5A Division I Region II Semi-Finals: Longview vs Lancaster

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (11-1) vs Lancaster Tigers (7-5)  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Lancaster in a close one
    • Lancaster in a blow out

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/25/2023 at 01:00 AM

6 minutes ago, kingwolf said:

The last time they played, Lancaster had 440 yds of offense and limited Forney to right over 200 yds. Going to be a better game than you think.

Yea I believe Lancaster will beat Forney this go round...same as they beat Longview. Depends on LT's attitude though...if they are satisfied with finally beating the boogie man or do they want more. They are very talented on Offense

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, gtee2 said:

Never would have thought this class of kids...(Hale Tatum Willie class) would leave Longview without a state championship...

Same can be said with Trent Malcom and vondrell and Chris Ivory on one team 

Edited by WolverBean
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lobo51 said:

My thing is this if your playing for OT then just kneel the ball 

We were saying that in the box while watching DeSoto/Willis....if you aren't going to take a downfield shot just kneel it out...but I am sure the staff was thinking they'd break one of those runs....

Edited by MattStepp

From the outside looking in, King runs a great football program - kids look like they stay in the weight room and they play extremely hard. 
Probably not going to happen, but probably the best thing for the Lobos for the next few years is for King to stay the head coach but give 95 % of the offensive game planning and play calling during the game to someone else. 

• Like 1

Question, can someone explain to me how come we can’t be a powerhouse and win every single season or even make it to the state championship dang near every season like Carthage, Aledo, Katy, Allen, North Shore, Austin Westlake, Duncanville, Lake Travis, and like Southlake Carroll they use to be there every single season

And I don’t wanna hear an argument about enrollment, we have so many wasted seasons 

9 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

I prefer to stay off Lobo threads 99.9999% of the time....BUT.....

Every.  Single.  Year.  Outside of one season in the last 20 years we endure some Lobo fans and outsiders calling for King's job.

Baffles my mind. 

I'm not saying King is perfect...I'm not saying he doesn't make mistakes....I'm not even saying he doesn't lose games for Longview.....BUT.....

Longview has been rich in talent for the last 30-40 years.  The King years have been the richest in Lobo history.  How many title game appearances since he's been here?  How many semifinal appearances?  Quarterfinals?

It's absolutely unreal.  We are talking Katy, Judson, SLC, ET, LT type stuff....obviously without all the titles.  Is a title the LONE measure of a successful season???

Go back and look at the 90's......80's....70's....... all still rich in history...but NOTHING like the last 20 have been like.

Be careful what you ask for.  You could return to that "mediocrity".  I'm not saying the Lobos WOULD return to that.  I'm saying it COULD happen.  All of a sudden those late playoff losses could become distant memories you could only wish for.

I cannot fathom wanting him gone. 

Sometimes the better team doesn't win.  Sometimes you aren't the better team.

Would the outcome of some of these playoff losses be any different with a different coach?  

Bigger question:  Would you have even made it as far as you did without him????

Congrats to the Lobos on another successful season.  You guys are what so many of us are striving to become.

I'd take him in a heartbeat!!!!!!

32 minutes ago, Lobohooperstarter07 said:

Question, can someone explain to me how come we can’t be a powerhouse and win every single season or even make it to the state championship dang near every season like Carthage, Aledo, Katy, Allen, North Shore, Austin Westlake, Duncanville, Lake Travis, and like Southlake Carroll they use to be there every single season

And I don’t wanna hear an argument about enrollment, we have so many wasted seasons 

The answer is easy...Longview does not have the dominating talent all over the field that those teams mentioned above had when they were making their runs.  Winning district year after year does not mean you have state-wide domination assured.  Most seasons end with a loss for most teams.

7 hours ago, MrBuddyGarrity said:

Does Longview return alot for next season?

If we did, wouldn't matter.

The talent in the last two classes that we just wasted to go along with the team that we just lost to has made me really lose total faith in the current leadership. Think that loss last night was my tipping point. 

Anyway, to answer your question....we graduate a ton.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

I prefer to stay off Lobo threads 99.9999% of the time....BUT.....

Every.  Single.  Year.  Outside of one season in the last 20 years we endure some Lobo fans and outsiders calling for King's job.

Baffles my mind. 

I'm not saying King is perfect...I'm not saying he doesn't make mistakes....I'm not even saying he doesn't lose games for Longview.....BUT.....

Longview has been rich in talent for the last 30-40 years.  The King years have been the richest in Lobo history.  How many title game appearances since he's been here?  How many semifinal appearances?  Quarterfinals?

