best quarterback in your school's history.

nacdragon07

10 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

That’s a good question. Justin Samford had the most wins, Chad Lawrence was really exciting to watch, Cole Leflett was probably the toughest football player I ever saw and took us to the state semifinals, and Will Vaughn had a little bit of everything. 

I'll say this. When Cole came in the huddle and called the play there was an almost over calming feeling. I love Will but he was a sophomore when he was calling plays to me and I never felt that.

11 hours ago, BevBrownJr said:

How about James Street in the 60s (starting QB for the national champion Texas  Longhorns under Darrell Royal) or Jeb Blount in the early 70s (played at Tulsa and in the NFL)?

Jeb has a Super Bowl ring as well, although he didn't actually play. I remember meeting him when I was a kid at a Lobo game and him wearing it. I remember it being absolutely massive. Lol

• Like 1

Celina -- Adam Herrin (1998-2000 seasons)

Started as a sophomore in 98. Won three straight titles as a QB -- Kyler Murray the only other QB in TXHSFB to win three straight -- and won the lion's share of the 68-game winning streak.d

He was also a hard-hitting, dominant safety.

15 minutes ago, d0tc0m said:

Started as a sophomore in 98. Won three straight titles as a QB -- Kyler Murray the only other QB in TXHSFB to win three straight -- and won the lion's share of the 68-game winning streak.d

Daingerfields Tyler Boyd 43-3 as a starter. Only losses were to very loaded Gilmer teams each year. 3 state titles 🏆 🏆 🏆 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

While at Longview, definitely has to be Haynes King. Not even really close honestly. Holds practically ever passing record there is for the Lobos, not to mention help lead Longview to the 2018 title at the state’s highest level.

After playing at Longview, well that’s a different story. 

James Street is a worthy mention. Multisport standout athlete at LHS. Played a key role in an iconic game for UT. 

Overton would have to break them up by different eras...   Joe Johnston, Donnie Gill, Tony Jackson, Kelly Cook, Steven Sikes, Travis Jackson, Raymond Chappell, Jake Marshall, probably a few others I haven't thought of...  and the Still kid likely will have to be included at some point, considering the numbers he's putting up. 

2 hours ago, d0tc0m said:

False. Bremond Tigers qb Roshauud Paul won 3 state championships and finished his high school career 47-0 as the starting qb.

As mentioned above twice.  Tyler Boyd from Daingerfield QB'ed 3 State Championships as well.  

Daingerfield has had other great QB's as well.  Hard not to mention Doug Pittman with the 83 team.  Evans Brothers Jamie & Greg.  I've not kept up with the recent QB's.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, mavfanpanamacity said:

Marshall 

Old Timer YA Tittle LSU-49ers-NY Giants NFL Hall of Fame

modern era

Benny Valentine 1988 Undefeated (lost to Dallas Carter in the quarter finals 22-18 , Jessie Armstead scored with :17 left. Carter had to forfeit their entire season and that left Marshall the only undefeated team in 5A football . Marshall would have played Odessa Permian the next week in the Semi Finals and Marshall had already beated Permian earlier in the season. Converse Judson was awarded the title even though they were trounced by Carter in the title game. Marshall would have won the title if Carter would have be not allowed to play in the playoffs to begin with as the rules stated. Marshall got their revenge on Judson in 1990 beating them for the title in the Astrodome) Valentine went on to play at Tulane and then reunited with Dennis Parker at UNT and played QB

Chad Fox- 1990 State Championship-Juco and UNT briefly 

Honorable Mention 

CJ Byrd Back to back state title games and played qb at Southern University 

Darius Jones-Baylor played DB

Wayne Nichols-Houston played DB

Allen Survia- Texas-Taft College- Raiders played DB

Edit for CJ Byrd

Tatum has had some good ones. 

If you want skins on the wall - Cashas Pollard(05-07) 42-4 as a starter. Back to back State titles. Played for a 3-peat and lost by 3 in OT in the title game.

If you want record breaking stats - Kendric Malone(2019-2021) set all the school passing records.

If you want monster Duel Threat juggernauts look no further than Uncle and Nephew family gene pool Stephen Hodge(02-04) and Jalen Overstreet (10-11).  Both had the athleticism, meaness, and abilities to completely take over a game, and did just that many, many times.  

The one that flew under the radar. OB Jones(17-19). I think that I think he is quite possibly and arguably the best QB talent Tatum ever had but suffered through a coaching change each year as QB and very little help in his class. The current starter for the SAU Muleriders. 

Current QB Cole Watson is one of the best competitiors I've personally ever seen. A master of the craft known as the flexbone.....the kid doesn't go down easy and just always seems to make the right decision almost every play. Catch him at the next level playing LB for LA Tech following this season.

Edited by Eagle8

2 hours ago, Mr. P said:

Overton would have to break them up by different eras...   Joe Johnston, Donnie Gill, Tony Jackson, Kelly Cook, Steven Sikes, Travis Jackson, Raymond Chappell, Jake Marshall, probably a few others I haven't thought of...  and the Still kid likely will have to be included at some point, considering the numbers he's putting up. 

Kelly Cook was kin to me by marriage once upon a time. Coached me in middle school as well. Punk gave me licks in middle school, too lol.

• LOL! 1

4 hours ago, d0tc0m said:

Matthew Bishop Aledo 09, 10, 11

4 hours ago, coachc45 said:

Daingerfields Tyler Boyd 43-3 as a starter. Only losses were to very loaded Gilmer teams each year. 3 state titles 🏆 🏆 🏆 

2 hours ago, VonG said:

False. Bremond Tigers qb Roshauud Paul won 3 state championships and finished his high school career 47-0 as the starting qb.

31 minutes ago, ToddG said:

Matthew Bishop Aledo 09, 10, 11

Yep, yep yep. Forgot all about these. My mistake. All these were fantastic QBs, too. Those Daingerfield teams were so good.

20 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

Nothing against Haynes in the post high school comment.

But we do have a national title winning QB in our vault lol.

James Street was a legend in Longview when I was growing up he never lost a game with the Longhorns.  I remember businesses had photos of him on their walls when I was a kid.  

I know Kirt Griffin who was the 1986 Lobos starting QB and he went on to play at Tulsa and in the Arena Leagues.  I still think he would have been a better baseball player, because he could pitch, bat, and field.  He gave baseball up when he was 14 and concentrated solely on football.  I told his dad that he should be back playing baseball at least in the summer.  

• Like 1