It's become a cool rivalry I think.  Average score in those 6 semifinal matchups is 27-25 in favor of Gunter - and this is rounding.  Average margin of victory is 1.7 points.

Gunter and Canadian are on opposite ends of the enrollment cutoffs for 3AD2.  There's a good chance neither will be there next realignment.  Canadian dropping to 2AD1 while Gunter moves up to 3AD1.  I'd like to see that matchup again while it's still possible.  It would probably be a while...if ever, with them trending in opposite directions.

Sorry for double-posting the original comment.  I tried to delete one of them, but gave up.

Edited by Pax

2 hours ago, house said:

Surratt made a comment early in the year that Gunter looked pretty exceptional.  He might have been preparing for the Christian school out of San Antonio at the time and had reason to explore Gunter.  

Maybe he is looking to schedule them against the Dogs in non district. The Daingerfield Tigers have experienced that action several years vs Gilmer when both teams were in their prime. The Tigers ended up 44-3 in route to winning 3 state championship 2008,2009 and 2010(each loss to Jeff Traylor and the Buckeyes(in 2012 the Tigers were State Finalist) It's not that big of a jump with Carthage being 4A D2 and Gunter borderline 3A D1. DField vs Gilmer faced off each year from atleast 2007 until 2014 or 2015. Will this happen?

Edited by KrookedWolfe

1 hour ago, KrookedWolfe said:

Maybe he is looking to schedule them against the Dogs in non district. The Daingerfield Tigers have experienced that action several years vs Gilmer when both teams were in their prime. The Tigers ended up 44-3 in route to winning 3 state championship 2008,2009 and 2010(each loss to Jeff Traylor and the Buckeyes(in 2012 the Tigers were State Finalist) It's not that big of a jump with Carthage being 4A D2 and Gunter borderline 3A D1. They teams faced off each year from atleast 2007 until 2014 or 2015. Will this happen?

Could be but my guess is it was because they both played CCA early in the season.  

Gunter ought to seriously consider playing up like several other schools across the state do.  They have made their mark and really nothing left to accomplish at 3A-D2.  I know the parents of the kids on the team love blowouts but my guess is the kids would like stiffer competition then maybe once a season.  From this spectator’s standpoint football is only fun to watch if the matchups are at least in the same ballpark talent wise so there is really no need to ever watch Gunter because you already know the outcome.  

• Like 1