It's absolutely unreal.  We are talking Katy, Judson, SLC, ET, LT type stuff....obviously without all the titles.  Is a title the LONE measure of a successful season???

Go back and look at the 90's......80's....70's....... all still rich in history...but NOTHING like the last 20 have been like.

Be careful what you ask for.  You could return to that "mediocrity".  I'm not saying the Lobos WOULD return to that.  I'm saying it COULD happen.  All of a sudden those late playoff losses could become distant memories you could only wish for.

I cannot fathom wanting him gone. 

Sometimes the better team doesn't win.  Sometimes you aren't the better team.

Would the outcome of some of these playoff losses be any different with a different coach?  

Bigger question:  Would you have even made it as far as you did without him????

Congrats to the Lobos on another successful season.  You guys are what so many of us are striving to become.

You know I'm a massive King fan. I said back in the late 2000s and I've continued to say such.

That said, we can be at a high level and still have games come down to coaching. We can be at this high level and still question things that are going on.

King isn't going anywhere until he's ready to go. So people wanting that are just blind to situation. He is the greatest coach we have ever had, and he is writing his name into the record books with every single victory now on a state level.

But King has his faults, and it is known to every single Longview fan that watches every single game. There's a lot of playoff losses that we've had that the team was simply better. Pflugerville, Lake Travis, Denton Ryan. You go up against teams some times that you just do not match up well with.

Last night and even last year was not that case. 2022 was as write home of a state championship as you've ever seen in Longview lore. Everyone will say ohhhh it's Aledo. I don't care. We were up two scores and went conservative and got shut out in the second half. Do I think we're a state championship team this year without Tatum? Probably not. Are we a state semi-final team again? Certainly. Longview was dominating Lancaster in that first half, and guess what, we got conservative. Again.

1:00 to go and just like in the 2005 loss to South Garland, they give the ball to a sophomore for no reason. Difference this year, we gave it to a sophomore back that is known for fumbling. All he did last year on the freshman team was fumble. All he has done this year, outside of two runs this year, was fumble.

It's just mind boggling some of the decision making that goes on, and the play calling that goes on, when ever single person from the stands can see what needs to happen. First half, unreal play calling. Using the tight ends that we're known for. Trusting in your quarterback to move the ball. Second half, nadda. Let's run right at their biggest defensive guy every single play.

This idea that we could return to mediocrity though is just ridiculous to me. Longview was not mediocre before King. Were we making run like we have recently? Obviously not. But we weren't some scrub program. We were making runs here and there, we were in the district title talk nearly every single year. There's always going to be a chance with the next coach that comes in. But the foundation that King and company have set is very very high and has been done very very well. Maybe the next coach takes us to the next level that King has been on the cusp of for the past 20 years.

Again, King is a great coach. His level of consistency in 5A/6A football in East Texas is completely unmatched. But he deserves to get criticized just as much as the next guy when the ball is placed at his feet.

Is what it is. Onto most likely 6A, where for whatever reason we've had more success overall than we have in 5A.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ANTI said:

The talent in the last two classes that we just wasted to go along with the team that we just lost to has made me really lose total faith in the current leadership. Think that loss last night was my tipping point. 

Taylor Tatum, Jalen Hale, two serviceable QBs the last two years.

An elite defense with Willie Nelson.

The #1 back in our history. The #1 received in our history. And still can't get to the title game. Despite having 2 games of leading by 2 scores.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LetsGoEagles said:

Pretty much every year I hear how Longview is so talented and this is the year and THE team. And then it seldom is. What happens? 

I mean, we were beyond talented this year. No one in Lobo land was saying that this is the year. Aledo is the by far #1 in the class this year and everyone knew it.

Do we win last night if we have Tatum in the backfield? Probably. But it would just mask our problems before Aledo got ahold of us.

Well, well,well, watching this game has me speechless. I really don’t know what to say. Great Season lobos. I was hoping that East Texas could have filled up Att on Friday at state championships. 

Does King call offense? Do you think it’s time for a change? Not extremely close to program. Just follow cause they’re east Texas as am I. Just wanted to see what Longview faithful thought . 

Just now, LoboFan07 said:

I mean, we were beyond talented this year. No one in Lobo land was saying that this is the year. Aledo is the by far #1 in the class this year and everyone knew it.

Do we win last night if we have Tatum in the backfield? Probably. But it would just mask our problems before Aledo got ahold of us.

Oh shoot, Tatum didn’t play? I missed that. 

23 minutes ago, ANTI said:

I bet you guys still contend based on the awesome sub varsity talent. The championship window may have closed . Now would be a good time if they were going to make a change. I know y’all tend to get overly excited but these past two seasons were missed opportunities.