REGIONAL FINAL: CARTHAGE vs. GILMER @ Rose Stadium in Friday at 7 PM

RETIREDFAN1

Carthage vs. Gilmer   

117 members have voted

1. 1. Regional Finals

This poll is closed to new votes

3 hours ago, metalhead10 said:

That was 2006 when L.E. put it on us in the first round and won state.

2005 we got beat 61-58 by Canton, which I believe was the last time we have lost at Rose Stadium.

I got to say this, I have been very critical of the Gilmer defense and coaches this year and I think rightfully so, but they deserve credit. They have worked and worked and pulled off a shocker last night. They have adjusted the defense throughout the year and it still ain't that great, but it won last night!

I don't get how our coaches completely get out coached and schemed by a team like Sunnyvale, who we should have beat by multiple touchdowns, but barely beat by a last second field-goal, and then turn around and coach and scheme as good a game as they did against one of the greatest duos of all-time in Coach Surratt and Coach Preston.

That shows that Metzel and his staff CAN do it, but WILL they do it. Guess we will see next week if they are on top of things, or if this really was just a "lightening in a bottle" type game for Gilmer against Carthage.

Hope they got it figured out and beat Glenn Rose.

And for Carthage, as always, what a pleasure to play such a class program. Y`all are the cream of the crop. Coaches, Players, Fans, etc.......just top notch. Y`all are going to be scary next 2 years. I can't wait to see how good that sophomore RB is as a Senior, that kid has it. Same thing with Jett. And #70 for Carthage is a hell of a player. I think he played almost every snap on the o O-Line and D-Line.....that's impressive.

That 2006 LE team had a kid named Will Middlebrooks and a kid named LaMichael James…. I still get nightmares. 

As far as the Gilmer defense, #54 Hagler is a Sophomore and #43 King is a Freshman.  I think part of the defensive improvement was watching those two grow up through the season. Gilmer’s defense is predicated on the linemen keeping the linebackers free to run to the football. Hagler and King just got better and better every game. 

11 minutes ago, CasualObserver70 said:

That 2006 LE team had a kid named Will Middlebrooks and a kid named LaMichael James…. I still get nightmares. 

As far as the Gilmer defense, #54 Hagler is a Sophomore and #43 King is a Freshman.  I think part of the defensive improvement was watching those two grow up through the season. Gilmer’s defense is predicated on the linemen keeping the linebackers free to run to the football. Hagler and King just got better and better every game. 

agree with everything you said.

As they grew they let Aron Bell go back to being middle LB and he has been doing a great job.

11 hours ago, CasualObserver70 said:

Big facts!

14 hours ago, CasualObserver70 said:

Agree. Carthage was young this year, but Gilmer was pretty young as well, especially on both DL and OL. 

1 hour ago, StangtilDeath said:

Still stinging huh?

it might be to some. lol I am not a fan of either school.

"masterful" he calls the offensive and defensive coaching when OT should have never happened.

jeopardize those young men hard work and effort with it going into OT.

I GUARANTEE  that Carthage coaching staff would not do that.

4 hours ago, JasperDawg said:

it might be to some. lol I am not a fan of either school.

"masterful" he calls the offensive and defensive coaching when OT should have never happened.

jeopardize those young men hard work and effort with it going into OT.

I GUARANTEE  that Carthage coaching staff would not do that.

I’d bet a lot of money our boys would’ve been told to get the first down and go to the ground in bounds so you can kill the clock.

It ended up working out for Gilmer in the end. 

15 minutes ago, DAWG91 said:

I'm filing complaint with UIL against Gilmer for just being too dang good friday night.  Nobody scores 47 on the Dawgs Defense!  Nobody!  Something smellls fishy!  Cheaters!

LOL!  I didn't think that would happen, either.  I voted for us to win, against the odds for sure, but I didn't expected the game to get past the 35-38 point threshold for either team.  Our offense played lights out, and our defense, especially our secondary, played outstanding, especially considering that Jett had all the time in the world to pick up apart.

I was definitely disappointed that Tennison didn't slide down before scoring the touchdown at the end of regulation.  The coaches definitely should've planted it in his brain to not score after getting the first down in regulation.  Caden needs to be a little more heady with his situational awareness.  He takes sacks often when he should just throw the ball away, and that has happened all year.  I don't understand why the coaches are not drilling situational awareness in his head.  He is one heck of a player, though, and threw several dimes on the night, made yards rushing when protection broke down, and when his number was called.

All that matters in the end is getting the win, and we did.

Edited by blackflag79
  • Like 1

I just wanted to take a minute to congratulate the Gilmer Buckeyes on a well-deserved win.  Those boys came to play all night long.  Tennison and his receivers were exceptional.  They exploited the area that I felt was our weak point all season.  The Gilmer receivers were clutch when it mattered most during the game.  As far as the Gilmer defense, they didn't look like the defense I had been reading about.  They looked great as well.  Gilmer WON that game and took down my beloved Carthage Bulldogs.  I hope that Gilmer continues to play great the next two games and brings that ring back to East Texas.  

Edited by Bob Parr 2004
  • Like 4
  • Love 2

On 12/2/2023 at 9:35 PM, metalhead10 said:

agree with everything you said.

As they grew they let Aron Bell go back to being middle LB and he has been doing a great job.

Metalhead10 is a buckeye fan now? lol

Does this mean you are going to apologize to coaches and players for all you crazy negative comments throughout the years?  You make Michael Myers proud I am sure.  lol

Frontrunner!

• SMH 1